Will the car radio still operate when using android auto for navigation?

A

AC Question

I'm ready to get a new car and would like to avoid purchasing OnStar turn-by-turn navigation. I listen to local radio while driving and don't have music saved on my phone. When I have Android Auto connected so that I can use the navigation features, will the car radio still operate normally? Or, once the car connects to Android Auto, will Android now require I use its music functionality?

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
For me, yes, I have the Pioneer 4100-NEX and I am able to use Android Auto and simultaneously listen to SiriusXM, the car's radio, my SD card in the Pioneer, etc. Just not the bluetooth audio obviously.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I just tried this out too in my 2016 Honda Civic and was surprised that it actually worked flawlessly. I set my GPS then switched the source to local radio and the GPS directions were still read over the music. I wasn't expecting that, but am glad it works.

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Works fine for me as well on a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. Can leave Google Maps navigation running, and switch back to the car's native entertainment system interface, and do anything I want there. As long as I don't have the voice from Maps muted, it will continue to provide voice directions when needed, even when using the car's native entertainment system.

vexxler

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
I like to keep the map visible at all times even when I have no destination programmed. It sounds like you are getting turn by turn directions, but since you have switched the input back to the radio, I assume you are no longer seeing the maps displayed. Is that correct? If so, is there no way to view the map on Android Auto and be listening to your normal radio stations?

physicsguy

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
On the Pioneer, you can switch (toggle) back and forth with the mode button (see below). You can have the map up without navigation, your Google Now cards, phone dialer, whatever you want showing in AA, and also switch to normal Pioneer audio functions/AV screens. And the Pioneer audio plays all the while (or your audio of choice).

4100.jpg

DLCPhototography

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I like to keep the map visible at all times even when I have no destination programmed. It sounds like you are getting turn by turn directions, but since you have switched the input back to the radio, I assume you are no longer seeing the maps displayed. Is that correct? If so, is there no way to view the map on Android Auto and be listening to your normal radio stations?

I can engage the Audio using the car's stereo (mainly Sirius/XM for me), and then switch back to Android Auto to see the Google Maps display. I can then use my steering wheel control to navigate through the channels as I usually do (with a slight drop-down occurring at the top of the Android Auto display showing the change in stations). So it does integrate pretty well overall.

The main car navigation system can do a 'split-screen' type of display, where the map and the radio interfaces are both shown. But there doesn't seem to be a way to have it show the Android Auto navigation map in that split-screen view, although it will show the native map, and the Android Auto audio interface simultaneously.

A bit hard to explain all the combinations, but it is pretty versatile, although not perfect.

ETA:
I do have the car navigation system as well as Android Auto. One of the default screens shows the car's navigation, and the audio as well, so you can still see the map that way, although it's not the Android Auto map.