"Play music" stopped working

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Today, when I say "play music", I get 'not sure how to help with play music'. It worked the other day. 'Pause' no longer works as well. And when I say 'help', it reads me the definition of the word help rather than a list of commands.

" play inxs" or play "suicide blonde" still works so I am wondering why the other commands stopped working.

Anyone else see this?

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed a similar thing using TuneIn radio. It used to be I could say "Play 100.7" or "Play kcrw" and it would at least bring back some results, correct or not. Now it says "sorry can't help with Play 100.7", or "don't know how to help with....". I uninstalled and reinstalled Android Auto, cleared the cache for android auto, uninstalled and reinstalled TuneIn radio. None of that helped. It seems to be a Google problem, not necessarily an individual app problem. I am thinking to try to uninstall and reinstall the Google app next. Googles only official AA help seems to be a twitter feed, seems kind of weird.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Think you're right. Cleared cache on the Google app and got 'play music' working again. But 'pause' would not work instead bringing up 'paws' on Maps, and after trying it, 'play music' then stopped again. Help still defines the word.

Tried clearing cache AND data, but that was just a waste of time.

zelium

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Today, when I say "play music", I get 'not sure how to help with play music'. It worked the other day. 'Pause' no longer works as well. And when I say 'help', it reads me the definition of the word help rather than a list of commands.

" play inxs" or play "suicide blonde" still works so I am wondering why the other commands stopped working.

Anyone else see this?

After I started to use Android Auto for the first time recently, I have never been successful playing Google Play Music by using voice command. I tried 'play music', 'play led zeppelin', 'play next song', and 'pause' and none of them worked even one time. I kept hearing 'not sure how to help with play music.' The strange thing is that Google Maps was fine using voice command like 'navigate to country school'. I might delete cache in 'Google App' and try again.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I similarly have experienced the same "not sure how to help with blah blah" from the TuneIn radio app and another internet radio app I have. The problem does seem to stem from Google and not the 3rd party apps. Did clearing the Google cache fix it or help? I was considering trying to roll back updates to the Google app since you can't uninstall it.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I thought i was the only one with this issue. I got the same problems. I use Google play music and always used voice commands to switch between playlists. Example: play playlist my favorites. It pretty much always worked. Along with "play tears for fears" or other artists. But now it just says "sorry I don't known how to help with that". Voice with maps seems to still work but I noticed it's not quite as accurate as it was. The odd thing is if I use the exact same voice command for playlists using Google now (not plugged into android auto) it works flawlessly every time. For some reason within android auto Google voice becomes very stupid and useless. It wasn't always like this. Only started a month or so ago for me. I'm using a LG V10 with Android 5.1. Stock, no root with a 2016 Sonata. I tried uninstalling android auto and play music and reinstalling. Cleared cache etc. Didn't work. I'll try doing the same with the Google app. Though it seems to be a temporary fix based on others results? I hope they fix this soon. As it is, I have to grab my phone to do anything with Android auto negating the very purpose of the app.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I just did that. Thank you. Now hopefully Google looks into this. Voice commands with Android auto and music was a huge feature for me.

zelium

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
After I tried all the tips mentioned on this forum (like delete cache in Google App), I came to a conclusion that voice command does not work on my combination (Samsung Note 4 and Android Auto). I have tried all the voice commands known to play (or to operate) music on different apps (Google Play Music, Amazon Prime Music, BeyondPod) and it never worked, even once. But other voice commands to navigate the Google Maps and to make a call were working just fine.

The one thing really annoyed me additionally was that after I made few clicks on a touch screen, Android Auto did not allow me to make more clicks for a safety reason. I haven't seen this issue on voice commands.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
It's not your phone. I used a note 4 with Android auto in my Sonata back in November. Voice worked fine. Same with my LG G4 and my new V10. But a month ago or so it stopped working as mentioned above.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Did you guys hear anything back from Google about this? I get the "Sorry don't know how to help with ....." from my TuneIn radio app for many voice commands, when they used to work a couple months ago. I have a Nexus 5 2013 and a Sonata. I have not yet tried setting my phone back to factory defaults. Have any of you tried that? I have uninstalled and reinstall things, cleared cache, etc, with no effect. Factory reset is about the only thing I can think of that is left to try on my end.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
It's not your phone. I used a note 4 with Android auto in my Sonata back in November. Voice worked fine. Same with my LG G4 and my new V10. But a month ago or so it stopped working as mentioned above.

Since we both have Sonatas, do you think it could be related to the Sonata head unit? I know nothing has changed on it but I didn't know if somehow the AA app on the head unit could get corrupted, damaged in some way or need some sort of cache cleared or something.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Since we both have Sonatas, do you think it could be related to the Sonata head unit? I know nothing has changed on it but I didn't know if somehow the AA app on the head unit could get corrupted, damaged in some way or need some sort of cache cleared or something.

I highly doubt it. I'm not aware of any sort of cache clearing. My understanding of Android auto is that all the heavy lifting is done via phone. The cars head unit simply acts as a display and routes functions to phone (ie voice button goes to phone not built in voice). It seems to me Samsung phone's in General seems to have a lot of issues with Android auto. This is probably just another Samsung bug unfortunately.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: "Play music" stopped working

It seems to me Samsung phone's in General seems to have a lot of issues with Android auto. This is probably just another Samsung bug unfortunately.
this simply is not true, my Sprint S6 worked smooth as silk with AA, after a hiccup with a usb extension, my Sprint S7 edge also works smooth as silk with AA........

zelium

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I highly doubt it. I'm not aware of any sort of cache clearing. My understanding of Android auto is that all the heavy lifting is done via phone. The cars head unit simply acts as a display and routes functions to phone (ie voice button goes to phone not built in voice). It seems to me Samsung phone's in General seems to have a lot of issues with Android auto. This is probably just another Samsung bug unfortunately.

I have only used Samsung phones ever since I started to use a smartphone. I love Android Auto but am disappointed in Samsung phones not get along well with Android Auto, so my next phone will not be Samsung for the first time. I chose the Samsung Note 4 for their VR capability, but I value Android Auto more now. Samsung should know about this.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have only used Samsung phones ever since I started to use a smartphone. I love Android Auto but am disappointed in Samsung phones not get along well with Android Auto, so my next phone will not be Samsung for the first time. I chose the Samsung Note 4 for their VR capability, but I value Android Auto more now. Samsung should know about this.
don't label Samsung as being at fault here, it's a carrier thing, lemme guess, you're on Verizon? my Sprint S7 edge works flawlessly with AA, last I checked, Samsung makes the S7 edge.......

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site

So if it is all in the phone, do you think a factory reset would clear some issues we are having with voice commands not working? Have you personally tried a factory reset? I am at a loss as to what else to try, unless there is a problem specific to Nexus 5 2013 phones, but you have a Samsung. So we both have a similar voice command problem but we have two different phones. Having a Nexus means I had received a security update in January and February, so I wonder if one of those could have caused the issue.

CloudSpeaker

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Just switched from iOS (iPhone 6s / Apple Watch) to Android (Nexus 6P / Moto 360).

Being new to Android Auto, I thought I was doing something wrong. In my 2016 Honda Accord, I can't get any music-related voice commands to work. With most attempts, I get "I don't know how to help with..." With many other attempts, the mic icon briefly turns blue instead of red, then the request times out with no response whatsoever.

I'm VERY happy with my switch to Android, but this (and the brutal Twitter client situation) is my only hiccup. I'm looking forward to seeing a resolution.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
FYI, yesterday I noticed "play music" and "stop music" are back. Forgot to check "help", but guessing that's fixed too.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed same thing. Those commands work again. So does playing playlists via voice. I tried them literally just a few days back with the latest AA update and they didn't work. No freaking clue what changed. Far as I know nothing updated. Could be a server side change. Regardless, it seems to be working as it used to. And for that I'm quite happy...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci