Why does Android Auto not work after the Marshmallow update?

A

AC Question

why does android auto not work after marshmallow update?

galaxy s6 updated to marshmallow, android auto does not work, 2016 GMC truck.
Any help?

Bob Pennington

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: why does android auto not work after marshmallow update?

I have the same problem, updated to Marshmallow and Android Auto won't connect to my 2016 Chevy Colorado.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Forgot this question....it worked ok before the update?

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

Sadly, the MM update has caused LOTS OF ISSUES, with most every device, some bad, and some not so bad. Regardless, it's my opinion, that since this issue started, apparently, after the update, as indicated by the original poster above, I would recommend a Full Factory Reset of your phone, by going into "backup & reset" in your settings.

I would be sure to back up your phone to your pc, get all of your important photo's off the phone, and use app(s) like Smart Switch and/or Helium. Helium backs up all your app data, in order to keep your save data on your favorite apps. Do some research, and be comfortable with what''s being backed up.

Bob, without exception, I do a factory reset after every major update, I don't wait for issues to arise, in my opinion, its a win-win when you do it after each major update.

Hope this helps!

Chris

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Can someone be a little more specific concerning what to do if Android Auto has quit working properly? I have a Kenwood DDX9702S head unit that worked great with Android Auto, Google Maps, along with Pandora, IHeart Radio, Spotify, Amazon Music, and Google Play with my Samsung Galaxy S6. Now it only acknowledges Google Play and only a small portion of that. All of the music programs work on the phone, they just will no longer work thru Android Auto with the DDX9702S.

Since the marshmallow update, I keep getting a message on my phone that Kenwood Smartphone Control has stopped. Instead of doing anything to the phone, I uninstalled Android Auto and reinstalled it. Of course it didn't help because if it did, I wouldn't be on here now.

I am not very tech savvy so it intimidates me a bit when someone tells me to factory reset. Like many others, I treat my phone like I used to treat my desktop, and I probably have 80 programs and thousands of songs on five different music programs.

Can someone give me a set of procedures to do that won't destroy my phone? Thanks in advance.

Mike

DrKrizzle

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

swipe down notifications and select USB connection - change from Charging Only to Media Transfer. I'm trying to figure out how not to do that all the time.

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I have an HTC One M9 and a 2015 Hyundai Sonata. I was successfully using Android Auto when I had Android 5.0 OS on the phone. I just upgraded to Android 6.0 and Android Auto no longer works when I connect to the cars USB port. Here are the individual steps I have taken and they all have not worked.

1 - Uninstalled/Reinstalled the Auto app, disabled/reinabled Auto on the car system, disconnected/reconnected bluetooth to phone, changed usb cable
2 - Wiped the OS Cache
3 - Did a factory reset of the phone and reinstalled all apps from scratch
4 - Activated the developer option and set the USB to MTP

HTC and especially Hyundai are clueless. The phone seems to connect/disconnect and screens for Android Auto permissions come and go and are not diplayed long enough to enter anything. I've even enabled developer options and turned usb debuging on.

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Well, the good news Stephen, is the powers to be at least know the marshmallow update has screwed up Android Auto users across the board and I am just going to wait and see if someone will unscrew what the new update has done for Android Auto users. With Android Auto being owned by Google, I would imagine the fix will come soon, as they are trying very hard to sell this concept to the various automakers. It's harder to do if it doesn't work! So, come on Google!

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I communicated the problem to the Android group and the flurry messages ended with them telling me that it is a Hyundai problem. As most of us suspect it is a Marshmallow problem and not a problem with the Android Auto app. If this is the case, we will probably be waiting for quite a while for an OS update. Even if the phone manufacturer qualifies the fix, the wireless vendors will be the bottleneck to get it out.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Anyone with an S6 and having issues, I would also recommend going to app caller Car Mode and deleting cache data. I don't have Mm yet but experienced quite a few problems, most were tied to AA and Car Mode app data being stale.

Posted via the Android Central App

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
In this new electronic "can't do without it" stage we all seem to be at, it appears when something goes wrong among various suppliers there is a significant amount of finger pointing done because no one wants to admit they could possibly be the cause of the problem. The Android Auto issues are across a number of platforms that worked perfectly until the Marshmallow rollout. While it is somewhat normal for there to be a lot of issues after a major update, the biggest obstacle is for someone to actually admit what and who caused the issues.

Funny thing about Android Auto, is that it is such a fairly new application itself and people who bought new vehicles or a higher dollar head unit that had Android Auto, it required a bit of education to get all the kinks out. Once the kinks were out, most everyone I know who had it loved it, including me. Once you understood how Android Auto worked, you also knew how dependent you were on your cellphone, as it is the workhorse of Android Auto.

Now I have a Kenwood head unit that uses Android Auto. From reading all the various posts, I have noticed that users who have Iphones and Carplay are not having issues. Instead, it is just those of us who have android cellphones who are having issues with Android Auto. Let's see....if Android Auto didn't change anything, the only other common denominator is.......wait for it......the android Marshmallow update!

Now we will have to wait and see who has the most juice and/or who steps up and fixes this mess. The audacity is immense!

Last edited:

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

Except there are many running Android M that are not having issues with Android Auto. It is more complicated than just the OS upgrade.

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site

Oh, I agree totally. I was introduced to the complications when I first bought and installed the Kenwood head unit and found that "some" android phones would work better than others, as it related to not just using Android Auto but also some other features as well. Initially I was a bit ticked about not being told as I was considering buying the unit that the current Samsung phones (which was the S6 then) was one of the phones that couldn't be hooked up via a MHL cable because Samsung no longer supported MHL. What made me accept how things were, was Android Auto and how it interacted with the Kenwood unit. I was sold completely, but still thought Kenwood was a little misleading about their marketing. I have to admit I got addicted to using Android Auto in my vehicle especially the part about being hands free. Everything worked great for the last 5 months until the marshmallow update. Now it is a brick until someone comes up with the fix. But, I agree with you totally with what you said.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Except there are many running Android M that are not having issues with Android Auto. It is more complicated than just the OS upgrade.

yup, my Sprint S7 Edge works smoothly with my Pioneer 8100nex, I had an issue with a usb cable extension I was using, I eliminated the extension and its been great! I think alot of the issues are carrier based.......

esalter

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site

Does that really work?? I JUST upgraded to MM and just bought my 2016 Sonata TODAY only to find that it doesn't sync. Bought this particular car because of Android Auto.

mpisani

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick note here. I have the AVH4100-NEX running Android Auto on my Samsung S7 Edge (Verizon) but still have to change the settings to MTP every time I plug in. According to Samsung there's no way to make MTP the default. But after seeing posts where other network phones aren't having this issue I called Verizon but again - MTP cannot be the default. Now for the good part. I called Pioneer. They tell me they have a Verizon, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and they plug it into the same head unit I have and Android Auto comes up without changing anything. So they're telling me that on their Verizon device MTP is the default. If anyone has a fix for this I'd love to hear it.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I would say if there ever were a "hitting rock bottom" when it comes to the difference between the Android and Apple universes, this may be it. I think Apples total control of their universe is really going to pay off in regards to Car Play. It seems AA is really showing the cracks in Googles approach to things as now with AA you have SO many players involved in getting this thing to work. You have Google, you have the phone manufacturer, you have carriers, you have automobile manufacturers. As people have mentioned, the standard answer from tech support, when they don't know the answer, is to blame one of the other parties involved in the chain. You wonder who is ultimately responsible. Maybe no one, maybe every one. It may be easy to say that AA is still very new and they are working out the kinks but I just don't know. With so many parties potentially introducing changes to their link in the chain, how are things ever supposed to settle down to a stable, dependable product?

mike1sc

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Actually, comparing Apple to Android phones as it relates to Android Auto or Car Play is interesting. I have had a Samsung Galaxy S6 synced to a Kenwood 9702S in a Toyota Tundra since August 2015, and while you have a valid point about AA having to work with a various number of models, in my particular setup, my android phone does much more than its Apple counterpart and I have been quite happy with the overall performance of Android Auto for over seven months, that is, until the marshmallow update screwed it up, and make no bones about it, it was the marshmallow update that did it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta