Android Auto for maps and iphone for calls

81mrg81

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I am torn apart. I have an iphone as my general usage phone and android device (no sim) for some other stuff.
I would use carplay but I just hate apple maps. Worst app ever.

So anyway, I've tried android auto and and it so much better than carplay but ... I need to keep my iphone for calls.

Can I have both? Android for maps/apps and iphone for calls only?
So far it doesn't seem like it would work.

Android phone plugged in as android auto device takes over also BT so iphone can't work as a car phone anymore.

I tried also a different approach. Use iphone as a hotspot and have android auto with hangouts/google number activated.
Unfortunately whenever hangouts has incoming call, only the android phone itself rings (and of course iphone). It does not pass hangouts voice to car's infosystem. Seems to me like just a simple software limitation. It would be sweet if they let hangouts and hangouts dialer work with android play.

Do I have any other options?

Thanks!

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so. Android auto demands that Bluetooth be enable on the same device to car. If you disable Bluetooth or disable it for phone calls it'll complain to you and not work until it comes back on (or I think it forces it back on automatically)

81mrg81

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Right, that what I've noticed. Honestly I don't understand why it needs both ... usb cable and BT.
Perhaps there are other options? Is google voice/hangouts calls/dialer coming to android auto eventually?

SuperTongue

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Right, that what I've noticed. Honestly I don't understand why it needs both ... usb cable and BT.
Perhaps there are other options? Is google voice/hangouts calls/dialer coming to android auto eventually?

USB cable is used for media audio (music, podcasts, etc) and BT is used for call audio and voice commands. This is because your phone is basically just using Cast to send video and audio to your car's display/speakers. BT is added in to control everything or at least that's my understanding.

As far as Google Voice goes, I use it with AA on a regular basis but I have a SIM card in my phone and just have GV ring my carrier number. This works pretty well and allows me to keep on the call screening feature since AA has a dialer that comes up during a call. GV texts are still a bit broken (you can only reply to incoming GV texts but can't send one from scratch. It will use your carrier number if you try to send it without already replying to someone).

Hangouts Dialer does not work with AA. The only way to get GV calls on AA would be to pop the sim into your Android phone and have GV ring your carrier number. Probably not an option for you, unfortunately.