Android Auto announcements from Google I/O

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
- AA will be able to run just on the phone, rather than require a compatible head unit as the display

- "OK Google" voice trigger in addition to using the mic icon or steering wheel buttons (passengers could have fun with that one)

- Looks like Waze will be coming to the AA platform sometime

- Auto makers like Honda and Hyundai will soon have their own AA compatible apps for auto-specific functions

Android Auto will soon run on your phone just like any other app

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused on the first one. The whole point of AA (for me) is connecting to and integrating with my cars 8inch screen and other car functions. Not connecting to a head unit means it's just another "driving" app that lives solely on your phone and not integrated to the car. We've had those for years. Tried a few out back during my Evo 4G days. They underwhelmed me, and I found it distracting.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm confused on the first one.

Totally agree - this news puts the AA interface on a driving app and the only car integration is by bluetooth. The full AA integration with my car's radio while getting voice-over nav and alerts on a larger screen provides a lot of value and less distraction.

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The AA running on the phone is for those who can't or don't want to put in a new system in their car, so it's basically a driving mode on the phone with all the AA functionality.

Posted via the Android Central App

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
- AA will be able to run just on the phone, rather than require a compatible head unit as the display

- "OK Google" voice trigger in addition to using the mic icon or steering wheel buttons (passengers could have fun with that one)

- Looks like Waze will be coming to the AA platform sometime

- Auto makers like Honda and Hyundai will soon have their own AA compatible apps for auto-specific functions

Android Auto will soon run on your phone just like any other app

Any release date announced for the update?

Posted via the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm confused on the first one. The whole point of AA (for me) is connecting to and integrating with my cars 8inch screen and other car functions. Not connecting to a head unit means it's just another "driving" app that lives solely on your phone and not integrated to the car. We've had those for years. Tried a few out back during my Evo 4G days. They underwhelmed me, and I found it distracting.

I played with it some last week. Definitely is like having an AA-esque Car Mode. No more, no less.

On one hand, I get it. Car Modes typically suck. Let's bring something kinda like AA to devices — and devs can use the exact same code.

OTOH, I'd much rather folks not get the impression that it's OK to futz with their phones while driving. (They at least made it a little annoying to dump out of — have to actually exit the app from the drawer.)

A few thoughts on things here:

Android Auto upshifts as it starts to hit its cruising speed | Android Central

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Thinking back four or five years ago, I could swear they had a car mode that disabled the screen, except for Google Maps. It sounds like this will be something similar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10