Need help undersanding android auto

Jeff_droid

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I'm a newbie on the forum and pre-newbie to Android stuff.
I have purchased a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX for my Jeep. I still have a Blackberry that I use for my on-call paging which works just fine. But, I'm going to actually get out of the stone age and get an Android phone. So, that leaves me with the question of how to connect to my Head Unit. Talk about a daunting array of connectivity options... I guess what I want most is to get the wiring configured with as much flexibility as possible so as not to have to open up the dash after I've completed the installation.
From what I've read it seems that Android Auto might be the best solution. However I don't know if I should connect with just a usb, or usb and hdmi, or usb and hdmi to MHL? Or, should I be looking at a Miralink option? I get the impression that Miralink just displays the phone screen on the HU screen but the controls are all from the phone. Is that accurate? Then there's Pioneer's interface which is appradio which I understand is much more limited than Android Auto. I've read that if you want to use Android Auto you should run appradiounchained reloaded ... whatever that is. I will also be wanting to buy an Android phone/tablet. What do they call it these days for a big one ? a phablet? I'd like to be able to surf while connected to my home internet and not using up wireless minutes. So, I thought I might want a 7 or 8 inch display. Also want to use phablet for navigation. Anyone have suggestions for a unit that is known to be nicely compatible with the 4200NEX ?
Can anyone help clarify this stuff for me?

Thanks.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a 8100NEX that I had professionally installed in my VW since I wanted to retain steering wheel controls like volume, track prev/next etc. The installer ran USB extensions from the head unit to my lower console and I plug whatever cable I need (used to be microUSB, now its USB-C) to my phone. I don't have any HDMI/MHL connections since I'm not interested in putting video on my headunit display. I have a Nexus 5X - the Nexus line should stand the best chance for compatibility although there are stories to the contrary. No need for appradiounchaned, reloaded, etc.

AppRadio is Pioneer's way to control a smartphone from their head unit, while MirrorLink is more of a general standard for car-smartphone connectivity. Android Auto is Google's answer to car-smartphone connectivity - using compatible head units and compatible Android phones. If you want Google Maps navigation you want Android Auto. AA also brings you Google Now's voice recognition and text-to-speech capabilities.

To run Android Auto, you plug your phone into your headunit and put your phone down. All interaction is then with the headunit, so navigation will be via Google Maps shown on your headunit screen and it will use your phone's GPS and data plan. The 4200NEX has a 7" screen but you won't be using your "phablet" directly for navigation.

Hope it helps.

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the 4100 - Assuming they are similar you will have 2 USB ports on the back. One is used for Android and the other is for Apple Car Play. Read the manual to find out which one is for Android and connect a GOOD USB cable (lower quality cables tend to cause problems with AA). You can find a good cable places like Monoprice.com (good does not have to be expensive).

With just that connection you can use Android Auto and/or play music directly from your phone or other USB storage devices.

BTW - No need to get a phablet for NAV - that's one of the cool things with Android Auto. The NAV will be on your head unit's screen. Much better experience (IMO)>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa