Is it possible to install Android Auto in a car that didn't come pre-installed?

A

AC Question

Some 2016 cars come with the software, what about slightly older models?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Besides cars that support them from the factory or through software updates (Hyundai has announced it will provide a free update to enable in some of their older models) you would have to install an aftermarket head unit that supports AA or wait for the Android Auto app to offer stand-alone mode later this year.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My personal opinion is that I would hold off if I was thinking about going the aftermarket route since Google announced that they are updating their Android Auto software to operate in standalone mode directly on the device without a compatible head unit. I especially feel this way if they allow Android Auto to be installed on tablets which they don't do now.

Operating in standalone mode while connected to a head unit with Bluetooth or even an auxiliary cable could be almost as good of an experience as upgrading to a new head unit at no cost.

pbyron

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
The factory stereo in my 2011 GTI fried so instead of forking out to replace it I put in a pioneer 4100. Works great - actually wish I had done it sooner. Buying from Crutchfield made it simple - their Web site suggested everything I would need and I was able to do it myself in half a day.

Posted via the Android Central App

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
My personal opinion is that I would hold off if I was thinking about going the aftermarket route since Google announced that they are updating their Android Auto software to operate in standalone mode directly on the device without a compatible head unit. I especially feel this way if they allow Android Auto to be installed on tablets which they don't do now.

Operating in standalone mode while connected to a head unit with Bluetooth or even an auxiliary cable could be almost as good of an experience as upgrading to a new head unit at no cost.

What's the point of running AA directly on a device without connecting it to a head unit? The whole point of Android auto is that it displays on a large screen and has access to the car's sensors which are better than a phones. If all you want to do is use the phone directly all you have to do is dash mount it and the use Google Maps and streaming audio in their normal mode.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
What's the point of running AA directly on a device without connecting it to a head unit? The whole point of Android auto is that it displays on a large screen and has access to the car's sensors which are better than a phones. If all you want to do is use the phone directly all you have to do is dash mount it and the use Google Maps and streaming audio in their normal mode.

AA's going to give you much better touch targets, and apps tailored for an in-car experience. (And even in the brief time I used it at IO, I completely agree with that intent.)

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
AA's going to give you much better touch targets, and apps tailored for an in-car experience. (And even in the brief time I used it at IO, I completely agree with that intent.)

There are already many apps that do that. I used to use Car Home Ultra and others. The problem with those is if you want turn by turn voice prompts over your car speakers, you have to listen to audio from your phone (compressed over bluetooth). The biggest advantage of AA, IMO, is the ability to play any source and still get prompts. Of course the other HUGE advantage is I no longer have to mount my phone on the dash every time I get in the car.