Voice Response Missing/Muted

aayore

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I don't know what changed, but the voice response is either missing or muted. When I say, "Play some music," I'm expecting a "Sure. You want to play some music." Instead, I get nothing. After a few seconds, I get a "bee-doo" of the voice command turning off, but I never hear her sweet, sweet voice. It seems like it's muted, because if I ask for something with a longer response (e.g. "Tell me about albums by The Who."), there's a longer silence before the "bee-doo." I've looked at the head unit (AVIC 8100-NEX) volume, the phone (Nexus 6P) volume, etc., but I can't find anything that looks wrong. Anyone else having this issue? Any ideas where to start looking for a solution?

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the same unit. Have you checked the "Alerts" volume (you will see this on the lower right when you adjust volume)?

Do you get other speech output for say, navigation?

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I get this sometimes but its inconsistent. I usually see this when I say "text xxx" and it doesn't replay with "What's the message" it just goes to the red microphone waiting for my message. After I state the message, it will repeat it back and ask to send.

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Update to this. My voice feedback (except for map directions) completely went away. If I asked to send a text, no prompts. If I asked for a score or the weather it would do nothing. I rolled back the updates to the google search app in play store and restored my voice prompts. Something in the updates broke mine. YMMV

aayore

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I've tried the "alerts" volume, and it doesn't make a difference for any of the voice prompts in the Android Auto app. I haven't checked the unit's built-in nav app.

aayore

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I haven't rolled back the updates, but I did figure out a temporary workaround for the problem. After I connect the phone to the head unit, I have to manually turn up the media volume (I usually keep it muted). Apparently one of the updates prevents Android Auto from automatically setting the media volume on the phone. Also, the actual volume setting doesn't seem to make a difference. Whether it's low or high, the "alerts" volume on the unit seems to take precedence as long as the phone's media volume isn't muted.

geppetto

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for posting the information above. I am having the same problem. I thought it was an Android Auto problem, but tracked it back to Google Now. If I disconnect the phone from AA and try to send a text with OK Google / Google Now, the phone appears to understand the command and input but fails to give the voice prompt responses.

I need some clarification please... Where is the 'Alerts' mentioned above? I cannot seem to find it.

Thanks.

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
The alerts volume is a feature of the Pioneer AVIC head units, that shows up on screen when you adjust the volume.

Posted via the Android Central App

geppetto

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Reboot your phones.

Found a thread on another board related to Google Now / OK Google started on 07/18. It appears the problem has been resolved and all we need to do is restart our phones. Sorry, they didn't post what was fixed. I rebooted my phone and did a couple of commands - send message, play music, get weather, - all worked, complete with voice responses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38