JLiRD808

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Phil. It just hit me that my headunit would need an update also. Something I doubt Pioneer would do. Thanks bud.

Why would your HU need an update just to make a particular app work? Are u talking about a firmware update? I'm on a Pioneer too....4200NEX.

But so far it's just been updates to AA on our phones as new apps come out....if I'm not mistaken.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a big Waze fan but the alerts are sometimes useful on a long drive. I use AA and then run Waze on the phone for the alerts only.

spinedoc, why not try AA and use Google Maps? While I understand your desire to have Waze, I do not understand your reluctance in using AA with Google Maps...

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Nice to know that you are using the Android Central App to post. Don't know why you're advertising for them...

I've seen police reports on Waze that don't exist either. I wouldn't put too much stock in Waze's reporting as they are often wrong. It's good to know anyway and nothing stops you from, as I said, running Waze on the phone in alert only mode to get such alerts...

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
You did until recently - Google Maps is pushing out updates (or soon will) that allow downloading of map regions for offline use while navigating.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You did until recently - Google Maps is pushing out updates (or soon will) that allow downloading of map regions for offline use while navigating.

Regular Google Maps has the offline feature but it doesn't seem to work in AA. A couple of weeks ago I was in a deadspot. On the phone I was able to route to my next destination however when I then plugged the phone into the car the maps in AA got stuck on routing. When I drove down the road a mile and it got connectivity back the routing completed and I was able to use AA for navigation.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you didn't have that particular area downloaded for offline use?

Google Maps uses GPS and generally GPS is available. As I understand it Google Maps uses the internet when finding a route or perhaps when re-routing. I can envision that Google Maps would be optimised to have each turn available of the current route when you planned the route. After all you can Show Routes and see each of the turn by turn instructions. So Google Maps does not have to go to the Internet for anything in particular (traffic updates maybe but the basic operations of "Navigate me to my destination" should not need any internet access). If you veer off course it may be difficult for Google Maps to re-route you.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The area was downloaded and Google Maps worked fine when not in AA mode. It gave me the route when the phone was in my hand, I then plugged it in and Maps in AA just sat there until I reached a spot where I had connectivity.

ljo13

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Any updates on Waze for Android Auto?

By now we should start hearing rumours or maybe even seeing people who are beta-testing waze for Android Auto but there is no communication at all. They showed off Waze at one of their developer events but since then there is no news.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463