No volume when reading texts

Girevik

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I recently got a car with Android Auto and love it, but today ran into a problem I haven't seen before. I received a text, and when I tapped to have it read to me I couldn't hear anything. It pauses like it's reading, I just cant hear it (I did some testing and longer texts pause for a longer time, so it's like it's trying to read). All other audio I tried from the phone works (navigation prompts and Amazon Music). Any suggestions on what might be the cause?

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I've been having issues with notification and playback on my AA, Nexus 6P and Golf 2016. It was working fine before...not sure if it's the same issue but yes I can't hear anything because nothing plays.

{Nexus 6P}

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I had this problem. It is something with the google search app that breaks the voice feedback in AA. In play store a unistalled the updates in the google search app and it started working again. Since then I have not let play store update the search app.

Girevik

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I don't see a "Google Search" app installed. I have Google Play Services, Google Services Framework, and Google Text-to-speech Engine. Is it one of those?

It seems to be getting worse for me. I'm almost positive yesterday when I was testing it when I tried to send a text via AA, it read the text back to me before sending. Now it's not doing that any more. Considering a factory reset, but I really don't want to go through that hassle.

Girevik

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, that did it. I uninstalled updates to "Google App", and even though it dais it was installing updates when I connected it seems to be working now.

mpisani

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Galaxy S7 Edge and would love to uninstall updates to fix my AA problems. But all I see when I go into the Application Manager is either "Disable" or "Force Quit". Is there a way a round it?

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the Galaxy S7 Edge and would love to uninstall updates to fix my AA problems. But all I see when I go into the Application Manager is either "Disable" or "Force Quit". Is there a way a round it?

what do you see in play store? not applications under setttings

mpisani

May 24, 2011
Visit site
In the Play Store when I open up an app I have the only options there are "Uninstall" or "Open". I know there used to be a way of uninstalling updates but I'm not so sure anymore unless there's a way to do it on the Galaxy S7 and I'm not looking in the right place.

Girevik

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I've always gone through apps in settings. Typically if it's an AP I downloaded I have and "uninstall" option, and if it's one that came on the phone I can only "uninstall updates". I think both "settings....applications" and doing it in the play store is different than application manager though. I think that just shows you want is running in memory and gives you the option to stop it but doesn't have anything to do with what's stored on the phone for that ap.

Anibalnez

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Hello, in order to uninstall the update to the google up on your galaxy s 7 just go to application manager once there open the google app and then at the right corner of the window where it says "more" hit it and uninstall update comes up.
Hope that helps!

mpisani

May 24, 2011
Visit site
CRAP - no such luck for me. I went to Google and Uninstalled Updates and then when I connected my Galaxy S7 Edge to my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX, it downloaded the Google update(s) and I'm right back to where I was earlier.

I can ask for directions and they come up - but I don't here Google say "OK let's go"
I can ask to call someone and it does - but I don't get "OK, calling Steve"
I ask to text someone and the GoogleNow mic just beeps again and doesn't say anything
I can see I have a new text coming in, but when I click on it - nothing happens
I used to be able to asked GoogleNow things like the weather but now - nothing
GoogleNow works fine if I'm holding it in my hand not connected to the radio using AA.

SUGGESTIONS?????

offtohavasu

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I have your exact same setup. I uninstalled the update and then when I plugged it in Android Auto wanted to run updates. And I thought, "Oh crap." But it worked fine on the test I just did. Wish I could offer more help.

geppetto

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
I was having the same problem - not getting the voice prompts / responses. I only tried calling and texting through Google Now / OK Google without being connected to AA. Both failed to offer the voice prompts and responses. AA was was not working on my wifes phone, but was working on mine, until two days ago when my had the problems too.

I found a thread on a Google support forum that was updated today (4:06 pm), indicating it is / was a Google problem and was resolved today. Disconnect your phone again from AA and try OK Google / Google Now. Reboot your phone and try again. The reboot resolved the issues for me, on two phones.

Hope it helps!

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm... I had be ignoring this because I thought my text messages were working fine. I don't get a lot of texts but recently I got another one and I started experiencing the same problem. I went to look at the AA app on my phone and lo and behold there appeared another car! I have only one car, a vette, that I named Blue Thunder. But I had Blue Thunder listed and also Chevrolet MyLink listed which is the generic name. I wonder if that's part of the problem. Anyways, the interface for deleting a car seems non-existent and I believe I had asked about this before in this very forum and got an answer. I will search for that next.

Meantime I went into the Application Manager, found "Google App" (that's how it's listed) and tapped More and Uninstall Updates. I had noticed before that that Google App had like 243 Meg of data! I'm assuming that's downloads of offline maps perhaps? Anywho, I uninstalled updates and now the storage when down to 25 meg!

I went to the Play App on the phone and saw that Google was one of the apps scheduled for update. The download was only 36 meg. Went back into the Application Manager and Google App and see it's now taking up 160 meg of storage.

I have yet to connect it to my car (and/or remove that erroneous second car). Maybe I'll report back.

Ah yes, here is it - http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-auto/700424-deleting-cars.html - swipe right! Of course! So intuitive!

anon(187199)

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This issue is not corrected for me. If my media volume is at zero and I launch AA the "OK google" voice commands will not work. If volume is at any level besides zero then it will work. Its still broke but at least I know what the problem is.

geppetto

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
@ xzjn9p, does Google Now / OK Google work stand alone - without being connected to AA?

The support thread I saw was in Google Support, Search. There was not a separate forum for Google Now / OK Google. They (Google Support) said they felt the problem was resolved and requested anyone still experiencing a problem create a new thread so they could address the problem.

Sorry I don't have more to offer.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams