Can I use a Nexus 7 as head unit for AA?

Norman1nz

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi there.
I have a 2006 Subaru Legacy and was going to use my Nexus seven in place of the built in Satnav as it fits in its place perfectly.. Then I just need your connect power and aux cables to it and factory headdeck.
Just wondering can I flash the Nexus with a better firmware or allow it to connect to my phone for AA?
Cheers!!

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how it could be used as an AA head unit but you could just use it to run Goolgle Maps. Enable the hot spot on your phone and have the N7 connect to it and then Google Maps will work fine.

xaudiblex

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how it could be used as an AA head unit but you could just use it to run Goolgle Maps. Enable the hot spot on your phone and have the N7 connect to it and then Google Maps will work fine.
Actually, it may be possible soon. Google announced at Google I/O that Android auto will work without the need for a head unit. When it will be released and which devices it will work with is another story.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it may be possible soon. Google announced at Google I/O that Android auto will work without the need for a head unit. When it will be released and which devices it will work with is another story.

What's the point of Android Auto without a head unit? Regular Android can do everything that AA does and more, that's what I was doing in my old car. I mounted my Nexus 6P on an AC duct and then used it to navigate and make phone calls, the bluetooth on that car was so old that I couldn't stream music to the stereo system but on any newer car you could do that also. Regular Android also responds to OK Google, AA requires you to touch the microphone icon to give it a voice command, so in that respect regular Android was better. The principal advantage of AA is the big screen which you would lose if you ran it on a phone or phablet.

Norman1nz

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
For me the main things I'd like is an andoird build / GUI that is opitmiized for using as a satnav / car screen.. Big buttons, focus on maps and audio, if it's possible at all to pair with my phone for calls (my car doesn't have BT) and some way to have it turn on and off along with the car ignition..
The android head-units work well but I dont want to fork out several hundred $$ for something if my existing nexus7 can do it all reasonably well too and it can replace the existing junk japanese satnav spot... Not sure if steering wheel controls can work with android headdecks either

Maybe I should stick with standard build and look for apps to acheive the above??

vi001101106

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Whenever the 'stand-alone' app is released, you'll be able to use the N7 like you plan to for the most part.

If your car has bluetooth, steering wheel controls may work.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
What's the point of Android Auto without a head unit? Regular Android can do everything that AA does and more, that's what I was doing in my old car. I mounted my Nexus 6P on an AC duct and then used it to navigate and make phone calls, the bluetooth on that car was so old that I couldn't stream music to the stereo system but on any newer car you could do that also. Regular Android also responds to OK Google, AA requires you to touch the microphone icon to give it a voice command, so in that respect regular Android was better. The principal advantage of AA is the big screen which you would lose if you ran it on a phone or phablet.
On cars with AA integrated from factory, you can just hit the microphone button on the steering wheel controls (track up and down also work for music). At least that's how my Sonata is. No need to reach over to touchscreen

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
For me the main things I'd like is an andoird build / GUI that is opitmiized for using as a satnav / car screen.. Big buttons, focus on maps and audio, if it's possible at all to pair with my phone for calls (my car doesn't have BT) and some way to have it turn on and off along with the car ignition..
The android head-units work well but I dont want to fork out several hundred $$ for something if my existing nexus7 can do it all reasonably well too and it can replace the existing junk japanese satnav spot... Not sure if steering wheel controls can work with android headdecks either

Maybe I should stick with standard build and look for apps to acheive the above??

You have OK Google voice commands available on standard Android, that gives you a hands free interface to your N7. Google Maps on the N7 will work very well, what's more you have a choice of navigation apps in standard Android, Sygic, Here Maps, Waze, which you don't have on AA. The advantage of AA is that it's built into the car which a N7 can never be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781