Any phone to stay away from when upgrading?

sherm1082

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi. Let me tell you all where I am currently and what I'm wanting to do. So currently, I have a galaxy S4 on Sprint. Sprint still offers 2 year upgrades on very select phone. I'm not a person who needs to have the latest and greatest and I refuse to pay $600 for a phone or $30 a month for 24 months. It ain't happening. I use AA daily and I love it. I had some freezing problems/lag when I was running a Sense ROM. My phone is rooted and I put on CM13 a few weeks ago. It took about 10 times for me to get AA to connect with my phone but it finally did and the experience is flawless.

I want to upgrade my phone but I am scared that my new phone will stop working at some point due to an upgrade. I am thinking about getting a used Nexus 6p because it's pretty much stock android and I can root it and put on a different ROM if the stock one doesn't work. I also am thinking about switching to Metro PCS and getting a ZTE Zmax Pro which currently can't be rooted and has little to no development. Any body have any advice on phones to get or phones to stay away from?

On a side note, all of this has really made me think about going to an iphone. I should not have to worry this much about my phone working right out of the box with AA or worry about a future update breaking it.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I hear the S7 Note's are pretty hot! ;-)

If you go with an iPhone it'll be expensive (I hear). Plus you will not have AA - you'll have CarPlay, with crappy Siri and Apple Maps. You will not be pleased.

sherm1082

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
My 6p works fine but AA will no longer read my text messages anymore since I updated to 7.0.

And that is the concern I had. Someone asked why would I be concerned about AA not working and this is why...... also why I was considering iPhone. I may not have been as happy with the experience as AA but I would likely have been happier with a fully working carplay then a non working/partially working AA.

As an update, I got a Moto X Pure and I love it. I picked up a refurbished one off of eBay for less then $200. AA works with no problems. It connects every time and is much more responsive then my galaxy s4 (to be expected). Thanks for the advice guys. I contemplated an 6p but the moto x was about $100 cheaper.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc