Pixel (XL) and Android Auto

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2015 Hyundai Sonata stock headunit and my Pixel XL works flawlessly so far. I have thus far only used the USB cable that Google sent me and it seems to work like a charm. Also the phone charges while using AA in my Sonata, which I know is not the case for some phones in the Sonata.

tcatnat

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I had my first long run with AA today and overall I faired well. Pixel connected to 2017 Audi A4 fine and launched AA. Some brief observations from 6 hours of driving today, more than 5 of those hours on the highway.

At one point I noticed some artifacts on the car screen while Google maps was in night mode. Seemed to last about 15 minutes. Also regarding Google Maps, the alternate route pop ups (the squares that pop up to show an alternate route will be 10 minutes slower while driving) are not accurate and confusing. At one point I had the option to take 1 of 3 routes at a junction and the square popped up but I could not tell which route it was referring to. It's much more obvious when using it on the Pixel.

On the first 2.5 hour leg of my trip I was using Google Maps and Pandora through AA and on four separate occasions Pandora randomly switched to Google Play Music. Nothing like going from the middle of White Christmas to the middle of Blackened in the blink of an eye. This did not happen once on my 2.5 hour trip back.

The only other thing that did not work as expected was voice commands. When connected to AA and pressing the talk button on the steering wheel I am supposed to be connecting to Google voice commands but instead I am connecting to Audi MMI voice commands.

This was the first time I used AA so I'm still in learning mode.

nofaithineli

May 29, 2016
Visit site
To trigger voice prompt, use a long press on your voice command button
Can't speak for Audi but not all AA integrations work this way. Genesis is a simple press when AA is up and running in place of the stock voice system. If AA is not used, a regular press brings up stock and a long press brings up Siri if iPhone connected over Bluetooth. I don't think it is too much to ask to have Google come up with a regular press when using AA. Genesis has it right.

Jorakal

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Can't speak for Audi but not all AA integrations work this way. Genesis is a simple press when AA is up and running in place of the stock voice system. If AA is not used, a regular press brings up stock and a long press brings up Siri if iPhone connected over Bluetooth. I don't think it is too much to ask to have Google come up with a regular press when using AA. Genesis has it right.
In my Chevy Malibu if you press and release quickly you get Chevy's system. If you hold down the button for a second or 2 you get Android auto.

fragilemn

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
With the latest AA update, just saying OK Google in a 2017 Elantra with a Nexus 5X, is enough to activate AA, no button press needed.

taz20075

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
Currently having the same issue on a Kenwood DDX9902S unit with the regular Pixel. AA won't start, the screen freezes when attempting to open. The furthest I've gotten is the home screen background.

Had it working with an HTC One M8 for over a year. Was hoping something with a faster processor would make it more responsive. Instead I got unusable. And I have a 1000 mile trip coming up after Chritmas. Ugh...

I'm going to order a new cable (although I shouldn't really have to) from the big A today and see if that matters.

Model: Kenwood DDX9902S
Software version: 1.6
Cable: Pixel cable included in the box
Phone: Pixel
Android version: 7.1.1

Tom Killick

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue with Pixel and Pioneer 4100NEX.... aa works fine with Nexus 5x and 6P android 7.1.1, but freezes with Pixel... which sucks. Maybe i will just return the pixel.

CEB3

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I have the exact same issues with my Pixel and a Pioneer 8100NEX. Worked great with the Samsung S6. NOTHING but problems since I got the Pixel. I've used 6 different USB cables at this point... nothing keeps it from locking up AA.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc