Pixel (XL) and Android Auto

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So ... Day 1, on build NDE63P. Connected to a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX (on the Dec. 16, 2015 1.053 update firmware).

I first connected with the same cable I've been using with the Nexus 6P. Worked for a minute or so, then froze. Tried the cable that came with the Pixel. Even worse — resolution issues. (That thing where things are just all jacked up on the display, like they don't fit.

Oh, the joys of being an early adopter. :p

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Disheartening... Why does this keep happening? It's not that difficult of a thing is it? I mean you're just drawing on a screen and sending back touch coordinates right?

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Exactly, it's ridiculous. And it's not the cables. If you have a cable that works, and I do, it should always work - unless it breaks, in which case it should never work again.

jstew182

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
So ... Day 1, on build NDE63P. Connected to a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX (on the Dec. 16, 2015 1.053 update firmware).

I first connected with the same cable I've been using with the Nexus 6P. Worked for a minute or so, then froze. Tried the cable that came with the Pixel. Even worse — resolution issues. (That thing where things are just all jacked up on the display, like they don't fit.

Yeah this is an absolute shame. I have the 4100nex as well and tried connecting my pixel xl to it today. I can't seem to get it working at all. It launches on my phone but the head unit either just stays on a black screen or has the disclaimer screen pop up (and usually shifted off the screen) but the couple times it popped up correctly the touch screen on the head unit won't respond. I plug my Nexus 6p (on beta 7.1.1) into the same cable, works without issue...I think I'm finally at my breaking point of being a beta tester for new hardware when they charge nearly twice as much for a broken experience from my Nexus 6p...for some reason I have always been pretty understanding of issues with Nexus but paying nearly $1000 for a phone and dealing with the same issues...I just can't be as accepting.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Pixel is being returned. Going back to 6P.

Been on Android for almost 5 years, but if this is Google's new premium (priced) user experience I'm thinking my next phone will be 10th anniversary iPhone.

osho841

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
It could be a problem with the NEX4100 too though since it is reported to be working on other head units. In which case it is Pioneer's issue to deal with. It sucks because there are too many places to point the finger at. I just go ta 4100 nex and now I am afraid this will happen to me next year when update my phone.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It could be a problem with the NEX4100 too though since it is reported to be working on other head units. In which case it is Pioneer's issue to deal with. It sucks because there are too many places to point the finger at.

I point my finger at Google since it works with two different Motos on lollipop, and Nexus 6P on 7.0 and even dev preview of 7.1.1.

Something changed with the Pixel that Google needs to address (guessing it is an USB issue).

Tony DiLascio

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site

So I received my Pixel XL today & attempted to connect it to my Pioneer AVH-4100NEX head unit I've used since Android Auto came out in 2015. I've successfully used the Nexus 6 & 6P with no issues. However, the Pixel XL won't connect, instead giving me the error message "Communication Error 7 - your car's software didn't pass Android Auto security checks". I've no issues connecting the phone fully to the head unit's Bluetooth system, but Android Auto won't connect. Is this a known issue? I'm hoping it is & that a fix is forthcoming.

dekii86

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
A couple days ago I tried a colleagues Pixel briefly on my Pioneer AVH-X8850BT (Australia) - seemed to work with no resolution or other issues. Allowed me to get into Spotify, phone dialing and Google Maps. I get my Pixel XL today in the mail so will be testing it out some more. Fingers crossed!!!

KidCuda

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Any update from anyone? My Pixel will be arriving around Thanksgiving and I'll be looking for a head unit, probably the 4200.

1dcsailor

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't work for me.

I run my Pixel XL with a Kenwood 893s and when I plug it in with the USB cable that comes with the Pixel XL it opens up Android Auto on the head-unit and then the Android auto touchscreen interface stops responding and the audio stops. I have to disconnect the usb cable to get bluetooth audio and the touchscreen working again. My Kenwood Unit, Android auto app, and google play services are all running the latest software and it still doesn't work smh. I sent in feed back via the Android Auto app today. Hopefully this gets fixed asap.

cam30era

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, it's ridiculous. And it's not the cables. If you have a cable that works, and I do, it should always work - unless it breaks, in which case it should never work again.

FWIW: my Pixel XL works fine (every time) with both my 2016 Corvette and my wife's '16 Ford Edge.

Last edited:

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Pioneer advised that you need to go to the website and turn off AVIC - sync to get AA working properly with Nougat until they can resolve this problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2