New version of Android Auto version 2.0.642304-release

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What would be "illegal" about a pointer to information? (Answer: Nothing)

It's an app file (which is, most of the time, against Forum rules), and on it's an APK file that's not coming directly from the developer and has not been sanctioned/explicitly authorized by them for distribution. Technically this is a free app, but still. And that's why I leave the 'legal gray area' decisions to the Mods :)

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
A thing can only be illegal if there is a law enacted by government... technically. I know you used quotes but really, this is a well known site with plenty of warnings as to whether or not you decide to install this or not. Plus, Android itself is set to not allow you to install APKs from unknown sources. You can give the go ahead but again, you are warned several times. I don't treat adults like babies. This is not rocket science. Install if you want or don't if you are paranoid.

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
How is this different then the other "Car Home" apps in the market (or the original Car Home app from Google)? The thing that make AA better is how it works through my existing stereo. No need to put my phone on top of my dash. And no need to be limited to only listening to music on the phone (assuming I want navigation sound from my car speakers).

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
The thing that make AA better is how it works through my existing stereo. No need to put my phone on top of my dash. And no need to be limited to only listening to music on the phone (assuming I want navigation sound from my car speakers).

Same here. I've used my phone as a PND and music player in my car going back to the Palm Treo. One of the main reasons for choosing my current phone, Note 4, was for the larger screen so it would be easier to see and touch the screen while driving. I can now go back to a smaller, lighter phone, stop messing with car mounts, and keep my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road. Having a car with AA capability has certainly made driving safer and more enjoyable for me.

Having said that, I'm hoping making AA available on the phone will increase adoption which will spur more development and creatitivity.

furiousyellow

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
This article says v2.0 has Waze integration.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/11/download-android-auto-v2-0-waze-integration.html

I'm not familiar with this site and I'm not seeing this info on any other. I checked Play Store and there was an AA update released today but no mention of Waze. I did see one user comment that AA was now working well on the Pixel.

Edit: NVM. It says right in the article, "Some of the settings found in the APK – but not yet usable –" so I guess it's still pending.

Andrew DeFaria

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
What have you been smoking? I went to your link - even searched for "Waze" - 0 hits. On what do you base your statement that this article says v2.0 has Waze integration?