Compatibility / using OBD-2 units with Android Auto

PathoNomadic

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
I have a Pioneer AVH-4100NEX and a Nexus 6P, and have been enjoying Android Auto so far. I'm looking into getting into OBD-2 units and had a couple questions. Some of these are probably pretty basic, but I couldn't find anything explicit on Google, so:

1. Are there OBD2 apps (like Torque, etc) that work on Android Auto? By "work" I suppose I mean apps that have a GUI that appears and is accessible on my 4100NEX head unit.

2. When I have my Nexus connected to my 4100NEX via USB, it disconnects the Bluetooth connection between my 4100NEX and phone. This won't also prevent bluetooth connection between my phone and the OBD2 device, right?

3. What are some recommendations for OBD2 devices? I was looking at the OBDLink LX, but wondered if people had better luck with other devices with this configuration.

Thanks!

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Are there OBD2 apps (like Torque, etc) that work on Android Auto? By "work" I suppose I mean apps that have a GUI that appears and is accessible on my 4100NEX head unit.

Nope.

When I have my Nexus connected to my 4100NEX via USB, it disconnects the Bluetooth connection between my 4100NEX and phone. This won't also prevent bluetooth connection between my phone and the OBD2 device, right?

Right. You can connect to both Android Auto and an ODBII unit simultaneously.

What are some recommendations for OBD2 devices? I was looking at the OBDLink LX, but wondered if people had better luck with other devices with this configuration.

The OBDLink LX and MX are both fine units, possibly the best of the best. The free software is also very good. When I want to use both, I connect up to OBDLink first, and then plug in to Android Auto. I can then swipe down from the notification shade which lets me access the recent apps button to bring ODBDLink to the foreground.

I would love to see some driving apps in Android Auto such as Torque, OBDLink, Glympse and even Dash, but my understanding is that Google simply hasn't opened up an SDK for developers to port these kinds of apps to Android Auto. )c:

PathoNomadic

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
This was very helpful, thanks!

That's too bad that there's no ability to use a driving app in AA yet, though I suppose that's what they're saving the little "speedometer" icon to the very bottom right of the AA GUI for.

afazel

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
This was very helpful, thanks!

That's too bad that there's no ability to use a driving app in AA yet, though I suppose that's what they're saving the little "speedometer" icon to the very bottom right of the AA GUI for.

In my 2016 Mustang, that little speedometer icon is what I press to return to the built-in Sync3 software.

MushroomHunter

May 21, 2017
Visit site
OBDC blue tooth killed my 2015 Subaru Outback. Worked fine on my 2001 Toyota Sienna. The Outback behaved odly for a couple months then the battery died. Took Subaru a long time to diagnose and they finally noticed I had the OBDC dongle which was the culprit. I blame the problem on Subaru!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000