The new Android Central application ...

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
DSC_8076_1.jpg

Howdy, folks. Time for a quick update on a proper Android application for the best damn Android site on the planet.

Believe it or not, we've never had a real Android application for Android Central. Doesn't really matter the reason -- time, money, mobile versions of a site being "good enough" (though I'd argue they're a good alternative, but not the be all-end all) -- whatever. We should have had one, and we didn't.

Once upon a time I had a very basic widget built. It'd pop up a couple headlines, you'd click and you'd read. But that's not that same. (And you don't even wanna know how much we paid for it.) It's still in Google Play, but it's not supported, and I don't even know if it still works. I think I just left it there for nostalgia's sake. (I'll probably remove it soon. No need to crap up Google Play anymore than it already is.)

A year ago or so (longer than that, I think), we'd been approached by one of those companies that takes your news feeds, plugs it into their servers and busts out a simple news-type app. Indeed, many "mainstream" news organizations used it. It was quick to set up (ridiculously so -- that should have been a sign) and basically free ad revenue for us; we split it 50-50. Not a lot of money by any stretch. But we got a quick and easy app out of it, and a tiny bit of pocket change. But let's be perfectly honest here -- it wasn't a good app. Nowhere near up to our standards in terms of features or design. And over time, it seemed to become more spammy, and in fact it was using an ad network that we didn't want to be associated with any longer. So, I pulled it from Google Play. So while no new downloads could occur, there were (and still are) thousands out there.

Recently that app apparently started spitting out bad notifications and showing some pop-up video. (I haven't used that old app in months and can't say I've seen either of those things, but I trust your reports.) That's no bueno. There's no good solution here for a number of technical reasons, other than to delete that app from your phone or tablet. We don't own the source code or key to that app, so we can't overwrite it in place. That's a failure on our part. So when our new application is ready, we'll basically be starting from scratch.

Yes, as I've teased a couple times now, we have a new application in the works. It's much more than a mere feed reader. All the news you expect from the blog will be there. But so will many more facets of the site. Comments. Account log-in. Podcasts. Videos. And much, much more. Everyone involved is pretty excited for it, and I hope you will be, too.

That said, we're not yet ready to give an ETA for the V1 release, but that I'm writing this means that we're well underway. I hope we'll be able to do some open beta testing -- I just don't know yet. But we've had enough inquiries into that old app -- again, we did a good thing badly there -- and I want to be as transparent with all this new app as we can be.

The new app won't be perfect. There we will probably be some things at launch we'd hoped to do better. But that's what updates are for.

Oh, and as of now we have no plans to change the existing dedicated Android Central Tapatalk app, even if it does become redundant. That should give you a pretty big hint as to a pretty big feature in this new app :) (And we'll have a full Mobile Nations Tapatalk client -- with access to the iMore, CrackBerry and WPCentral forums -- in Google Play just as soon as we get it uploaded.)

Thanks for hanging in there. And I can't wait for everyone to see this.

Last edited:

djstarion

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
This is awesome!

I use iMore daily on my iPhone 5 and it's a really great app that's just more than a news reader. I was always sad that we didn't have that quality of an app that I could use on my Galaxy Tab, but the site was just as good for now. Glad to hear there's an actual app coming though.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, Phil. I always wondered why you guys didn't have a full blown app, but it sounds like it's going to be fully functional, so I'm looking forward to it.

1gridlok2

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So is there a leaked apk beta around. Only kidding, I'm sure the final will be a great app. Good luck guys.:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds good Phil. I used the widget back in the Eclair and Froyo days but basically usr Pulsrle as my news reader these days. I love the idea of a dedicated AC app like Crackberry has.

Sign me up for the beta. I have a variety of phones I could test with

Greigyboii

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to this --- I don't always get a chance to sit on the web on my laptop as I am usually on the go, or developing on the laptop. Would be good to have the app by my side!

gshyde

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
One suggestion for the new app. Capture http requests to the site (through such things as G+ on the phone) to go instead to your app instead of the main browser; similar to how clicking on an address will allow you to show it in the browser, maps or earth if you want. Wish more custom apps do more of that.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
One suggestion for the new app. Capture http requests to the site (through such things as G+ on the phone) to go instead to your app instead of the main browser; similar to how clicking on an address will allow you to show it in the browser, maps or earth if you want. Wish more custom apps do more of that.

That's a good idea, I'll make sure it gets noticed.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site

I respectfully gotta disagree on that one unless it can be turned off. One of the main points of having an OS with a real web browser is that the full versions of the web page can be viewed easily not just the stripped down ones. When I read an article I want to read all of in Pulse the first thing I do is click the link to read the whole thing in the web browser.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
If implemented you'll likely just need to "Clear Defaults" to stop it from going to the App by default.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Until the app updates. Also it will likely break links within the app to other parts of the app (ie blog to forums )

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Hey Phil you talking about killing this android central widget? Omg that is my favorite app.uploadfromtaptalk1365731997062.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Awesome.

It will be free I assume. Can you guys get it into the Amazon app store also? I'd love to use it on my Kindle Fire. Another question: tablet optimized?

Also if you need beta testers, I'd definitely be interested. I read the site everyday (every article). And I'm getting active in the forums again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude