Don't care for the new AC app

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the AC app more and more, I find it's quite useful to read the forums with as well as the articles. But this last update I absolutely dislike. The font sizes have changed and so has the menu colors.
While the menu colors make the app look more kidish I can get over that, what I can't get over is the default font size that seem to be set for the visual impaired. Yes I can change it to tiny but that setting only applies to the article. This app should NEVER mess with fonts and font sizes. A well designed app should find the default system settings and use those set by the user.

As it stands the new changes irritated me so much I actually uninstalled the app.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the AC app more and more, I find it's quite useful to read the forums with as well as the articles. But this last update I absolutely dislike. The font sizes have changed and so has the menu colors.
While the menu colors make the app look more kidish I can get over that, what I can't get over is the default font size that seem to be set for the visual impaired. Yes I can change it to tiny but that setting only applies to the article. This app should NEVER mess with fonts and font sizes. A well designed app should find the default system settings and use those set by the user.

As it stands the new changes irritated me so much I actually uninstalled the app.

I also noticed that the font change doesn't even stick to the article you were on. But for me that isn't that much of a big deal.

codehut

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey X,

Thanks for the feedback! (I'm the developer for the app :))

Regarding the menu colors, with the design we were going for consistency with the Google + app - if you've got that installed pull out the side-menu and take a look at the icon design and colors.

Regarding font settings, with this release my goal was actually to bring better consistency with Android and native apps. Prior to 1.4, the app was just using font sizes I picked. With 1.4, I went for Android standard font sizes defined by Android (@android:style/TextAppearance.Medium for the news article comments and forum thread comments). I'm certainly open to making that text size configurable though - I'm working on an update now to fix up some bugs...so let me see if I can get that in as well.

Cheers,
Neil

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey X,

Thanks for the feedback! (I'm the developer for the app :))

Regarding the menu colors, with the design we were going for consistency with the Google + app - if you've got that installed pull out the side-menu and take a look at the icon design and colors.

Regarding font settings, with this release my goal was actually to bring better consistency with Android and native apps. Prior to 1.4, the app was just using font sizes I picked. With 1.4, I went for Android standard font sizes defined by Android (@android:style/TextAppearance.Medium for the news article comments and forum thread comments). I'm certainly open to making that text size configurable though - I'm working on an update now to fix up some bugs...so let me see if I can get that in as well.

Cheers,
Neil

Hi. Can you please read the list of suggestions I typed out for the app? Here is the thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=302044

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me.

Choosing the medium font is not the right solution I know there are system settings for font size would be my preferred way. So that I don't have to tinker with the app font setting.

However if you find it to difficult or inconsistent using the system settings. Provide a way for the user to set the default size for all articles. It is very annoying that I have to set the font every time I read a story.

Btw there is also inconsistencies with the cover story font and the stories themselves. It seems odd the font sizes change.

codehut

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey X,

Have you updated to 1.4.2? I managed to sneak in a global font settings option. Hope that works ok for everyone.

Cheers,
Neil

Posted via Android Central App

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey X,

Have you updated to 1.4.2? I managed to sneak in a global font settings option. Hope that works ok for everyone.

Cheers,
Neil

Hi codehut. I want to report a bug with the ac app. Lets say I am in the latest posts section, if I rotate my device so I can view it in landscape, it goes back to categories and vice versa.

codehut

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi codehut. I want to report a bug with the ac app. Lets say I am in the latest posts section, if I rotate my device so I can view it in landscape, it goes back to categories and vice versa.

Hmmm that's strange. I don't see that behaviour. You're running 1.4.2 correct? What device/OS version?

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm that's strange. I don't see that behaviour. You're running 1.4.2 correct? What device/OS version?

And I accidently put vice versa in. It doesn't go to latest posts if you rotate it in categories. But, it goes back to categories when rotating it in participated, favorites, etc.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I had uninstalled it,... man I was missing that app.
Anyhow I've reinstalled it and am enjoying it again. Thank you.

Last edited:

Indyrobb

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Love the app, but since the last update it seems a bit slower on loading pages. Also, when pulling up forum threads it sometimes doesn't load them but gives me a blank page, and I have to back out and go back in. I have an HTC one. Not sure if this is the right place to leave this comment or not. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay