Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Default Which way is the most convenient and practical to get AndroidCentral News.

What are some of the Pros & Cons of using the AC app, vs the mobile site, vs the full site, vs an RSS feed?

Default Re: Which way is the most convenient and practical to get AndroidCentral News.

RSS feed just plain sucks now, so I'm not even going to compare it :P

I'd say using the app brings the most cohesive experience to AC, BUT, there are still two very important advantages that, so far, only the website offers that keep me coming back to AC on the web:

1) Device-independent. If you install the app, you can only use it where you installed it, and we all know iDevices keep rejecting any Android-related apps, including news sites. My computer also doesn't have an AC app available, so I just keep firing up the web browser instead of going to my phone to check on AC news.
    2) This was a recent addition to the site, but a very welcome one: Notifications to replies. If you comment on a story, you can select the option to have an e-mail notify you whenever someone replies to your comment. That option is currently NOT present in the AC app.
    DWR_31 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Default Re: Which way is the most convenient and practical to get AndroidCentral News.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    RSS feed just plain sucks now, so I'm not even going to compare it :P

I'd say using the app brings the most cohesive experience to AC, BUT, there are still two very important advantages that, so far, only the website offers that keep me coming back to AC on the web:

1) Device-independent. If you install the app, you can only use it where you installed it, and we all know iDevices keep rejecting any Android-related apps, including news sites. My computer also doesn't have an AC app available, so I just keep firing up the web browser instead of going to my phone to check on AC news.
    2) This was a recent addition to the site, but a very welcome one: Notifications to replies. If you comment on a story, you can select the option to have an e-mail notify you whenever someone replies to your comment. That option is currently NOT present in the AC app.
    Don't forget about not having interal storage space taken up by the app.

I'll stick with the mobile site chrome bookmark.

Sent from my SPARK enabled Sprint LG G2. K00949438Yd FRAMILY!

Well, the app is not THAT big... but yeah, with downloaded data and cache it can reach a hundred or so megs over time...