Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Like Tree54Likes

Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Default Re: Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)

Gnex rear cam.

Purple hazed fall pic!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by abtxpress; 10-22-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Current: Verizon Galaxy Nexus with CM10
    Past: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Incredible
    Blackberry Bold, Blackberry Tour, Blackberry Curve
    Samsung Delve (what a joke but started it all)
    and a bunch of dumb phones

Global Posts
    873 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Jelly Bean

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)-20121020_090419.jpg

It takes a suprisingly strict set of requirements to get good lens flare on my GS2. I had some pretty good pink "flower petal" flare on some shots up in the mountains, but the sky was completely washed out. I also had a pretty cool shot with a purple halo similar to this one, but again the sky is white. This is the only one where I got some decent halo flare and retained the sky. As I remember, the sun was partially hidden behind a cloud when I took this shot.

Also, to Jerry's comment about not seeing many pictures with lens flare (http://www.androidcentral.com/weekly...aze-lens-flare)... I typically consider a shot with lens flare to be a mistake and it gets deleted on the spot and the picture retaken with more care taken to either shield the lens or reposition so the sun is behind me. I had to shoot these pictures specifically for this contest this weekend as I didn't have a single one in my collection with any lens flare. I guess there is a little artistic interest in the pictures I got, but I don't feel that the flare really adds anything to any of the pictures aside from a "huh.. that's interesting" and even that feeling is short lived. I might try this again from time to time, but won't be a technique I try very often.

With that said, I do find some muted sun in the background (especially peeking through trees or clouds) can add alot to a picture if it's done right. And again, that's always meant that I eliminate strong lens flare while retaining the neat lighting effect. For example, in the picture I posted, I probably would have cut back a little on the angle of the sun and got a lighter "ray" effect instead of a full out flare. Frankly, I'm not seeing any pictures posted here where the lens flare added value to an otherwise solid picture.

rookie83 posted a very nice picture on the first page where the sun definitely adds value to the picture and is a good example of how reducing the intensity of the light really helps add value. vividrich's cat picture on page three is a perfect example of no real lens flare, but a fabulous lighting effect. biictorr's post early on the first page is another good example where the sun is doing some awesome things, but the picture would have been even stronger without that pink flare blotch (still a very cool picture). biictorr, if you read this and know how to reproduce that effect, please post an explanation.

Anyway, that's probably too much reflection (ouch, pun) on what was just meant for fun. Great job creating all kinds of goofy looking flare folks
    Last edited by gregfortune; 10-22-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Added some thoughts on the value of lens flare
    Thanked by:
    Colomax likes this.

Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)-warty-final-ubuntu-500x312.jpg

This was a picture i took on my new iphone 5 it was a picture of my parents and my sister at our family reunion thats every year. I hope that in 6 months the iPhone 6 will not be so crappy.
    MangoPowah likes this.

A photo of a local lake using my xoom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)-img_20121021_130014.jpg  

just after the ran on a little drive through town
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)-1350198148586.jpg  

Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - 4.08 build

Downtown Denver.. taken with my DInc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)-imag0215.jpg   Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)-imag0214.jpg  

Purple haze oh yeah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weekly photo contest -- Purple Haze (lens flare)-20121020_004413.jpg  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345