[Closed] Help us 3D Print some Lloyd gear in this week's contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
oh **** that's good. I was hoping no-one else would enter and I'd be the winner by default :p

Haha my hopes as well!
I am concerned about print-ability of mine tho, I have no printer to test it out and am concerned about some parts, oh well we'll see how it goes :)

uofmike

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
The piece that I made was a 3D Lloyd and I added the Android Central script to attach to it. In total my submission is four pieces. To get the "android central" to be scaled to a little over an inch tall it required it to be a little over 12 inches long. I assume Russell's printer can't print something that long, if it can, let me know and I'll make the words all one part. Since it ended up being so long, I broke up "android" and "central" into two pieces that can be set next to each other (I was going to make them connect like a puzzle piece, but being able to break them up without a random knob sticking out of the base could look cool so I made them flat ends on the base). My Lloyd I made just guessing proportions from the AC logo. I wasn't sure how stable it would be standing up, so I also made a stand for him that can be placed next to the words... or where ever. The stand is just two posts and I put holes in the bottom of his legs to go over the posts. If Lloyd can stand on his own then you can just get rid of the stand, it's not attached to anything, just placed next to it in the pictures.

I had a lot of fun doing this, all together I probably spent roughly 15 to 20 hours on this. I had a bunch of ideas on what I wanted to do, like making the Lloyd able to be twist into or off of a phone stand or have Lloyd himself hold up the phone. At the end of the day, I really liked the way the "android central" looked, so I went with that one. I'm an engineer and use SolidWorks quite a bit at work, so that is what I used to create my design. I like doing SolidWorks projects, so this was pretty fun for me.

Thanks for doing this and I hope you like it!

I'll post some pictures of the pieces and a link to my parts below. If you have any issues with them, let me know and I can fix them.

Here's the link to my files on my Google Drive:
https://drive.google.com/folderview...NETHdnRkJMYmN1WHhBdWJad2hSTDhfeGc&usp=sharing

AC Highlighted.JPGAC No Shadow.JPGIso No Lloyd.JPGLloyd Top.JPGLloyd.JPG

Thanks again guys!

gna

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
What a cool contest. I spent my whole weekend in front of my laptop and with trial and error I managed to get something that looks nice. I had so many more ideas including unicorns and space shuttles and stuff like that, but unfortunately a weekend is only two days ...
3D modelling is not something I do everyday, so I had quite some fun. I used Sketchup as a modeling tool, as that was the only tool I knew that was easy enough to do the trick.

Here is the front view of my result:
Lloyd - done.png
(For those who really can't see what it is, it's a phone/tablet stand)

Here is another view from the side:
Lloyd - Side.png

I tried to fit in the mobile nations logo in the design as well. The frame around Lloyd is the orange frame from the mobile nations logo. Lloyd itself is supported by the mobile nations platform (you get it? :) )
Most of the work was getting Lloyd in the correct proportions and tracing the 'androidcentral' and 'mobilenations' logos.
Here are a couple more pictures of the process:
- The finished version of Lloyd
OnlyLloyd.png

- The tracing and the details of the 'androidcentral' logo
androidCentralTracing.png
AndroidCentral - detail.png

- an upclose view of the mobile nations platform
MobileNations.png

Sketchup can by default only export to obj format. So I installed the Cura software (I could do that without having the actual printer to print it) and it appears that it can hapilly import the obj file. But Russell suggested in one of the comments to export to stl, so I searched for a plugin for sketchup and exported to stl. Here you can find the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7dtmBCcqgiSbXNCNzVjSFBIOEU&authuser=0

I'll also share the complete google-drive folder where the obj file is located as well:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7dtmBCcqgiSfk8xcWxnT1FXYm9tTHlncVJYMXJrLVJvZTRZbzVOZUdZcDVKbWRrM3k0Z2c&usp=sharing

It's the first 3D-print desing I made, ever, so I really hope it is printable ...

Thanks again for the contest!

Russell Holly

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much to everyone who submitted and entry! I'm going to post the winner on Friday, and more than likely talk about/show off the winning print during the podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance