What Are You Doing with Your Old Phone (When You Upgrade)?

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a BB Storm 1 user switching to the Incredible. I pre-ordered and should get it tomorrow.

I wanted to see what everyone else who is upgrading (not just for the Incredible, but anyone upgrading phones) plans to do with their phones.

I've considered eBay, but I try to avoid selling on eBay due to the hassles and fees. Not knowing who is really buying from you, and if they are a scam artist or not, puts a lot of hesitation on it for me.

I am attempting to sell on my own on another technical forum. I would sell on Crackberry's forums, but I don't have enough posts over there to qualify.

If I fail at selling it on my own, I plan to use Gazelle to sell the phone.

For those not in the know, Gazelle offers a flat price for your device based on condition. They then resell it (I think on eBay, usually). So obviously they are undercutting you, but at the same time they assume all the risk.

I sold an old digital camera to them a few months ago and everything went great.

My Storm 1 is in excellent condition. Right now Gazelle is offering me $83 with free shipping to take it off my hands. I figure that's a pretty good deal. At least I consider it a good deal for a "backup" offer in case I don't sell it on my own.

Please note: if you end up using Gazelle through the link above, I do earn a small referral fee ($10) if you sell more than $50 in items. I talked with Cory (one of the forum moderators) and got permission to post this... so please don't flame me. I think Gazelle is a valuable service for reusing/recycling old phones that also helps you offset the cost of your new phone purchase.

How are you planning to get rid of your old phone and make money doing it?

hunted

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
i always give mine to my mum, as she would never buy a new phone and its fun watching her trying to figure it out too lol

G

GenericMessage

I always keep a spare just in-case my main one dies, and I need to contact 911.

The one that the replacement replaces gets shot at.

CynicalDreams81

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I use mine as a backup phonebook. I have two old phones that are meant for this reason. One is a sprint Samsung blade (which is a phonebook/alarm) and the storm1. That way if something (heaven forbid) were to happen to my phone I'd have backup numbers while I wait for a replacement (though with android you can see your numbers online in your gmail account).

ekoulak

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Motorola Droid 188 and Droid Eris 177. Both phones in perfect condition and all original cables, boxes, etc. I think its a bit low.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
When I got my iPhone 3GS, I gave my iPhone 3G to my mom. Now I have a Nexus One and use my iPhone 3GS as an iPod touch basically.

kmully

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I use mine as a backup phonebook. I have two old phones that are meant for this reason. One is a sprint Samsung blade (which is a phonebook/alarm) and the storm1. That way if something (heaven forbid) were to happen to my phone I'd have backup numbers while I wait for a replacement (though with android you can see your numbers online in your gmail account).

Why not save them to a text or other file and save to your gmail account and/or PC? Then you can cash in on the devices without losing the data.

I guess you might have to buy an alarm clock, but other than that... :)

Motorola Droid 188 and Droid Eris 177. Both phones in perfect condition and all original cables, boxes, etc. I think its a bit low.

I'm not familiar with the value of the devices. What would you think you could sell them for?

For example, my Storm 1 they are offering $83. I can use coupon code MACBREAK (or Green10) to get an additional 10%. So that's $83 + $8.30 = $91.30.

Is that below what I could get for it on eBay? Absolutely. But I'm not paying eBay or PayPal fees, and I'm not risking that I'm getting scammed. I watched a couple of similar condition Storms sell on eBay yesterday for $120-140.

Let's take the high end of $140 and say shipping was included. eBay fees of 9% brings you to $127.40. PayPal will take $3.99 (2.9% + $0.30). That brings you down to $123.41.

Now factor in $4.95 for flat rate shipping from USPS. You're down to $118.46.

Difference between $118.46 and $91.30 is $27.16. That's what I personally would end up losing. But I think it's a price I'm willing to pay to get a guaranteed price and not have to worry about getting scammed on eBay.

Sorry for the long reply, but wanted to justify why I thought it was a good deal. To each his/her own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol