Just released! 32GB MicroSD cards

ecaggiani

Feb 18, 2010
www.zazzle.com
I'd love one, but not at $199. I can get a 16GB class 6 card on ebay for around $45, so I'm thinking about that to replace the stock 8GB card that came with the Evo.

bmoore

Apr 28, 2010
www.bmrsoftware.com
I'd love one, but not at $199. I can get a 16GB class 6 card on ebay for around $45, so I'm thinking about that to replace the stock 8GB card that came with the Evo.

I'm gonna see how long I can hold out w/ the included 8GB SD. Maybe by the time I need to upgrade, the 32GB SD will be a little more affordable.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read, HTC says the device can only perform at class 2 speeds. So a 4, 6, or 10, is throwing money down the drain.

I'll look for a reference to back this up...

I read the same thing myself. I believe it was an email response to someone who contacted HTC. Even if that message was a fake I can say with 98.6% certainty that anything more than class 2 in the EVO (and probably any cell phone) makes no difference.

The phones controllers can barely max out the Class 2's. It's been that way for years. Even some point and shoot digital cameras have the same limitation dur to their controller.

The only advantage to the higher speed in the EVO is copying files using an uSD adapter in your computer but it won't help you when installed in the phone itself. It's really an unnecessary expense.

SprintPimp

May 21, 2010
Visit site
you guys need friends at best buy.lol. Last year i got a 16gb card for $50 when they cost over $100 full price. and as soon as they get the 32gb in stock i'll be picking one of them up.

bmoore

Apr 28, 2010
www.bmrsoftware.com
please do, that sounds crazy!

So... I couldn't find anything to substantiate the claim regarding SD class support.

I think I read it on an AndroidCentral thread somewhere...

At any rate, HTC does state that the EVO supports SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity).

SDHC is said to support up to class 6. Not sure if that translates to the EVO though.

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/microsdhc

Last edited:

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I know this is getting off-topic, but a class 2 card isn't necessarily slower than a class 6 card. The class spec just gives the minimum speed of the card.

Anyway, yeah, for a cell phone, a super fast card isn't going to give you any improvement (other than if you connect the card to a PC for file transfers).

nkawal

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
i read somewhere a while ago that android dosent support 32gb cards until official 2.2 froyo comes out. i currently have a 16gb sandisk in my bb tour and will use in my evo that is already ordered. I've already sold of my ipod touch and can't remember where i read that though. Once supported, i will definately get a 32gb.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
So... I couldn't find anything to substantiate the claim regarding SD class support.

I think I read it on an AndroidCentral thread somewhere...

At any rate, HTC does state that the EVO supports SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity).

SDHC is said to support up to class 6. Not sure if that translates to the EVO though.

microSDHC (High-Capacity) - SD Association

Anything over 2gb is automatically SDHC. Regular SD microSD maxes out at 2.

However, even if it could "read" Class 6, I agree with the notion by others that anything more than Class 2 is overkill.

Brett636

May 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I've read, HTC says the device can only perform at class 2 speeds. So a 4, 6, or 10, is throwing money down the drain.

I'll look for a reference to back this up...

That sounds interesting, because I put a class 4 8gb card in my Samsung Instinct and it was noticeably faster in retrieving photos and music from the card than it did with its old class 2 2gb card. Why this phone has a 1ghz processor, but can only handle a class 2 card is beyond me.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Actually the EVO does support over Class 2, someone on these forums is using a class 6 because the class 2 it comes with is causing a lot of issues with the phone for some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech