1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Default Is Android the red headed step child?

Hi all, I'm new here. Just got my EVO yesterday to replace my iphone (maybe).

Checking out the apps and it just seems to me that Android just isn't supported as much. For example, there are no yahoo apps, the facebook app blows compared to the iphone one, all 4 of my local tv stations have an iphone app, but only two have Android ones. Weather underground is a big one too.

I love the EVO but am on the fence about returning it if the app support is always going to be second fiddle.

Talk me off the ledge please

Global Posts
    403 Global Posts

Even though Android has been around for a while, you're (we're) still early adopters. The longer its around, and the more people who buy Android Devices and don't return them, the more people will see benefit in developing for quality Apps for them.

Give it time.. Will it always be second fiddle...? Probably - especially if/when the iPhone goes to more carriers, but that doesn't mean it'll be neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgie View Post
    Hi all, I'm new here. Just got my EVO yesterday to replace my iphone (maybe).

Checking out the apps and it just seems to me that Android just isn't supported as much. For example, there are no yahoo apps, the facebook app blows compared to the iphone one, all 4 of my local tv stations have an iphone app, but only two have Android ones. Weather underground is a big one too.

I love the EVO but am on the fence about returning it if the app support is always going to be second fiddle.

Talk me off the ledge please
    Android's market has had far less time to mature. If this is a problem for you, then don't use Android. It's that simple.

Android may not be considered as mature as the Apple/iPhone platform, but considering where Android was just a few months ago, the progress has been phenomenal. With Verizon lacking an "iPhone" of its own, they seem to have been putting a great deal of resources into promoting their Android devices. The availability of the Droid and Droid Incredible have helped to push Android towards the mainstream. As others have mentioned, the effect will be greater development in terms of quantity and hopefully quality of apps being made for the platform. Also, as Android matures and the pace of (major) updates slows a bit, I think you will see even more developers embrace the platform. Part of the criticism of Android is what the media calls "fragmentation" but what most tech people see as a highly active development schedule. Phone carriers/manufacturers were probably not ready for the current fast pace development of the OS, so they don't update their devices as often as we would like. As Android development reaches a more sustainable level, I think we'll hear less about this so called fragmentation, and more about the ever growing number of apps/developers.

If you are not willing to ride out the early wave of frequent updates and wait for things to stabilize and developers to flock to the platform, you might be best served to go back to the Apple/iPhone platform for the time being. Things on the Android side will most likely be in a state of rapid progress for the near future. That's not to say Android isn't ready for the prime time; just that some people may not appreciate the openness and fast paced change (and resultant growing pains) this platform brings at this time.
    --
    applejosh
    Just a username...not a fanboy
    former Nexus One owner (AT&T)

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    ROM
    Redemption ROM

Looking back a year really shows how far we've come.

The only two mainstream devices were the HTC Sprint Hero, and the G1 from T-Mobile. That meant the two smaller carriers had 1 Android device.

Now look, you have all four major carriers (meaning the big ones as well) that have at least one Android device. For example, Verizon has at least 4 (that I can count off the top of my head). That is major progress. And if the iPhone 4G doesn't go to more carriers, I expect to see more and more people using Android.

I walked into the Verizon Store yesterday, to buy an Incredible. They were out (because of popular demand making it be backordered). However, there were at least 5 other people in there with their's, having it activated, set up, questions, etc. That is five people in a 15 minute time slot. And I didn't even pay attention to the DROIDs, to the Eris, or to the Devours.

So I'd expect to see more apps from more places in far better quality than previously.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

i would have to say android was the most underrated OS for a mobile device for first year that it was available. as time progressed it got a little bigger but when it comes down to it Verizon definitly brought into the limelight. just their advertisements alone alone made more people question what it was.

on a side note i am going to have to move this over to general discussion. the app section has more to do with discussing app available.

Remember that the iPhone has the largest share of phones so yes some very specific apps (local TV and radios app) will be created for that first. That is to be expected. Just like a lot of software is for the PC and not the MAC as the PC market is MUCH larger than the MAC one. Developers usually go after, or should I say start with, those markets first

As Android grows this will change believe me. Remember the iPhones has been out for 3+years, Android has only been around 18 months. Android is catching up to the iPhone at light speed, it really is. I bet in 6 months to a year a lot of these specialized apps will have Android versions. Maybe not all but as Android grows and gets its name out there, people take notice.

I personally LOVE the openness of the Android OS and the hardware (Evo for me) is much better than the iPhone.

Lets be honest the iPhone is a bit boring these days. Have a desktop, run an app, close the app, back to the desktop, rinse and repeat. Just viewing a live wallpaper puts a smile on my face. heck just having any wallpaper ii

Android is run and app, have 5 other apps doing all kinds of cool stuff, switch between them as they continue to do cool stuff, have all kids of cool stuff running in between while you change apps like widgets, notifications etc... It is just so much more FUN. yes Android is simply more fun than the iPhone. simple as that! ii
    Last edited by Paladin; 06-06-2010 at 10:15 AM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, drummer by desire and music lover by birth.
    A self proclaimed geek and gadget nut. ii <--Drum sticks
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

Thanks all for the reply... I think I am going to stick it out. I love the EVO and will be patient on the apps.

Multitasking was one of the big reasons I switched and flash. Although the flash doesn't seem to work with all (yahoo gamechannel/stattracker).

And of course the bigger screen and 4G when it arrives here in Minneapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgie View Post
    Thanks all for the reply... I think I am going to stick it out. I love the EVO and will be patient on the apps.

Multitasking was one of the big reasons I switched and flash. Although the flash doesn't seem to work with all (yahoo gamechannel/stattracker).

And of course the bigger screen and 4G when it arrives here in Minneapolis.
    Well Flash Light that's on the evo can't support all flash content, BUT when Froyo (android 2.2) comes out for the evo with full flash 10 it will!!!!!!!!!!

There wasn't even the Hero out 1 year ago, it was just the G1. The Hero came out in October of '09 and the Droid in November and that was the major turning point for Android. The Droid was the first Android phone to really appeal to the masses. After the Droid came out and its massive marketing push was really when develops took a serious look at Android and started making some of the same apps they have on iPhone.

The more and more great Android phones that are coming out and the massive marketing push and market share will only push developers to develop and port more of their apps over. I wouldn't be surprised if in 1 year or less from now the Android market passes iPhone in market apps and app quality based on the huge jump in the last 8 months.

Right now, Android is only 18 months in. Apple didn't even let apps be written for the iPhone for the first year (app store was part of OS 2 with the 3G's release) so really, you have to compare where Android is now to where the iPhone was in Jan/Feb 09. And Android is doing wayyy better IMO. Its getting over 100k activations PER DAY and that will only increase now that the Evo is out and many Pre users along with AT&T defectors are geting Evo's.

Besides, compare Android's app number to webOS, BB, or WinMo and I think you will see that in no way is Android the "red headed step child".
    Droid Incredible (4/29/10) -> TBolt (4/9/11) -> GNex (4/1/2012) > Droid Maxx (9/13/13)