Permanent Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnorris97

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm formally making my leave from AndroidCentral public. I received more insults than compliments on this forum. Especially from Drew. He doesn't want anyone to get ahead. He wants to stay on top.

jono0007

May 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't post often, but read just about every post in the Opt S hacking forum, and at this I feel I have to speak up.

Most of your posts were nonsensical, and showed a clear lack of understanding (reading) of just what's going on. The users on AC were, by a vast majority, very tolerant and helpful. Even while you posted rooting tools written by others, while there are full guides stickied at the top of the forum. Even when you posted (or attempted to post?) a ROM that, from everything I could tell by your first post, was just the stock ROM with Go Launcher illegally attached. A ROM you hadn't even tested?

Honestly half the time you posted I seriously wondered if you were a troll with too much time on his/her hands. Then you come here and say that Drew, one of our most venerated, helpful, experienced members was insulting you? He wasn't. At all. I don't even see how you thought that. When you got a Cease and Desist letter, he was in your thread constantly giving you advice on how to handle it.

Good luck with your Optimus S, but please don't insult our community or it's leaders by blaming it on us or them.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't post often, but read just about every post in the Opt S hacking forum, and at this I feel I have to speak up.

Most of your posts were nonsensical, and showed a clear lack of understanding (reading) of just what's going on. The users on AC were, by a vast majority, very tolerant and helpful. Even while you posted rooting tools written by others, while there are full guides stickied at the top of the forum. Even when you posted (or attempted to post?) a ROM that, from everything I could tell by your first post, was just the stock ROM with Go Launcher illegally attached. A ROM you hadn't even tested?

Honestly half the time you posted I seriously wondered if you were a troll with too much time on his/her hands. Then you come here and say that Drew, one of our most venerated, helpful, experienced members was insulting you? He wasn't. At all. I don't even see how you thought that. When you got a Cease and Desist letter, he was in your thread constantly giving you advice on how to handle it.

Good luck with your Optimus S, but please don't insult our community or it's leaders by blaming it on us or them.

^ This.

Regarding that C&D notice, I got in contact with some people whom are highly knowledgeable on the subject and found something most interesting. The law firm that supposedly sent the C&D notice never sent anything specifically to Mr. Norris, nor did Google ask them to.

This is not to mean that I think that the C&D notice was faked (although that's certainly a possibility considering the circumstances), rather that Mr. Norris was a victim of an attempted scam for monetary gain.

With that said, I hope you all understand why the circumstances surrounding his receipt of the C&D notice are somewhat suspicious:
1) He posts software that was created by one of our advisors, sfhub, claiming it as his own (giving credit to sfhub but stealing is stealing)
2) He receives a C&D notice that was written the same day the claimed software was posted.
3) He claims that his lawyer has advised he "lay off anything pertaining to what they said in the letter" and I'll attach his exact quote here:
I went to my attorney's office, and he told me sign it, and he signed it as a witness, and sending it off FedEx Express. Told me to lay off anything pertaining to what they said in the letter until he can investigate further. :'(
4) After that, he posts that he is about to release a ROM for the Optimus S. After being told to lay off anything pertaining to what they said in the letter (AKA anything related to Android)

Now if that doesn't look suspicious what does? Just saying.

If he was really working on a ROM, good for him. I just have this funny little deja vu feeling here. Anyone remember something called Just Works ROM? Or rather, Just Never Worked Or Existed ROM? Here's a little refresher if you don't (read the whole thread, you'll get what I'm saying): http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...t-works-rom-v1-hold-until-further-notice.html

It's for that reason solely that posting a ROM thread before the ROM is even ready for release has become a big no-no in the Optimus S forums, especially if nobody really knows who you are or what kind of work you put out. Now I'll be the first to admit that I kinda broke that rule with HydroROM, but only because I needed beta testers (it wasn't completed, but still was a working ROM).

Now it's time to address this:
I'm formally making my leave from AndroidCentral public. I received more insults than compliments on this forum. Especially from Drew. He doesn't want anyone to get ahead. He wants to stay on top.
Now that is a completely ridiculous and unfounded claim. I want everyone to get ahead, but I also want everyone to follow the rules (and the law). Mr. Norris did not follow the rules. He claimed that his ROM included GO Launcher, and when asked if he got permission to include it claimed he had no idea he needed said permission. You'd think after receiving a C&D notice he'd take every possible step to make certain he wasn't crossing any lines or breaking any laws, but you'd apparently be thinking incorrectly.

Lastly, I'm not "on top" as is claimed. Being "on top" is not a goal of mine, nor has it ever been. I simply enjoy doing what I do, which is the sole reason why I do it. The developer badge and other extra goodies? That's just icing on the cake. I'd be doing my thing even without all that. But when people don't follow the rules and/or law, that's when I feel it's my duty as a badged developer to step in and correct that. Besides, Beezy has the Senior Developer badge, not me.

This post was long and (potentially) boring, but I hope it gave you all a good idea of why I do what I do, and why I was probably a little harsh toward Mr. Norris. It was nothing personal, but refusing to follow rules and/or law is not something I can ignore.

Last edited:

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
also, if Drew is the abomination you make him out to be, than why hasn't he slammed:
Hlxthus (Spelling?)-DanteROM
Invicible Madness-Lewa
Gannon/Me2151- Miui
Kraven- Cm9
Jstntp-GingerROM
JasonEvil- CM7 themes
Buddlespit-GPS tweak
seems to me the stuff you're saying doesn't add up. Drew has said nothing rude to any of these people, and yet they develop stuff. Why hasn't Drew "wants to stay on top (as you put it)" Walton said anything to put down these members? Because he genuinely likes having other people deving and sharing their work with the community.

something15525

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
also, if Drew is the abomination you make him out to be, than why hasn't he slammed:
Hlxthus (Spelling?)-DanteROM
Invicible Madness-Lewa
Gannon/Me2151- Miui
Kraven- Cm9
Jstntp-GingerROM
JasonEvil- CM7 themes
Buddlespit-GPS tweak
seems to me the stuff you're saying doesn't add up. Drew has said nothing rude to any of these people, and yet they develop stuff. Why hasn't Drew "wants to stay on top (as you put it)" Walton said anything to put down these members? Because he genuinely likes having other people deving and sharing their work with the community.

I definitely agree with this and Drew's post as well. I've been trying to find spare time for a while to become a ROM developer, and I've actually gotten a few working builds of CM7 working with the help of thekraven and this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/optimus-v-rooting-roms-hacks/104423-building-your-own-rom.html

With this in mind, these forums and this community have been amazing at helping me in my Android endeavors, and I think the above thread is a case and point of what I'm trying to get across: Nobody wants to be "on top". Everyone here helps out each other, and that's what this community is about.

Keep doing what you're doing, AndroidCentral. You guys are truly a great community to be a part of. :cool:

Reactions: Va1ha11a

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I only read through the thread OP created with his to be released ROM and saw nothing to insinuate that Drew was doing nothing but to inform OP of the rules and reg's put in place by AC and what the first post was actually saying to be included in the ROM.

Words can often be construed various ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech