1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Parents may not let me move out im 18

Ok i have a question, I'm 18 years old and i graduate high school may 25th then I'm going to start work at a cheese place where my dad works (he got me in) but now I'm getting worried because my mom said she's holding onto the money i make and pretty much demands it like its a matter of fact. And i dont want her to i want to say "No! I'm 18 I've rightfully earned the money its my responsibility..." does my mom have a right to just take my money!? Also id like to mention my parents have this thing "you live under our roof you live under our rules" should i stand up to my mom and say *no!* also i plan to move out come september/october do my parents have a right to say i cant and what do i do if they do say that? Please help me out! All advice is appreciated!!!!

Sent from my A28 using Android Central Forums

Perhaps its a good idea to talk to your parents together about your concerns. Mention pitching into the household as far as paying rent or taking on a bill to show some initiative and responsibility. That may help your parents become more flexible with your freedom. On a side note. Mothers are very protective over their sons. Count it as a blessing.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Android Central Forums

ROM
    MIUIv4

You're 18 and legally an adult. Legally I don't think she can do that, but you do live in her house so I may be wrong.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running Cyanogenmod 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Octahedron View Post
    You're 18 and legally an adult. Legally I don't think she can do that, but you do live in her house so I may be wrong.

Sent from my LG Optimus V running Cyanogenmod 9.
    It is their house their rules but i know no one has a right to take your money
    Fun fact if your 18 and someone takes your money without your permission its called theft and is illegal so TECHNICALLY. if your mom says "give me your money" and you say "no" and she takes it anyway you could call the police and she could go to jail also though they have every right to charge you rent the that falls under landlord/tenant agreement and if you pay your rent they can't just barge in they have to follows rules or you can Sue them laws vary from place to place but they are mostly the same if you pay rent make them sign a contract and make sure it stipulates what you want but remember contracts work both ways

people who have kids have a responsibility to raise them but by no means does that mean they own them especially as a adults I bet you get alot of "dad got you the job" "you owe us"/him ect ect .if I we're you I'd quit the job pack a bag and move far away get your own job let time pass and come back a stranger but in that time you will have defined yourself and have made boundaries that no one could argue with

At first it will be hard but worth it
    if you don't know learn about food pantrys and homeless shelters(for in the beginning) make sure you have 2 forms of I'd (to get hired) and fill out apps all day everyday till you get a job also temp services are a temporary solution /get your foot in the door

Or just Google "menendez brothers"
    Just kidding don't do that

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,182 Global Posts

Be prepared to be cut off if you move out.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Forums Emeritus

Global Posts
    13,813 Global Posts

Default Re: Parents may not let me move out im 18

If I were in your shoes I'd let them keep the money and stay with them as long as humanly possible. I never realized how good I had it until it was too late.

Yes, it is your money and you have full control over it. However, it's their house and they have full control over it as well.

Don't rush and always appreciate your parents. Voice your opinions on this matter to them respectfully. I rushed out the literal day and l would not suggest it no no no.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Did you mom explain what she is doing with the money as well?

Back when i was younger and saving to move my mom took a portion of my money and kept it separate so that I wouldn't be tempted to spend it. I never really thought about it but when i actually moved out and i was given back all that money it was amazing how much easier it was when i first left and had lots of extra expenses.