Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone irked by ads on Google homepage?

It annoys me a little bit that the Nexus 7 is advertised on Google's search homepage. Am I just way too whiny or is this bothersome to others as well?

Default Re: Anyone irked by ads on Google homepage?

You mean the blurb below the search box, "The playground is open. Nexus 7: the new tablet from Google"? Doesn't bother me as I barely notice it. However, sometimes I do get annoyed with the logo changes. Shrug...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    You mean the blurb below the search box, "The playground is open. Nexus 7: the new tablet from Google"? Doesn't bother me as I barely notice it. However, sometimes I do get annoyed with the logo changes. Shrug...
    Yea that's the one! Lol.

I just remember back when Google.com was just a simple search bar, nothing else. I know it's unreasonable to expect it not to change at all, but it still annoys me.... Oh well, I'm just one tiny fish in the sea, what does my opinion matter I guess. Lol.

Absolutely agree. Seemed like a cheap mercenary marketing decision to me. It's not Yahoo-level clutter, but I wouldn't have thought this decision would pass.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

They did that for the previous Nexus devices. Heck, I think they even put one up for the original DROID.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Could be a little smaller IMO, but overall it does not bother me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone irked by ads on Google homepage?-google.jpg  

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI/CM7

This is what saddens me about the world. People are using a free service and still complain about an ad at the bottom. That's like complaining about the candy bars at a checkout stand at your grocery store. Find something in life worth complaining about.
    Thanked by 6:

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

doesn't bother me at all....the more people that see it the better.
    its not like it takes up any valuable real estate. and its not like it is ALWAYS going to be there.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.

ROM
    Stock

Would you get mad if a bagel shop put up a sign that said "We sell Bagels!"? Their real estate, they can do what they want. Doesn't block off the main function of the page which is that beautiful little rectangle in the middle that says SEARCH.

I'm not. "Remember when Google was just search..." Time flies

And If you're not a nerd there's a good chance that ipad and tablet are synonims besides it's free advertising
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

As long as the Google homepage doesn't turn into Yahoo, I'm fine.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:

Google's been going downhill ever since they decided to add the left side bar to their results. Until there is a better alternative we just have to get used to it.

ROM
    Stock

The advertising company advertises?! NO?! jk
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.

It takes up like 10% of the page, it doesn't strike you in the face directly and so no ... It doesn't irk me.

Global Posts
    346 Global Posts

Doesn't bother me (I didn't even see it until I saw it on AC's main page), since I usually go to (which it doesn't show up on)

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrLouie View Post
    Doesn't bother me (I didn't even see it until I saw it on AC's main page), since I usually go to (which it doesn't show up on)
    I use encrypted/secure and it's on my page.

If Google wants to advertise a "GOOGLE" product, let them. I think it's a great tablet and more people need to know about it. It's like complaining about watching NBC and they throw up a commercial for "The Office". How dare they advertise their own show on their network? A network we can access for free...same with Google.
    Thanked by 2:

Everyone does remember that google makes their money based on Ad revenue. They have arguably the most visited page in the world which is prime real estate that they generally leave completely white. I think it's a great idea, regardless of how people speculate their device sales are going, to put a unobtrusive ad at the bottom. Sure it catches your eye but you don't have to click an X to get it to go away to use the page or anything like that. I say, good idea.

I should say I'm a proud Nexus 7 owner but if it were some other device Google had a significant interest in, I would feel the same way.

Global Posts
    179 Global Posts

You're kidding right? If you had a space that popular, wouldn't you use it? As long as they don't go selling the space to others, a small unobtrusive add for THEIR product is perfectly fine with me.

When I saw it my first reaction was "heck yeah El Goog, get the word out on Nexus devices!"

Doesn't bother me and I want to see the Nexus 7 sell. So sell as many as you can Google! I own one and love it and I want others to experience the absolute best Android OS has to offer and it is without a doubt the Nexus 7.

In fact I want to see every Nexus device advertized on their homepage.
    I am NOT the person set as my icon, and no, I don't know who she is.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I don't see what the huge fuss is all about. Google is advertising their product on their own website.

Doesn't bother me one bit.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini

If it weren't for advertising, Google would not have had the resources to develop the Android operating system and distribute it open-source. I don't think advertising their tablet, in the rather uncluttered and unobtrusive manner in which they did so, is unreasonable in the slightest. As it's been said, it's their real estate and they have landscaped it with a little something to help business without losing the focal purpose and attention. Good on them.

In short, to answer the OP's question - yes, you are being too whiny.
    Sent from some electronic device, using my fingers.
    ScandaLeX likes this.

Global Posts
    2,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    HydroROM

Google advertising their own products on their own website (that you pay nothing to use)? Whodathunkit?
    ScandaLeX likes this.

Global Posts
    11,176 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't see it as a problem. After all it is Googles own product. Why not advertise it.

Tap'n from my White SGT2 7.0 SE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast