Owning both the AT&T GS3 and AT&T HOX

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,
Just like to share with you my experiences with owning these two phones.

I used my upgrade this year for a Marble White GS3 and happily brought it home and babied it for about a week with almost no issues, the only one being that the TW weather widget never locked onto my current location properly (always put me a city or two away from here.) Then, the problems swooped in like a plague. WiFi was unbelievably sluggish, even to the point where it acted as if I wasn't connected to the Internet at all. (My iPod and laptop loaded pages and YouTube videos just fine. And, I'm on a 18+mbps down, 1mbps up network.) If I wanted to do anything that used the Internet, I had to use 4G, which made my WiFi look like a turtle. TouchWiz often stuttered and crashed, and apps crashed occasionally as well. Sunlight visibility also seeme to be disappointing, even though being led to believe that AMOLEDs had fantastic sunlight legibility. The screen just looked flat out DARK, even on an overcast day. It didn't help either that I live in CA, where the sun shines 99% of the time. A week later, I reluctantly traded in my S3 for a One X (I was still within my 30-day period.)

After owning the One X for nearly a month now, it's been working just fine. The screen is bright enough for me to see it outside just fine, which is a plus. Also, any of the stutters and WiFi issues are nonexistant. The only problems with this are a slight light leak at the bottom (where screen meets bezel), and one of the capacitive buttons doesn't light up fully, but it's purely cosmetical. The multitasking isn't much of an issue for me, since I don't tend to do that anyway. Before I start getting called a fanboy, that's not the case. I love anything that's not Apple, really. This was my first time using smartphones, and I love both.

The S3 would have been a great phone for me, but it seems I had the misfortune of receiving a bad unit. The HOX has been a great experience so far, with nothing for me to complain about. I do, however, miss all the quirky things about the S3 (ripple lockscreen, Smart Stay, etc.)

Does this mean you should avoid the S3? Absolutely not. There's a few bad ones floating out there, but the chances of you getting a bad device are pretty slim. The S3 is a phenomenal device. So, which one is better? Really, it's all a matter of personal choice. But going to the nitty-gritty, both phones are simply the two best on the market out now, and you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited: