What do you like and dislike in modern smartphones?

Antoga

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
We want to unite "smartphone fans", ie all people for whom the smartphone is not just a dialer, but a powerful and useful gadget.

We would be grateful for all opinions from "experts" and "dummies".

The point is very simple - please, share: what you like and dislike in modern smartphones?

What features do you use and which of them seems to be redundant?

What functionality works well, and what still leaves much to be desired, etc. and so on?

plkevlar

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My favorite thing about my modern day android powered device has to be the multitasking. I love the huge home button on my gs3 cuz I use the crap out of it. Being able to just long press my home button and continue something I had been doing earlier exactly how I left it, or being in the middle of a game and I can go Google something for a friend without the old "ugh I'm playing a game guys". Seemles multitasking is by far the best thing about my phone.

Things I hate have to be the battery technology and this horrible glass. I'm on my second s3 already and smashed the screen on the third day. Just a simple drop from couch cushion hight and pow, spider web cracks all the way up. The battery on this phone is insanely awesome compared to previous devices. With regular to light heavy use I can finally last a whole day. I hate power saving mode but the use of this feature propels my phone to the end of my day without worry. I just wish I could use the ever lovin crap out of it all day and still have seventy percent left for the next day (call me a dreamer).

things I look forward to seeing I the future besides better glass is some sort of infrared light technology so my front facing camera worked better in low light situations. Hopefully my screen could be used to weigh things in the future like a handy set of scales on me all the time and possibly a taser. But as you can tell besides the glass I have no real complaints about this modern day handset of mine, Sammy did this thing right. Ohh and besides the multitasking this freakin camera is insane! My best and favorite camera to date.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
What I like best is the ability to perform tasks that formerly required a desktop PC.

What I dislike is carrier practices of tiered data plans, overage costs, and throttling.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I like being connected to almost everything.

I hate being connected to almost everything.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of a x86 based smartphone but not for windows but for android because it would probably run windows software better! (Only because of the open source community of course!)
Honestly their isn't one thing I don't like about it

DO NOT MAKE THE BATTERY NON REMOVABLE

DO NOT DO AWAY WITH EXTERNAL SD-CARD

DO NOT AND I REPEAT DOO NOT! SELL A LOCKED ANDROID DEVICE

saying hey I'm not a nazi dictator on this open source platform feel free to do with your device as you please is a great selling point to

And if you wanna make a but ton of sales even assist in the custom rom development of your community

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

robertkoa

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Like the multifunction where for many things, the device is a combination of a good laptop computer phone and camera in your

pocket.

I like the way speed and screens are improving.

I dislike the obsession with thin- ness and very light weight because it necessitates smaller batteries and we need longer battery life.

I dislike on ICS the way the cursor jumps erratically during edits especially on Forums.

I dislike that many phones have inferior earpiece and speakerphone sound quality.

I dislike that there are few if any Apps that can do Slide Presentations with Pro Fonts and combine Photos with Pro Fonts ,and.basic Powerpoint.

CrazCruz

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of a x86 based smartphone but not for windows but for android because it would probably run windows software better! (Only because of the open source community of course!)
Honestly their isn't one thing I don't like about it

DO NOT MAKE THE BATTERY NON REMOVABLE

DO NOT DO AWAY WITH EXTERNAL SD-CARD

DO NOT AND I REPEAT DOO NOT! SELL A LOCKED ANDROID DEVICE

saying hey I'm not a nazi dictator on this open source platform feel free to do with your device as you please is a great selling point to

And if you wanna make a but ton of sales even assist in the custom rom development of your community

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

Seems like you're describing the nexus 4, I bet you hate it! Lol

Parrot23

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What I like:
- Big wonderful screen
- Design
- Thin factor
- Little design
What I dislike:
- Too big of a display (my Nexus is ideal dimension, anything larger is uncomfortable)
- Power supply technical hasn't enhanced much

Greg P1

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Here's a list of my dislikes:
  • short battery life
  • poor reception
  • paying big bucks for internal RAM
  • over-sensitive buttons and touch-screens
  • excessive advertising (OK if it pays for content)
  • non-replaceable batteries

What I do like:
  • Faster processors
  • lots of RAM
  • brilliant apps
  • brilliant displays
  • Multitasking (Galaxy Note 2)
  • Customizable layouts (not like Apple)
  • LTE and large data plans

HimOffTheTelly

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I like being connected to almost everything.

I hate being connected to almost everything.

THIS.

Battery life is the number one gripe of all modern smartphones. If you look at them purely as phones battery life is crap when compared with the battery life of yesterday's dumbphones. However when looked as pocket computers largely taking over many of the roles hitherto associated with laptops and it actually isn't that bad. Still, not having to charge up a smartphone for a week with frequent use would be a total bonus.

One day maybe ;-)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's a list of my dislikes:
  • short battery life
  • poor reception
  • paying big bucks for internal RAM
  • over-sensitive buttons and touch-screens
  • excessive advertising (OK if it pays for content)
  • non-replaceable batteries

What I do like:
  • Faster processors
  • lots of RAM
  • brilliant apps
  • brilliant displays
  • Multitasking (Galaxy Note 2)
  • Customizable layouts (not like Apple)
  • LTE and large data plans

I'd like to add Bloatware to the list of dislikes.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

omgzam

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I love how smartphones have come a long way to make almost everything accessible to us right at our fingertips.

However, we're also a walking targeted advertisement.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I like
-the computer-in-a-pocket that is always connected (well, almost always...Sprint, hurry with the LTE rollout!)
-camera quality
-choice
-increasing adoption of water-resistance

I dislike
-shrinking number of form factors (everyone seems to be stuck on slabs)
-no multi-band hardware that can be used on all major carriers (come on next Nexus...)
-still no viable webOS skin on top of android!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I like just about everything about today's smartphones. With all the options out there, there's usually something for everyone.

What I don't like... No, hate(!) about them is using micro USB for charging. I'm all for a universal charging port, but I've had to resort to buying micro USB cables in bulk because they break internally so easy. Before I got a smartphone, I never had a problem with other types of charging cables. I used to get nearly two years out of one before needing to replace it. Now I'm sometimes lucky to get two months. Ironic, because it's my understanding that going micro USB was to limit the need for so many cables and can use them interchangeably with other phones, so the would be less manufacturing and landfill waste.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I like just about everything about today's smartphones. With all the options out there, there's usually something for everyone.

What I don't like... No, hate(!) about them is using micro USB for charging. I'm all for a universal charging port, but I've had to resort to buying micro USB cables in bulk because they break internally so easy. Before I got a smartphone, I never had a problem with other types of charging cables. I used to get nearly two years out of one before needing to replace it. Now I'm sometimes lucky to get two months. Ironic, because it's my understanding that going micro USB was to limit the need for so many cables and can use them interchangeably with other phones, so the would be less manufacturing and landfill waste.

What the heck are you doing to all of these cables?!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
What the heck are you doing to all of these cables?!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I leave it plugged in to my phone while it sits in the cradle when I drive. Same thing I did with my dumb phones when I had them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87