Whats Revolutionary About iPhone 5?

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
True wireless charging to me would be only having one central charging station that outputs signals and any device within say 30 feet or so could charge. That would be awesome because say you go out to eat or to a friend's house and they have a charging station like that, it would automatically charge without any effort needed.

Thats revolutionary!

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by "true" wireless charging?

It's really revolutionary, because when wireless charging becomes the norm, businesses will put chargers everywhere like WiFi hotspots and our devices will always be charged.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't wait to start stealing from wireless charging stations. I can see me carrying my battery pack and jacking wireless charging stations.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's really revolutionary, because when wireless charging becomes the norm, businesses will put chargers everywhere like WiFi hotspots and our devices will always be charged.

Only if you have a really low bar for 'revolutionary'.

Pretty much everything that's happened in the last 15 years in phones is evolution, not revolution. The iPhone takes credit for being the first to take these disjointed technologies and usage models and joining them together seamlessly in a single platform. It's more like art than science.

The technology revolution(s) that enabled that was wireless technology to start with (the radio), combined with the integrated circuit (together with radio you get things like a cell phone, and a computer), and LCD / touch technology (and now you have the iPhone). So those date back to the 1800s, 1950s and 1980s respectively.

Now what would be revolutionary would be something really new, not something old but done better / faster / cheaper / smaller. I'm still waiting for that ESP plugin that will read minds, or the matter transformer that will change my car into a robot :) Right now I would settle for something that turned my Bionic into a homelink style garage door opener though, I think mine was made in the 80s!

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Only if you have a really low bar for 'revolutionary'.

Pretty much everything that's happened in the last 15 years in phones is evolution, not revolution. The iPhone takes credit for being the first to take these disjointed technologies and usage models and joining them together seamlessly in a single platform. It's more like art than science.

The technology revolution(s) that enabled that was wireless technology to start with (the radio), combined with the integrated circuit (together with radio you get things like a cell phone, and a computer), and LCD / touch technology (and now you have the iPhone). So those date back to the 1800s, 1950s and 1980s respectively.

Now what would be revolutionary would be something really new, not something old but done better / faster / cheaper / smaller. I'm still waiting for that ESP plugin that will read minds, or the matter transformer that will change my car into a robot :) Right now I would settle for something that turned my Bionic into a homelink style garage door opener though, I think mine was made in the 80s!

Look, if you don't consider electrical energy being beamed through the air to consumer devices that then in turn stay perpetually charged revolutionary, your bar for revolutionary is INSANELY high.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Look, if you don't consider electrical energy being beamed through the air to consumer devices that then in turn stay perpetually charged revolutionary, your bar for revolutionary is INSANELY high.

If you're talking about Intels announcement at the end of august, then you should know that what they're talking about is no more useful (or revolutionary) than the wireless charging we have now. The device would still have to be an inch away from an equipped laptop, and could not move away from it to charge.

It also won't be on the market anywhere near 2013. Intel is showing some reference hardware next year, but nothing production and without any time line.

http://m.cnet.com/news/phones-will-get-all-charged-up-about-new-ultrabook-feature/57503111

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about Intels announcement at the end of august, then you should know that what they're talking about is no more useful (or revolutionary) than the wireless charging we have now. The device would still have to be an inch away from an equipped laptop, and could not move away from it to charge.

It also won't be on the market anywhere near 2013. Intel is showing some reference hardware next year, but nothing production and without any time line.

http://m.cnet.com/news/phones-will-get-all-charged-up-about-new-ultrabook-feature/57503111

Samsung has been hinting at a proper wireless device next year. Intel's inductive wireless chargers are not at all interesting. Resonance charging is where it's at.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has been hinting at a proper wireless device next year. Intel's inductive wireless chargers are not at all interesting. Resonance charging is where it's at.

Intels is resonance charging...

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Intel's also resonance charging?

Wireless Charging Technology

Intels is resonance charging...

Forgive, I misspoke. Intel's resonance charger barely even counts in my opinion. I used to play with the resonance machine at WSU and it could easily beam power 20 feet or so at 45 percent efficiency.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Forgive, I misspoke. Intel's resonance charger barely even counts in my opinion. I used to play with the resonance machine at WSU and it could easily beam power 20 feet or so at 45 percent efficiency.

IMO, resonance is revolutionary. Increasing the distances and efficiency will be evolutionary.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Suffice it to say that despite how any manufacturer decides to describe their phone, there is nothing revolutionary about any of these phones. It will take a paradigm shift in technology for there to be anything revolutionary. Given today's technology, I don't see that happening in the near future. Maybe a few years from now.

That's where technology visionaries come into play. I don't count marketing visionaries like Steve Jobs. While he did a lot to make people aware of the technology, he didn't invent any of it. He just put it in a shiny package and sold it.

The next truly revolutionary phone technology steps will be for things like battery power that lasts weeks instead of hours; radios that can get through steel and concrete office buildings without having to stand by a window, etc. Those are things that I consider revolutionary. Everything else is merely evolutionary. We are at a technological plateau right now. Ultimately, I believe that any true advances that we see in smartphones will come from other outside technologies, developed in the scientific community at large. Those technologies will spill over, and then we'll have something revolutionary to talk about.

List of revolutionary phones:
The first phone (the one that Alexander Graham Bell made)
That Motorola phone that was the first cellular phone
Possibly the IBM Simon?

---------- Post Merged at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:57 PM ----------

The only problem with that is that charging too much could damage the battery. My mom's old PDA was kept docked at her work for years. As soon as it came off the dock, it died. Then it worked fine with another battery that was not kept charging. A similar thing happened with her MacBook Pro, except not as drastic. But I guess this could be fixed if the charging was voluntary. This would add in some effort, but not much; a possibility could be that you could just tap the screen and it would charge.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
List of revolutionary phones:
The first phone (the one that Alexander Graham Bell made)
That Motorola phone that was the first cellular phone
Possibly the IBM Simon?

---------- Post Merged at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:57 PM ----------

The only problem with that is that charging too much could damage the battery. My mom's old PDA was kept docked at her work for years. As soon as it came off the dock, it died. Then it worked fine with another battery that was not kept charging. A similar thing happened with her MacBook Pro, except not as drastic. But I guess this could be fixed if the charging was voluntary. This would add in some effort, but not much; a possibility could be that you could just tap the screen and it would charge.

Old batteries aren't the same as current lithium variants. That's not to say that new batteries won't eventually lose capacity, but they lose much less. I keep my One X plugged into a battery bank all day. It still has the same battery life as when I bought it 4 months ago. This kind of issue would only occur after years of use.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Old batteries aren't the same as current lithium variants. That's not to say that new batteries won't eventually lose capacity, but they lose much less. I keep my One X plugged into a battery bank all day. It still has the same battery life as when I bought it 4 months ago. This kind of issue would only occur after years of use.

Ah. I see. Thanks for correcting me.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I may seem like an iPhone apologist, here's one thing Android whips Apple ar bigtime though - Navigation. Cant tell ya how many times my wife has been fumblin with her iPhone, when all I gotta do is press a blue arrow and speak.
And it's been around since at least 2.3

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I may seem like an iPhone apologist, here's one thing Android whips Apple ar bigtime though - Navigation. Cant tell ya how many times my wide gas been fumblin with her iPhone, when all I gotta do is press a blue arrow and speak.
And it's been around since at least 2.3

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Did the iPhone have a native navigation app before iOS 6? Although I'd hardly call Apple Maps a navigation app…

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rezaking886