Thought this was funny and interesting.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

They're winning the battle (market share) but losing the war (profit). Apple still makes double the profits of Samsung in the mobile market.

I think Schmidt is also misguided attempting to compare the mobile OS market to that of the desktop market. The current market is far more fluid than the desktop market ever was, and fortunes could change for any of the major players very quickly. All it would take is one disruptive force (likely Microsoft) and the fortunes of both apple and google could change quickly.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
They're winning the battle (market share) but losing the war (profit). Apple still makes double the profits of Samsung in the mobile market.

I think Schmidt is also misguided attempting to compare the mobile OS market to that of the desktop market. The current market is far more fluid than the desktop market ever was, and fortunes could change for any of the major players very quickly. All it would take is one disruptive force (likely Microsoft) and the fortunes of both apple and google could change quickly.

Market share is all Google is worried about in a way if Google holds 75% of global smartphone market it wins because its after your data. Samsung may in fact be losing since its money comes from the hardware but trust me Google is laughing all the way to the bank right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

But it's Apple against Google and Samsung and Motorola and Sony and LG and HTC and all the other manufacturers. And now Qualcomm is pissed off too. This type of negative impact in the market is already impacting their bottom line. And now the tablet market is sliding too.

Google doesn't have to win the hardware game they are in everything. You may have heard the big news today. Google maps is back on iOS. Apple fans are ecstatic. +1 for Google.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Apple fans bring this up all the time. While Apple's profit is indeed impressive, what does anyone besides stockholders care? Does profit make the product better? It could be somewhat of a barometer of quality, but it doesn't directly affect it. The pros & cons of iPhone vs. Android or WP aren't related to profit.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Apple fans bring this up all the time. While Apple's profit is indeed impressive, what does anyone besides stockholders care? Does profit make the product better? It could be somewhat of a barometer of quality, but it doesn't directly affect it. The pros & cons of iPhone vs. Android or WP aren't related to profit.

Without profits the business model is unsustainable. Without profits, companies cannot invest in R&D and new technologies. Profits are as critical to the industry as market share is. (Pros and cons of each platform are irrelevant to the conversation)

The fact that the only android manufacturer that is able to make any measurable money off android is Samsung is a big warning flag. Google itself makes more off iOS than android.

Here's why it's not a good thing for android, and why the war is far more dynamic than Schmidt acknowledges: without profits, manufacturers will be more inclined to move to other platforms that are on the rise. If HTC starts making a lot of money off Windows phone, do you really think they'll stick around with android?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Without profits the business model is unsustainable.

You coulda stopped there.

They will stick with Android though. There is no doubt about that. Why? The potential. If Android overall has 70% of the smartphone market (even if 40% of that is samsungs) they will stick with the platform. Everyone stuck with Windows even with Vista being a flaming pile.

Everyone will hope that the next big phone will be theirs. The good thing that will come out of it is that there will be LESS phones made and more of these throw aways will be gotten rid of.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with Pizza. LG is also making money and with the success of the Nexus 4 has an even bigger opportunity. Asus is proving that they are very committed and have made money too. HTC could be at the top if they could realize that they need to put a half decent battery in their phones.

Apple has loads of cash for now, but Google is still raking in boat loads of money. Apple's hold on the market is much weaker than Googles IMO. If everyone stops buying Apple products Google still wins and Apple loses. If they keep buying Apple products then Google still wins.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Pizza. LG is also making money and with the success of the Nexus 4 has an even bigger opportunity. Asus is proving that they are very committed and have made money too. HTC could be at the top if they could realize that they need to put a half decent battery in their phones.

Apple has loads of cash for now, but Google is still raking in boat loads of money. Apple's hold on the market is much weaker than Googles IMO. If everyone stops buying Apple products Google still wins and Apple loses. If they keep buying Apple products then Google still wins.

Lg is barely profitable.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You coulda stopped there.

They will stick with Android though. There is no doubt about that. Why? The potential. If Android overall has 70% of the smartphone market (even if 40% of that is samsungs) they will stick with the platform. Everyone stuck with Windows even with Vista being a flaming pile.

Everyone will hope that the next big phone will be theirs. The good thing that will come out of it is that there will be LESS phones made and more of these throw aways will be gotten rid of.

Everyone stuck with Windows because they stuck with XP. Let's not get that twisted.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

But just because Google is making money because of Android (and the data it collects) doesn't mean that hardware makers are also making money right along side with them.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I havent seen on post a loss. They are not making tons, but they are making

Sure. But can you honestly say that when over 90% of the profits go to Apple and Samsung that doesn't give you any caution about the other hardware players?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hyundai was in the same kind of boat in the US and they seem to be doing ok

Caution sure, maybe we lose Sony, but MOTO, Samsung, LG and HTC will plow through for quite some time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888