Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree819Likes

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Default Re: Thought this was funny and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I think they both have some serious profits. Apple may have more at this point but Google is not anywhere near being unprofitable.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Those profits aren't on Google their profits come from ad and data revenue not from android itself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Those profits aren't on Google their profits come from ad and data revenue not from android itself

So you're saying Android doesn't make Google any profits? Cause that's what it seems like (please tell me I'm wrong.) lol

Default Thought this was funny and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    No the winner is Google. They make a metric **** ton of money off apple, they make another ton off search, they get higher brand recognition off android(no matter who makes the phone). They are in nothing but a win situation

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    There is no winner. Google has market share and makes money off apple, and apple has less marketshare but makes more money than all of the android manufacturers combined.

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    So you're saying Android doesn't make Google any profits? Cause that's what it seems like (please tell me I'm wrong.) lol
    Not anything measurable. Google has had a lot of difficulty monetizing android, which is sort of shocking considering their market share and that they've had no such problems with iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Not anything measurable. Google has had a lot of difficulty monetizing android, which is sort of shocking considering their market share and that they've had no such problems with iOS.
    Well there's still something. I mean it might seem insignificant compared to everything else Google has that makes them money but every extra bit of profit is still profit.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    They are not monetizing the os itself yes they make money off of it but the way it works isn't like apple whose profits come primarily from hardware your looking at two completely different business models

Thanked by:

They are not monetizing the os itself yes they make money off of it but the way it works isn't like apple whose profits come primarily from hardware your looking at two completely different business models

Well unlike Google, Apple only really makes hardware (and the software that goes with it of course) whereas Google mostly makes money on software and it's various services (i would guess anyway.) So it's not surprising. I'm no business expert though, I just enjoy the products.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

That is exactly googles business model. They could care less about the hardware (the n4 proves that) they make the money on the back end

That is exactly googles business model. They could care less about the hardware (the n4 proves that) they make the money on the back end

But that's the thing: they don't. Googles profit from android is non-existent.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

You misunderstood. They do make a bit off of playstore purchases of apps and they make a ton off search from android. Do not discount that because those profits are a direct rest of android

Thanked by:

You misunderstood. They do make a bit off of playstore purchases of apps and they make a ton off search from android. Do not discount that because those profits are a direct rest of android

They don't. All of that money is not profit, it pays for all of the expenses related to android. They make nothing from it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

So you are going to tell me that the increase in ad views that they are getting from android searches on Google equates to next to nothing?

They make nothing on the operating system, they make very little on the hardware, they make just a bit more on apps, they make a ton off the searches from those three other things.

Is that in dispute?

Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

It doesn't really matter. Google makes their money however they like and continues to support Android because of it, so it's all good.

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

There is no winner. Google has market share and makes money off apple, and apple has less marketshare but makes more money than all of the android manufacturers combined.
    But a large part of it is also from app sales. The Android manufacturers get none of that.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

But that's the thing: they don't. Googles profit from android is non-existent.
    This is still a long term investment on Googles part. They are a profitable company based on users. There are semantics based on how they make money but Android helps Google to make money so I'm not sure what the argument is. Their software is open source so it's a non profit maker. Apple makes all their money on hardware. I think that Googles business model is much less volatile than Apple's because it is not dependant on hardware sales. Windows Phone could take over and google would still do well. BlackBerry comes back? No biggie. Apple has to fight legal battles to maintain their market share.

Android Evangelist

So you are going to tell me that the increase in ad views that they are getting from android searches on Google equates to next to nothing?

They make nothing on the operating system, they make very little on the hardware, they make just a bit more on apps, they make a ton off the searches from those three other things.

Is that in dispute?

Yes. Google itself says it makes nothing on android, ads, apps, and content included. From 2008-2011, google had $550 million in revenue. (Note: NOT profit) That hasn't changed. Google even acknowledges that it is in the very early stages of monetizing the platform, and they clearly have a long way to go.

This is still a long term investment on Googles part. They are a profitable company based on users. There are semantics based on how they make money but Android helps Google to make money so I'm not sure what the argument is. Their software is open source so it's a non profit maker. Apple makes all their money on hardware. I think that Googles business model is much less volatile than Apple's because it is not dependant on hardware sales. Windows Phone could take over and google would still do well. BlackBerry comes back? No biggie. Apple has to fight legal battles to maintain their market share.

Googles model is just as volatile. It is dependent on clicks and users eyes, and there are as many competitors for them in that way as there are in hardware.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Googles model is just as volatile. It is dependent on clicks and users eyes, and there are as many competitors for them in that way as there are in hardware.
    Really? When was the last time you Bing'd something? Last time I checked there were quite a few advertisers on Google.

Android Evangelist
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.

Really? When was the last time you Bing'd something? Last time I checked there were quite a few advertisers on Google.

It's still volatile. At their core, they're a marketing and advertising company. As soon as a better product is out there, google will lose business.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

It's still volatile. At their core, they're a marketing and advertising company. As soon as a better product is out there, google will lose business.
    Yes but Apple just proved that this is not so easy to do with Apple Maps. Ask yahoo or Bing how well their search engines are doing compared to Google?

Google still made around 10 billion in profit this year and that's after buying Motorola. And they spend piles of their money on innovation and R&D. Way more than Apple. In fact Apple spends the least at 4% compared to everyone else which is why I think they are losing ground. While Apple is busy selling the same old iPhone's, Google is trying to build driverless cars and Google glasses. Apple has basically one product Google has many. And as soon as they start focusing more on Motorola things could change in a hurry on the hardware side too.

Android Evangelist

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Put like that there is no non-volatile business. If someone makes a legitimately better product in any business others will stand to lose. Apple and Google have built empires in a relatively short amount of time because they knew how to best serve their respective audience the minute that stops being true is the time they fall. Google is doing extremely well for itself and is accomplishing its short term goals very well apple we know for a fact has been a money making machine both put out decent products but people see android as something more than what it is. Its not like apple it does not need high profits it does not need Google as a dedicated vendor it doesn't need control as that will only stifle its growth which growth is ultimately what Google wants from it. It wants the os itself to spread like wildfire to as many phones and vendors as possible so Google can get our sweet sweet data. So they can continue to dominate search so that it can tell you what you want before you want it so it can be a staple in your everyday life. Google is winning its own battle because it has that 70% market share. And because its still a big part of iOS users too.

Thanked by:
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #172  

Outdated yet Young Motorola Photon 4G
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #173  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Android Evangelist
    Thanked by:
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #175  

Not funny or interesting, but kind of sad for photon users who are on 2.3.5...

Page 7 of 96 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast