Thought this was funny and interesting.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
And it's dying (the plug-in ofcorse) naturally practically by Adobe decision, they could continue support but they know thy on the way and so they moved on contributing to HTML5 so they can make Flash output JS.
Yes which is good. I just wish apple waited until adobe and everyone else was ready instead of foisting their decision on the entire planet. Face it. The experience has been a s**t show for nearly 2 years.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
...but when Apple dropped Flash..

Last I checked, OS X has a Flash plugin available. Apple didn't drop Flash there.

And last I checked, iOS never supported a Flash plugin. Apple never supported Flash here so there is nothing for Apple to "drop".

I think I know what you're trying to say here, but it's incorrect.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but if you are gonna put out the most popular phone on the planet and not support it, it is a decent shove.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but if you are gonna put out the most popular phone on the planet and not support it, it is a decent shove.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Again, I'm pretty sure I get what he's trying to say but saying it that way is technically incorrect.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Last I checked, OS X has a Flash plugin available. Apple didn't drop Flash there.

And last I checked, iOS never supported a Flash plugin. Apple never supported Flash here so there is nothing for Apple to "drop".

I think I know what you're trying to say here, but it's incorrect.

Well in case of OS X, Adobe don't need to even ask Apple. Thru Adobe drop development on Linux (might be related to Android drop?), they left OS X probably because they relese editing software on it

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Again, I'm pretty sure I get what he's trying to say but saying it that way is technically incorrect.

It's mainly the way they go about it. They either don't support it or decide to remove it and don't care how much it inconveniences their customers. Oh sorry, here's a new lightening cable. Sorry all your expensive accessories don't work. It's the same thing with how they dealt with Flash. It was never a positive for anyone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It's mainly the way they go about it. They either don't support it or decide to remove it and don't care how much it inconveniences their customers. Oh sorry, here's a new lightening cable. Sorry all your expensive accessories don't work. It's the same thing with how they dealt with Flash. It was never a positive for anyone.

It was never negative either. If anything, the lack of flash pushed alternatives like HTML 5 forward much, much faster.

Also, I see you're trying to bring lightning into the argument, but what they did is no different than the move from miniUSB to microUSB, or from any of the proprietary cables to microusb. Is it not convenient? Yes. But was it absolutely necessary? Yes.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So it's hate for hates sake?

Apple didn't kill Flash. Apple was under no obligation to support it on mobile.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It was never negative either. If anything, the lack of flash pushed alternatives like HTML 5 forward much, much faster.

Also, I see you're trying to bring lightning into the argument, but what they did is no different than the move from miniUSB to microUSB, or from any of the proprietary cables to microusb. Is it not convenient? Yes. But was it absolutely necessary? Yes.

Ah. I had so many left over mini USB cables.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Okay I get what your saying but let me put it in this perspective. Maybe you will agree, maybe not. The mini to micro usb was really only a cable change. This is a minor inconvenience. Similar to having a different charger for my transformer prime as it needs more juice. I can live with that. But changing the charger when so many people have invested in other accessories was a much different situation. The lightening cable is nothing more than a new fangled usb, so I would ask why they wouldn't just stick with what everyone else uses so people are not inconvenienced.

This is similar to the Flash thing. Html 5 is still not ready for prime time. It was only just recently validated by W3, yet flash was dropped. I know all the reasons why and some of the logic is sound. This is my business. But the backlash, inconvenience and added cost that occurs due to a premature change does not justify the benefit.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So it's hate for hates sake?

Apple didn't kill Flash. Apple was under no obligation to support it on mobile.

It's not hate at all. It's an unnecessary inconvenience that has cost many people time, money and also a loss of an available service that still had value. We all can agree that Flash was dying but we need to allow users to adapt to the change rather than just drop it. Flash was still very much intertwined in day to day technology. Apple had the upper hand with their product and chose to strong arm their customers. Personally this is one reason I have never truly embraced Apple. They are like a abusive school master who thinks they know everything. It's an abuse of power that is self centric and not customer centric.

Just my experience from a personal and business perspective. And I know that I am not alone in this on both sides of the argument. I've had the conversation with many people over the years.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Ah. I had so many left over mini USB cables.

Imagine how you would feel if these were $400 speaker systems or alarm clocks etc. That usb cable was nothing. In 2 years an old apple connected device will be garbage ready for the dump. Not very environmentally friendly either.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not hate at all. It's an unnecessary inconvenience that has cost many people time, money and also a loss of an available service that still had value. We all can agree that Flash was dying but we need to allow users to adapt to the change rather than just drop it. Flash was still very much intertwined in day to day technology. Apple had the upper hand with their product and chose to strong arm their customers. Personally this is one reason I have never truly embraced Apple. They are like a abusive school master who thinks they know everything. It's an abuse of power that is self centric and not customer centric.

Just my experience from a personal and business perspective. And I know that I am not alone in this on both sides of the argument. I've had the conversation with many people over the years.

Again, especially in the case of mobile, you can't drop what never existed.

Did Windows Mobile support Flash?

Did BlackBerry support Flash?

Did webOS support Flash? (Actually I don't know the answer to this one)

This is not Apple's fault.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Imagine how you would feel if these were $400 speaker systems or alarm clocks etc. That usb cable was nothing. In 2 years an old apple connected device will be garbage ready for the dump. Not very environmentally friendly either.

In 2 years, Apple will probably still be selling the 4S. It's not like these devices stop working because there's a new connector on newer devices.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Again, especially in the case of mobile, you can't drop what never existed.

Did Windows Mobile support Flash?

Did BlackBerry support Flash?

Did webOS support Flash? (Actually I don't know the answer to this one)

This is not Apple's fault.

It's a matter of choosing to include an essential service. This is why Microsoft chose to include it on the Surface tablet even 2 years later. Windows Mobile and BlackBerry were not capable of supporting Flash. There's a huge difference. I can't believe you are making this argument other than for arguments sake.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
In 2 years, Apple will probably still be selling the 4S. It's not like these devices stop working because there's a new connector on newer devices.

Lol. Okay you officially lost cred and became a fanboy. Sorry. I honestly misjudged you, but you are throwing in speculation of maintaining an old product to justify the over priced walled garden. It's sad. I thought you were smarter than that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's a matter of choosing to include an essential service. This is why Microsoft chose to include it on the Surface tablet even 2 years later. Windows Mobile and BlackBerry were not capable of supporting Flash. There's a huge difference. I can't believe you are making this argument other than for arguments sake.

I can't believe you think Apple is responsible for Flash's death on mobile.

Can you admit that the wording "Apple dropped Flash" for mobile is incorrect? It really isn't an argument for argument's sake. It's technically wrong to say that and others here can see that. That's really the only point I was trying to make with regards to Flash but you seem to want to make it something bigger.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe you think Apple is responsible for Flash's death on mobile.

I never said they were responsible for Flash's death. Did you not read what I said?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Okay you officially lost cred and became a fanboy. Sorry. I honestly misjudged you, but you are throwing in speculation of maintaining an old product to justify the over priced walled garden. It's sad. I thought you were smarter than that.

lol.

I could say the same thing about your views and speculation on Flash but I don't need to call you a fanboy to prove anything or make me feel better about myself.

Do previous products stop working because a new connector is made? Nope. That is a fact.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital