Thought this was funny and interesting.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Apples dock connector existed before microUSB and was a significantly better connector. Apple didn't choose any USB connector for a reason. 10 years after the introduction of the dock connector, and microUSB STILL can't match it's features, or lightning for that matter.
I wasn't criticizing the original. I was speaking of the lightning. Every review I have read have said it is essentially just a micro usb. But I did read that Apple was involved in the decision to make micro usb the standard so why would they not use it?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't criticizing the original. I was speaking of the lightning. Every review I have read have said it is essentially just a micro usb. But I did read that Apple was involved in the decision to make micro usb the standard so why would they not use it?

Lightning offers more features than microUSB presently does. (Namely, video out without needing mhl, audio out, and other functions you cant get with usb) It is also easily upgradable to USB 3.0, which microUSB is not. If you want USB 3.0 capable devices, you'll need, *shocker* new cables and a new device.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Lightning offers more features than microUSB presently does. (Namely, video out without needing mhl, audio out, and other functions you cant get with usb) It is also easily upgradable to USB 3.0, which microUSB is not. If you want USB 3.0 capable devices, you'll need, *shocker* new cables and a new device.
Talk about going backwards. Have you heard of bluetooth? Plugging in your phone is old school and not where anything is headed. This was not a good argument. But again if it was going in this direction one would have to ask why did apple vote for micro usb to be the new standard?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
But all the other companies aren't making unique power connectors only for their phones? Imagine if Samsung started making a samsung only connector? I'd flip my lid on them. Micro usb is the standard everyone agreed to so why didn't apple just use that standard? BlackBerry does it. Windows does it. Android does it. Oh but not apple. Nope they want everyone to use their connector. This is much different than when everyone came together and said. Okay we agree that we need thinner phones so mini ubs is out and micro is in. This my friend makes logical sense. The apple connectors don't.

Curious, did that standard only apply to data connectivity and power charging to phones? I ask because in the case of tablets, there were a good number (looking at at Samsung and Motorola) that used something other than micro USB for those purposes.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Curious, did that standard only apply to data connectivity and power charging to phones? I ask because in the case of tablets, there were a good number (looking at at Samsung and Motorola) that used something other than micro USB for those purposes.

This is true but the reason tablets use different connectors is because the have to have more voltage to charge them. Only the smaller tablets can use the micro. At least this is what I read regarding the transformer prime charge cable.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Apple still wins money though.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Are you speaking of the billion dollar settlement?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
And as for Nokia suing HTC. Screw Nokia for being a dumbass. All of these patent disputes are for the scum patent trolls. All these companies need to let it go. But Apple proved they want to continue to play the legal game when they walked out in the Motorola case. That showed their true colors.

Reading that Foss article, it makes it seem like Nokia was about to win against Apple with regards to the iOS App Store (same thing with the Google Play Store) but Apple decided to pay up and settle before the judge gave a ruling.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is true but the reason tablets use different connectors is because the have to have more voltage to charge them. Only the smaller tablets can use the micro. At least this is what I read regarding the transformer prime charge cable.

What voltage do they need?

More than 2.1A?

10W?

I wonder if micro USB has a limit.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Talk about going backwards. Have you heard of bluetooth? Plugging in your phone is old school and not where anything is headed. This was not a good argument. But again if it was going in this direction one would have to ask why did apple vote for micro usb to be the new standard?

Bluetooth offers mediocre audio quality, especially for speaker systems. It is not a replacement for a hard connection yet. (I find it interesting you didn't actually respond to the points about microUSB being an inferior standard)

They voted for microUSB because their solution is proprietary, but still compatible with a microUSB adapter. They had nothing to lose by approving of it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Lame argument. It's also why apple chose lightning. It is not limited like microUSB.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I agree here. Apple shouldn't have even been a part of the discussions to set micro USB as a standard if they weren't going to make a switch to the same micro USB connectors that everyone else uses.

That said, you bring up wireless solutions as the current and future. To me, that reads as "it doesn't really matter if the cable changes because you can do a lot wirelessly now".

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What voltage do they need?

More than 2.1A?

10W?

I wonder if micro USB has a limit.

I'm really not sure. Could have been bs. But the Nexus 7 is the first tablet I've seen using micro usb. There maybe more. But apparently larger batteries take longer to charge if the use micro.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Lame argument. It's also why apple chose lightning. It is not limited like microUSB.
I would like to clarify that I am not arguing or trying to justify anything. If micro usb can be used on a tablet then they should use it. I'm just repeating what I read.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree here. Apple shouldn't have even been a part of the discussions to set micro USB as a standard if they weren't going to make a switch to the same micro USB connectors that everyone else uses.

That said, you bring up wireless solutions as the current and future. To me, that reads as "it doesn't really matter if the cable changes because you can do a lot wirelessly now".

I think the topic went off track. My entire point regarding the cable was due to the fact that now all the pre lighting cable people who have purchased accessories can't use them with their iphone 5's. So unless they keep their old phones those items have no value. If Apple switched to micro usb on the iPhone 4 or 4s then people would have gotten much better value out of their accessories. Imagine if you had to buy a adapter for your lamps in your house. All the other lamp makers use one type of plug but one decides to not use that an make a totally different one even though they said the regular one was good. Makes no sense.

And I might add that if the lightening cable is so much better then Apple should have brought that to the table as a new standard that everyone could decide on and adapt to. If the lightening cable can charge a tablet then it would better the industry. But they chose to fragment it. Not to mention all the wasted iphone 4 cables that will be in the land fills within a year or 2.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the topic went off track.

This entire thread is off track. lol.

My entire point regarding the cable was due to the fact that now all the pre lighting cable people who have purchased accessories can't use them with their iphone 5's. So unless they keep their old phones those items have no value. If Apple switched to micro usb on the iPhone 4 or 4s then people would have gotten much better value out of their accessories. Imagine if you had to buy a adapter for your lamps in your house. All the other lamp makers use one type of plug but one decides to not use that an make a totally different one even though they said the regular one was good. Makes no sense.

If Apple switched to micro USB on the 4, accessories for the original and 3G would be obsolete.

Apple got ten years out of their 30-pin connector. That's a lot of time.

And I might add that if the lightening cable is so much better then Apple should have brought that to the table as a new standard that everyone could decide on and adapt to. If the lightening cable can charge a tablet then it would better the industry. But they chose to fragment it. Not to mention all the wasted iphone 4 cables that will be in the land fills within a year or 2.

The Apple 30-pin worked with their iPads through the third generation iPad.

And with regards to waste, this is no different than when Samsung had many different cables, Motorola had their proprietary cables and dabbled with mini USB for a time, LG had multiple as well.

They're all obsolete now.

I used to work in the mobile space, games and apps, long before smartphones exploded. Every year, we were recycling obsolete cables by the waste bin.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
This entire thread is off track. lol.

If Apple switched to micro USB on the 4, accessories for the original and 3G would be obsolete.

Apple got ten years out of their 30-pin connector. That's a lot of time.

The Apple 30-pin worked with their iPads through the third generation iPad.

And with regards to waste, this is no different than when Samsung had many different cables, Motorola had their proprietary cables and dabbled with mini USB for a time, LG had multiple as well.

They're all obsolete now.

I used to work in the mobile space, games and apps, long before smartphones exploded. Every year, we were recycling obsolete cables by the waste bin.

Ya this thread is off track. Slendertroll and I were having a great time until you guys showed up. Lol. Jk.

Okay my point is exactly what you are pointing out. Everyone has had the cable problem. That is why they tried to make a standardized connector. The 3GS accessories would have been obsolete but there were not nearly as many accessories until after the ip4. If Apple followed the standard then everyone would be in a harmonious situation. I am willing to give them the 30 pin regardless. It was a good connector. I have my problem with the lightening cable and how it is perpetuating waste. I don't think HTC is even shipping a cable with their phones now as they know everyone has one already. It cuts cost and tech waste.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth offers mediocre audio quality, especially for speaker systems. It is not a replacement for a hard connection yet. (I find it interesting you didn't actually respond to the points about microUSB being an inferior standard)

They voted for microUSB because their solution is proprietary, but still compatible with a microUSB adapter. They had nothing to lose by approving of it.
Bluetooth works fine for regular use. You can still plug in a headphone aux if you want to go plugged in. I spent some time buying some portable speakers as gifts this week and everyone in best buy was talking about bluetooth support. That's what people want.

I did make a comment about the inferior micro usb (which I have not confirmed) in reference to on of Ry's comments. I said if it is offering something better over micro usb then Apple should have brought that to the table as a new standard so everyone could vote to maintain the standard. This only continues to prove that they don't have their customers best interests at heart. Instead they only play with themselves. They are the selfish spoiled kid on the playground.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463