Thought this was funny and interesting.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Reading all of that situation, it's not hard to see the guy was a scam artist trying to promote his own kick starter clone instead of actually trying to build what he said. There should be zero doubt that he never approached apple or Mfi about it.
I'm not sure he was a scam artist. They obviously were creating a product that was trying to facilitate all types of connectors. Apple denied them due to this situation. I think ti was news worthy considering that Apple has now decided to not be so tight about the rules.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure he was a scam artist. They obviously were creating a product that was trying to facilitate all types of connectors. Apple denied them due to this situation. I think ti was news worthy considering that Apple has now decided to not be so tight about the rules.

Read the entire story again. The guy is a scam artist that was trying to get some press for his kick starter competitor.

Also, apple wasn't 'deciding not to be so tight about the rules'. There were actual technical issues with combining the 30 pin and lightning. Namely, lightning can draw significantly more power than the 30 pin, which can create issues if you have multiple lightning or 30 pin devices plugged in all at the same time. Then there's also the questions the guy has failed to answer, like why he didn't just make it a USB device with ports instead of having cables built in.

The guy had no intention of ever building this. He was using the press to promote his rival product.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I believe you. I found only this article. It was posted a ton too. But he could totally be scum.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Boxing Day Apple deals: iPhone 5 from $0, deals on iPads, MacBooks & iPods, $7 albums on iTunes | 9to5Mac

This is very interesting. Looks like price is becoming an issue for Apple. I have never seen them go down to $0 on a new contract before on a new device. In Canada they get lower and you could get any Android phone for free but Apple is always around $79-$150 on a new 3 year contract.

I think it has more to do with retailers being more aggressive. Apple still makes the same amount of money either way, so best buy is the one that'll eat the costs.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think it has more to do with retailers being more aggressive. Apple still makes the same amount of money either way, so best buy is the one that'll eat the costs.
That is where u are wrong. You think Best buy is eating $150 on the iphone on top of what they normally pay? That's not the way it works. They may choose to drop the price $50 here or there but there isn't $150 to eat.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That is where u are wrong. You think Best buy is eating $150 on the iphone on top of what they normally pay? That's not the way it works. They may choose to drop the price $50 here or there but there isn't $150 to eat.

Absolutely they are, either through a deal with the carrier or on their own. Apple does not have any part of that discount. (Best buy might ask if its okay, but they may not have to) Once apple sells that product to best buy, or in this case the company best buy works with for mobile device fulfillment, they have their money and they're out of the equation.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely they are, either through a deal with the carrier or on their own. Apple does not have any part of that discount. (Best buy might ask if its okay, but they may not have to) Once apple sells that product to best buy, or in this case the company best buy works with for mobile device fulfillment, they have their money and they're out of the equation.
And you know this because? I worked in large retail for years and almost always the supplier is connected to the discount based on volume. Especially on this large of a discount.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Btw. Merry Christmas JHBThree. I have enjoyed the spirited discussion this past year. :thumbup::beer:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And you know this because? I worked in large retail for years and almost always the supplier is connected to the discount based on volume. Especially on this large of a discount.

In this case apple isn't the direct supplier though. Best buys mobile supplier would be.

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I hate to interrupt the apple hating circle jerk, but before the iPhone concept came along, our beloved Android was a homely Blackberry-like keyboard based OS.

I've never owned an iPhone, nor do I want to, but I give credit where its due. If Eric Schmidt hadn't been sitting on Apples board of directors taking notes 5 years ago, this forum we're on wouldn't be here because we'd have nothing to talk about.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I hate to interrupt the apple hating circle jerk, but before the iPhone concept came along, our beloved Android was a homely Blackberry-like keyboard based OS.

I've never owned an iPhone, nor do I want to, but I give credit where its due. If Eric Schmidt hadn't been sitting on Apples board of directors taking notes 5 years ago, this forum we're on wouldn't be here because we'd have nothing to talk about.
Yeah, so?

Creations usually end up killing their creators in movies, so why not here? :p It's the same thing, kind of.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Don't go down that path unless you have read this entire thread first.

There are many things that Apple followed as well. Technology is not a closed all encompassing thing that stems from one source so why do people feel that Apple owns the concept of a smart phone? You could say that Apple owes Palm, BlackBerry or Motorola for pushing PDA's and cell phones to where they were before they entered the game. It's no different. Everyone appreciates what Apple has done. That is not the purpose of this thread. The purpose is to bring about a real understanding of the very thing you are stating. Apple didn't invent anything. They learned from others and advanced things just like Android has.