Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By The Hustleman
  • 1 Post By RigelX
  • 1 Post By phonejunky
  • 1 Post By smooth4lyfe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Android Now is becoming iOS

    Remember when android first got really popular?

    We used to tout several advantages over the iphone, ALL ANDROID PHONES had


    1. upgradeable storage
    2. Replaceable batteries
    3. Adobe Flash
    4. customization (you don't like it? CHANGE IT, want something different? GET IT!)


    All 4 of those advantages were available on EVERY android phone (on froyo or higher) and all was well.



    Now android is seemingly attempting to nullify their advantages over the iphone.

    1. Plenty of phones are wrongfully coming WITHOUT an SD card slot (nexus S, Galaxy nexus, nexus 4, one X, One X + - you would think they wouldn't have went BACKWARDS after the EVO LTE, Droid DNA) and the worst part about it is a lot of these phones only have 16 GB.

    2. There are several phones coming with non-replaceable batteries, which means if you get a unit and the battery happens to die off shortly after that 14 day return period (here's to you HTC!) - it means you're stuck with **** poor battery life always tethered to a charger OR you have to send the phone to a repair center to have the battery replaced. Nexus 4, Droid DNA, Droid Razr, Razr HD, Optimus G, Razr Maxx, Maxx HD, Droid Razr M. With other phones with removable batteries, all you have to do is replace it. Battery dies and you don't have the time to stand by an outlet? just pop in another fully charged battery and keep it moving. With a non-removable battery, phone dies? you have to use a battery bank, tether yourself to a charger, or use an overpriced bulky charging case to keep it from dying in the first place. OEM's aren't thinking of the consumer, they're thinking of themselves.

    3. This one isn't android's fault, it's adobe's but hopefully the workarounds will get better and better.

    4. Hopefully this advantage doesn't go the way of the dodo like the rest because Android is becoming more and more like apple and it's very saddening. Apple is about a year behind android now and I don't see them catching up, but if android keeps going backwards...
    Thanked by 2:
    phonejunky likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Totally agree on 1, 2, & 3! (Hehe, I made a rhyme. )

    I'm sure there is some marketing reason or whatever behind these trends, but those are three main things I loved about Android. I'd love to know why this is happening. Not saying I'll call it sensible, but would love to know none the less.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Totally agree on 1, 2, & 3! (Hehe, I made a rhyme. )

    I'm sure there is some marketing reason or whatever behind these trends, but those are three main things I loved about Android. I'd love to know why this is happening. Not saying I'll call it sensible, but would love to know none the less.
    I'd love to hear a good reason too and "it looks good" isn't a good reason to remove functionality.

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    The Flash problem is Adobes fault. It's gone from being supported on iphones/android to not and back and forth and back. Adobe can't make up its mind whether or not to support it or not. In the end it will die and html 5 will replace it and it will be a non issue with either iOS or android.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  

    Default

    I agree with some of this.

    1. The shift towards non-removable storage is more than just a move towards cloud storage. Its easy for sudo-power users such as ourselves to be able to manage our storage, but I've met many average users that easily get confused over having both internal and external storage. Also, EMMC has quicker access times.

    2. Having non-removable batteries can allow a larger battery getting packed into the phone for cheaper, at the expense of not being able to switch out during the day. Luckily, there are many different types of phones on the market so you have a choice. I thought I would miss removable batteries when I switched from a Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 4, but I've had such good battery life that it hasn't been an issue.

    3. Agree. This is Adobe's problem. Google could perhaps throw their weight behind it to get things rolling but it wouldn't be worth it. Google is supporting the HTML5 standard, and I completely agree with their stance.

    4. I still feel that Android is by far the easiest to customize, even without rooting and voiding warranties. Hopefully this remains the case, but I don't see that changing any time soon.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Motorola DROID A855 (Retired) / Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 (Sold) / LGE Nexus 4 E960 / LGE Nexus 5 D820 / Samsung Nexus 10
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by rootedVette View Post
    I agree with some of this.

    1. The shift towards non-removable storage is more than just a move towards cloud storage. Its easy for sudo-power users such as ourselves to be able to manage our storage, but I've met many average users that easily get confused over having both internal and external storage. Also, EMMC has quicker access times.

    2. Having non-removable batteries can allow a larger battery getting packed into the phone for cheaper, at the expense of not being able to switch out during the day. Luckily, there are many different types of phones on the market so you have a choice. I thought I would miss removable batteries when I switched from a Galaxy Nexus to the Nexus 4, but I've had such good battery life that it hasn't been an issue.

    3. Agree. This is Adobe's problem. Google could perhaps throw their weight behind it to get things rolling but it wouldn't be worth it. Google is supporting the HTML5 standard, and I completely agree with their stance.

    4. I still feel that Android is by far the easiest to customize, even without rooting and voiding warranties. Hopefully this remains the case, but I don't see that changing any time soon.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    What's confusing about the options "internal storage" or "sd card"

    I'm not saying get rid of internal storage (actually it should be increased) my whole point is don't get rid of that option.

    When my old phone died, only way I was able to retrieve all of my data was by removing the memory card because the phone was destroyed.

    If that phone only had internal data it would have all been lost.

    Non removable batteries would be ok if android makers wised up and put nothing less than a maxx battery in their phones. Wish Google would put their foot down on that issue.

    Also what if your battery goes out? You'd have to ship your entire phone back just for that one issue when you should be able to simply offer a replacement battery.

    Then power users are stuck when the phone dies in the middle of the day and they can't stand around tethered to a charger.

    How good is your nexus 4 battery life? I'm interested in that because I keep hearing the battery life is bad.

    It's like more you have to deal with a wack phone or have bad battery life.

    Options are disappearing.

    Luckily Samsung is still doing right by customers. If they would include maxx batteries, would be the perfect phone


    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by rootedVette View Post
    1. The shift towards non-removable storage is more than just a move towards cloud storage.
    Ugh, you mean that is an actual reason of any meaningful significance? Just one more thing to help us blow through data caps, so we're made to need higher bandwidth plans that keep going up in price. :banghead:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    Ugh, you mean that is an actual reason of any meaningful significance? Just one more thing to help us blow through data caps, so we're made to need higher bandwidth plans that keep going up in price. :banghead:
    You are mistaking "non removable storage," with "small storage space."

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Motorola DROID A855 (Retired) / Samsung Fascinate SCH-I500 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Nexus SCH-I515 (Sold) / Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-I717 (Sold) / LGE Nexus 4 E960 / LGE Nexus 5 D820 / Samsung Nexus 10
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rootedVette View Post
    You are mistaking "non removable storage," with "small storage space."

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    I don't care if the phone has a terabyte of internal storage, I will always want a removable storage option. Not just for the additional space, but for hot swapping files to other devices without burning up my data plan or waiting until I have decent wifi access to upload to some place online. I like having that flexibility.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Admittedly, the replaceable battery & upgradable storage were the main reasons I chose android for my first smart phone, and I have never regretted that decision, but I have never felt the need to use either one. Storage hasn't been an issue and I seem to have gotten a battery that was blessed by the Pope. I am due for an upgrade and my area just got LTE. I will get another android phone, but, for now, I'm not too worried about those features. Time will tell.

    Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk.
    Ry likes this.
  11. #11  
    SenseMonkey's Avatar

    Posts
    1,786 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,797 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by rootedVette View Post
    You are mistaking "non removable storage," with "small storage space."

    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Who needs removable storage space when you got a whopping 64Gb of internal space. :thumbup: E.G. HTC ONE X+. Battery isn't a problem either, 2100 baked in battery is more then enough. I can get a day's use if I'd like. I also have a battery bank. 12000mAh. More the enough battery.

    From my ONE X+ :-D
  12. #12  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Remember when android first got really popular?

    We used to tout several advantages over the iphone, ALL ANDROID PHONES had


    1. upgradeable storage
    2. Replaceable batteries
    3. Adobe Flash
    4. customization (you don't like it? CHANGE IT, want something different? GET IT!)


    All 4 of those advantages were available on EVERY android phone (on froyo or higher) and all was well.



    Now android is seemingly attempting to nullify their advantages over the iphone.

    1. Plenty of phones are wrongfully coming WITHOUT an SD card slot (nexus S, Galaxy nexus, nexus 4, one X, One X + - you would think they wouldn't have went BACKWARDS after the EVO LTE, Droid DNA) and the worst part about it is a lot of these phones only have 16 GB.

    2. There are several phones coming with non-replaceable batteries, which means if you get a unit and the battery happens to die off shortly after that 14 day return period (here's to you HTC!) - it means you're stuck with **** poor battery life always tethered to a charger OR you have to send the phone to a repair center to have the battery replaced. Nexus 4, Droid DNA, Droid Razr, Razr HD, Optimus G, Razr Maxx, Maxx HD, Droid Razr M. With other phones with removable batteries, all you have to do is replace it. Battery dies and you don't have the time to stand by an outlet? just pop in another fully charged battery and keep it moving. With a non-removable battery, phone dies? you have to use a battery bank, tether yourself to a charger, or use an overpriced bulky charging case to keep it from dying in the first place. OEM's aren't thinking of the consumer, they're thinking of themselves.

    3. This one isn't android's fault, it's adobe's but hopefully the workarounds will get better and better.

    4. Hopefully this advantage doesn't go the way of the dodo like the rest because Android is becoming more and more like apple and it's very saddening. Apple is about a year behind android now and I don't see them catching up, but if android keeps going backwards...
    1. They needed external memory because those phones usually had 512MB for apps and data.

    2. Did all Android phones ship with extra batteries too?

    3. This is not Android's fault.

    4. Things like launchers and widgets are all still readily available.


    But here's the thing about Android and it's open source nature. Any of these OEMs can do whatever the hell they want. You've pointed out that it's no longer "all" Android for these points you've made. And that's the beauty of Android.

    You don't have to buy a phone that doesn't have expandable memory. You still have options.

    You don't have to buy a phone that only has 16GB of internal memory. You still have options.

    Options. Choice. There is no one perfect phone.

    Someone start a petition.


    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  13. #13  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    Who needs removable storage space when you got a whopping 64Gb of internal space. :thumbup: E.G. HTC ONE X+. Battery isn't a problem either, 2100 baked in battery is more then enough. I can get a day's use if I'd like. I also have a battery bank. 12000mAh. More the enough battery.

    From my ONE X+ :-D
    128GB should be the bare minimum. lol.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    1. They needed external memory because those phones usually had 512MB for apps and data.

    2. Did all Android phones ship with extra batteries too?

    3. This is not Android's fault.

    4. Things like launchers and widgets are all still readily available.


    But here's the thing about Android and it's open source nature. Any of these OEMs can do whatever the hell they want. You've pointed out that it's no longer "all" Android for these points you've made. And that's the beauty of Android.

    You don't have to buy a phone that doesn't have expandable memory. You still have options.

    You don't have to buy a phone that only has 16GB of internal memory. You still have options.

    Options. Choice. There is no one perfect phone.

    Someone start a petition.


    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    1. True and it's still needed.
    2. No, I don't know of any phone that shipped with a spare battery but the option was always there. Should always be there. Especially when lithium batteries lose some of their charge capacity over time.
    3. I already said that. Everyone is being redundant on this
    4. Yeah now they are. Hopefully they continue to be.

    And there aren't options for all, samsung is still the only major oem still doing right by customers. And even then you can't get a screen like the Droid DNA.

    And if you get the dna you give up extended storage and removable battery and the extra features samsung included.

    I really wish OEMs would get it right.

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    I've been telling my friends this. Android is quickly turning into the iPhone, just a different name. But the faithful will still yell customization. I agree, but I did say quickly turning into one not completely.

    Sent from the smartphone of my choice using Tapatalk 2
    Great art stretches the taste, it doesnt follow tastes
    Steve Jobs to Bill Atkinson, March 1981.
    The Hustleman likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    It's not Android its Google... I really dislike that direction they are going... It forces people to buy their phones the way it comes with and no upgrade potential unless they release another one to buy... I really wish the Nexus has a MicroSD... That's more important to me than a replaceable battery because I can always find apps to increase battery time

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    - Using the Sony Xperia Z3! -
    phonejunky likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    1. True and it's still needed.
    2. No, I don't know of any phone that shipped with a spare battery but the option was always there. Should always be there. Especially when lithium batteries lose some of their charge capacity over time.
    3. I already said that. Everyone is being redundant on this
    4. Yeah now they are. Hopefully they continue to be.

    And there aren't options for all, samsung is still the only major oem still doing right by customers. And even then you can't get a screen like the Droid DNA.

    And if you get the dna you give up extended storage and removable battery and the extra features samsung included.

    I really wish OEMs would get it right.

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    What do you mean by doing right by their customers? Am I some how getting screwed by LG/Google not giving me options I didn't want in the first place?


    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by emcdannell View Post
    What do you mean by doing right by their customers? Am I some how getting screwed by LG/Google not giving me options I didn't want in the first place?


    Sent from my Nexus 4
    Well if YOU don't want the ability to change your battery or add storage to your phone, that's fine but many people would rather have it than not

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    It's probably cheaper to make the Android phones similar to how apple makes the iPhone without removable storage and non removable batteries. The manufacturers that make android phones are probably saying we're spending extra Money to make our phones better but look how many people still buy iPhones even without removable storage and batteries that can't be removed. They save Money and it still won't decrease phone sales because no matter what they do, we're still gonna buy em. As well as Adobe flash, ppl still buy iPhones and they've never supported flash as far as I know. I don't think Steve Jobs ever wanted flash on iPhone because if ppl could download or stream content on the Internet then the iTunes store profit would take a major hit. I guess Android phone manufacturers and Google are basically saying "If you can't beat em, join em". The Samsung GS3 I believe is the only phone to beat out the iPhone in sales and 1 phone is probably not enough for them to be convinced that they need to keep trying to be better than the Apple iPhone because a large majority of people are purchasing iPhones even without the extra features that Android phone makers are trying to add to theirs. I bet they're saying "we're not gonna kill ourselves anymore and spend extra Money". Some of the phones are even starting to feel cheaper too. Let's just hope Android sticks to their original script of being more customizable and giving us options to choose from. I hope Google does NOT move towards Apple's way of thinking or we'll all be in trouble

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  20. #20  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Well if YOU don't want the ability to change your battery or add storage to your phone, that's fine but many people would rather have it than not

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    And again, if you don't like like what one phone has (or doesn't have), in Android there are still options.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  21. #21  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    Let's just hope Android sticks to their original script of being more customizable and giving us options to choose from. I hope Google does NOT move towards Apple's way of thinking or we'll all be in trouble

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
    Android OEMs still stick to that script.

    And if Google was thinking like Apple, 90% of the currently active phones and tablets would be running Android 4.2.1 right now.



    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    blaze5 
  22. #22  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by smooth4lyfe View Post
    It's not Android its Google... I really dislike that direction they are going... It forces people to buy their phones the way it comes with and no upgrade potential unless they release another one to buy... I really wish the Nexus has a MicroSD... That's more important to me than a replaceable battery because I can always find apps to increase battery time

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    That's only Google's fault if you think Android being an open source project is a bad thing.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Even though 64 GB is a lot, apps are also starting to get bigger. Avenger's Initiative is 2 GB. Bard's Tale is 1.7 GB.
    Google wants you on their cloud so you pay them $$$ which is why their Nexus devices won't have any sd card slots, but like many people I'd rather have at least a local copy of pictures, videos, music, and other stuff I bought so external storage is high on my list of must haves for the next Android device I get.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Android OEMs still stick to that script.

    And if Google was thinking like Apple, 90% of the currently active phones and tablets would be running Android 4.2.1 right now.



    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    You're right... I should've said "continues to stick to the script".

    My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
  25. #25  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: Android Now is becoming iOS

    Android is software. Removable battery, expandable storage are hardware options.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM
  2. Basic4android v1.50 - Android programming is now easy!
    By Erel in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 09:40 AM
  3. Now my android system is using 54% of battery...yikes!
    By hawaiijedi in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
  4. My Dream Android Phone- Is it coming anytime soon?
    By ilovehtcsense in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
  5. FASTEST Android phone is...?
    By ali.fazal in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2009, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions