Would like some suggestions on a new wireless router for my house.

MotoDroidx17

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up a Droid X and started using my WiFi for the first time in a long while. I also bought a Samsung LCD TV as well and figured I may as well start to use some of the features that these devices allow.

Right now i am using a Linksys WRT54G series router (I think I have had this unit for about 6+ years). Don't have any complaints with the unit I have, but would like to be able to transfer photos and movies to the TV.

Would like to keep the cost at <$200.
Any suggestions and explanations would be helpful thank you.

fyi: right now I am running on a Mac OS X 10.6.4, my wife uses a PC notebook for work, and then the other devices named above.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a Linksys WRT610N that's treated me well, it's got some "media" functions but I hardwire everything I can so I have no idea what that means to them. Is there anything your current router doesn't do that it needs so? Does the Samsung need to support any special protocols?

For displaying movies and pictures on the Samsung, you can connect the HDMI cable to the X and it should work just fine without a network. Depending on whether the Samsung supports it you can also try to play with the DLNA settings on your X and see if you can get them to work properly. DLNA servers are also sometimes called uPNP media servers. I haven't had much luck with the X's DLNA app as a client, but it does seem to be geared towards displaying stuff stored on the phone as opposed to streaming from another server.

MotoDroidx17

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply jdbower,

I am trying to do everything wireless since hardwiring is going to be a lot of work. Even the TV is built into the cabinet flush, so really none of the connections are that accessible. (there is a false door underneath the TV, but in a perfect world I would not like to have to hook up the X by a cable)

Right now the router serves its purpose (which is very basic), but I wasn't sure if I was needing to go to a dual band to be able to transfer photos and movies efficiently (again not wanting to hardwire)
The Samsung does have DLNA, but I have not played around with it at all. Not sure about special protocols, but I don't believe so from what I read.

This all is mostly new to me but would really like to get the right pieces of the puzzle before I move any farther.

Thanks again

G

GenericMessage

The n600 WNDR3400 -N600 Wireless Dual Band Router is what I use.

The advantage is mostly the dual band system.
See, with non dual band routers that are N, if you connect with a G device and a N device, it'll kick down to G, and not fully utilize the N!

Plus the range on this thing is NUTS!

Plus is far below the $200 mark

MotoDroidx17

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions. I have looked for the WNDR3400 but can't find that specific model anywhere.
I assume this WNDR3700 Model is the newer version of the WNDR3400? Seems to have very good reviews across the board as well. (If this is the incorrect assumption let me know)
Thanks for the guidance.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The netgear site shows that model I guess its still avail. ;)

WNDR3400 -N600 Wireless Dual Band Router

Have you checkout the tabs from where it says "find other retail stores ", unless you changed your mind and just want the WNDR3700 model ,I have a netgear but not those models too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke