Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    3,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Default natual gas usage from december OH MY!!! your thoughts?

So I just got my bill for december's (12/5 to 1/7) gas use 25.4 Mcf ($220). I totally flipped I knew it would be high because the attic wasn't adequately insulated (had R13). Earliest we could have someone bring that up to an R50 was the first week of january. So future bills will be lower. Knowing that will account for 20% we figured the bill would be for about 15 Mcf since typically winter months around here properly insulated houses of the same size use 10-12 Mcf. For november (10/31 to 12/4) gas use was 3.8 Mcf ($37). So using the gas meter and the specifications of the gas appliances (dryer, water heater, and furnace), I set out to figure out why it was so high. I isolated each appliance to use the gas meter to gauge the gas usage. I game up with the following using a stop watch:

water heater pilot: 306 cu ft per month (based on 1/10th of a cu ft used in 214.62 seconds (about 2.5 minutes)
    water heater heating water: 1328.5 cu ft per month (based on 1cuft used in 113.69 seconds (just under 2 minutes)

based on water water heater energy usage sticker it uses and estimated 2,116 cu ft per month (based on the 254 therms from the sticker)

Dryer: 23.6 cu ft per hour (based on 1/2 cu ft in 76.15 seconds) or 22 cu ft per hour (based on 22,000 BTU input specification).

furnace: Consumes about 1 cu ft per minute I'm almost certain it only came on at most 4 times per hour for 5 minutes each time for a total of 13,609 cu ft per month. I figure worse case scenario 6 times per hour for 5 minutes would be 20,413 cu ft per month. Either way things don't appear to add up when you consider the dryer. For the worse case scenario of the furnace that means the dryer was running 4 hours ever single day of the the billing period and I definitely know that isn't even close since we only do laundry 3 times a week and at most 2 loads each time. Which would have been at most about 30 hours of dryer use. Even if I assume they misread the meter at the end of november's period; november was pretty warm so there would have been almost no heating done at all; I still can't account for the total amount of gas used for the full 68 days of both billing periods.

Default Re: natual gas usage from december OH MY!!! your thoughts?

I'm just a dumb, dumb, dummy and don't really know anything. But two things I wanted to mention, compare the actual cost of the gas between the two months. You don't pay a set price month to month per unit consumed. And as far as how much you consumed, it could have been read wrong, but often times gas and electric companies will guesstimate your reading. They may have guesstimated wrong on the previous bill and caught up the shortfall
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    3,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

True the price rates could vary but not by an extreme. I'm hoping someone might think things through like I did and see something I may have miscalculated or something. As I said even if I consider they misread the meter at the end of the november period and it was actually more usage I know they read the meter correctly at the end of the december period as I personally verified the meter reading. But I still can't within a reasonable doubt get the usage calculations based on observed usage of the gas appliances to line up with the amount used for the total of both billing cycles combined. I know there is no gas leak inside the home. I have three in home safety devices to detect that sort of thing. One of which in the basement is within 5 feet of the furnace and water heater and about 10 or so feet from the dryer. The other two one on each end of the main floor of our single story home. I don't know how likely there is to be a gas leak outside of have a faulty meter. As they are two things I had thought could explain the significant discrepancy.

This is the exact reason why I can see my breath at home (lol) and chose not to turn on the heat. Atleast it feels like I've got a furnace in the room after about an hour of laying under 3 comforters and 1 sheet!

Now if I could only find a way to pull this off in the summer months (impossible) I'd be all set.

Our gas invoice during Dec became an terrible $194/-. This despite we were out of city for 4 days, left the heating unit off, but not the hot water heating unit.
    Lucky You... I have an Power Heater and after the Dec invoice split my financial institution.

supported living Australia
    Fairways Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    Aged Care Community on the Gold Coast, QLD | Supported Living Homes in Australia | Fairways
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    3,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10

Our furnace failed on the coldest day during the coldest week on the season. It's possible that due to it's on the verge of failure accounted for some of what I couldn't account for. When we get our next heat bill we will have a better idea. I took a meter read when the new furnace was installed to get a daily average comparison.