Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By diabloking
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Experience with first Android

Just picked up a Galaxy Note II today. I was really looking forward to this, as I thought I would enjoy Android. Here are my thoughts so far. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

1. It is absolutely absurd that Android, a Google product, ships with a default mail app that does not support GMail, another Google product. I know I can use the GMail app, but seriously.
    2. The screen is great. I love the size.
    3. The maps and navigation are really amazing.
    4. Having the front screen taken up almost entirely by a weather prediction (for the wrong city, despite allowing it to locate me) is hideous design.
    5. Seriously, why can I not doodle a picture over text with the S-Pen without getting a third-party texting app? Note that this is the second (email being the first) major native function I've had to replace.
    6. The worst sin on this list: Visual voicemail should not require an additional subscription. It's not 2005. You're competing with the iPhone. Suck it up and give that service for free. There's no excuse for this one at all. Yes I know I can use Google Voice, but that's a kludge and replaces yet another major native function with an outsourced version.
    7. Google Voice isn't putting up a notice on the app icon when I have voicemail waiting. Fantastic. And it's not hooking into texts properly. Double awesome.
    8. Turning the phone sideways to type a text covers all previous texts. Come on - that's lazy design.
    9. Not being able to delete a TON of pre-installed garbage is greedy, lazy, or both.
    10. The Google Play store is laid out like it was designed by a team of 50 artists who had no shared vision or communication. You can't find anything your account has done in the past (such as a download history) and if you were to remove the search function, I doubt I'd ever find a single app I was looking for.

If some of these issues are my inexperience showing itself, I'd be happy to hear it and I'd love to get a fix. Otherwise, I cannot understand why anyone would want to use this? Being able to tinker is fine, but being FORCED to tinker because the stock software is badly-designed is certainly not ideal.
    Last edited by Craig Hensel; 02-26-2013 at 02:03 AM.

Default Re: Experience with first Android

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Hensel View Post
    Just picked up a Galaxy Note II today. I was really looking forward to this, as I thought I would enjoy Android. Here are my thoughts so far. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

1. It is absolutely absurd that Android, a Google product, ships with a default mail app that does not support GMail, another Google product. I know I can use the GMail app, but seriously.
    2. The screen is great. I love the size.
    3. The maps and navigation are really amazing.
    4. Having the front screen taken up almost entirely by a weather prediction (for the wrong city, despite allowing it to locate me) is hideous design.
    5. Seriously, why can I not doodle a picture over text with the S-Pen without getting a third-party texting app? Note that this is the second (email being the first) major native function I've had to replace.
    6. The worst sin on this list: Visual voicemail should not require an additional subscription. It's not 2005. You're competing with the iPhone. Suck it up and give that service for free. There's no excuse for this one at all. Yes I know I can use Google Voice, but that's a kludge and replaces yet another major native function with an outsourced version.
    7. Google Voice isn't putting up a notice on the app icon when I have voicemail waiting. Fantastic. And it's not hooking into texts properly. Double awesome.
    8. Turning the phone sideways to type a text covers all previous texts. Come on - that's lazy design.
    9. Not being able to delete a TON of pre-installed garbage is greedy, lazy, or both.
    10. The Google Play store is laid out like it was designed by a team of 50 artists who had no shared vision or communication. You can't find anything your account has done in the past (such as a download history) and if you were to remove the search function, I doubt I'd ever find a single app I was looking for.

If some of these issues are my inexperience showing itself, I'd be happy to hear it and I'd love to get a fix. Otherwise, I cannot understand why anyone would want to use this? Being able to tinker is fine, but being FORCED to tinker because the stock software is badly-designed is certainly not ideal.
    First off welcome to the Android community! Hopefully you'll enjoy your Note 2 once you get a little familiar with Android.

1. Technically the default email app would be considered the Gmail app since it is a android phone but that's just my opinion.
    4. I kinda have to agree on this one, coming from a Nexus and having a very minimalistic screen was nice and TW is very cluttered..
    6. Not necessarily Google's problem more of your carrier trying to rob you for this service. Not quite sure why iPhone users get it free. :\
    9. I'm guessing your referring to the bloatware the carriers install, they are annoying but there are ways to get rid of them but that requires tinkering(rooting of the device.)
    10. There is history in the Play store. You have to hit your menu key then my apps, once in my apps swipe from right to left.
    westiewanderer likes this.