Three cheers for Jason Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
How is he forcing it on the rest of us? All he is wanting is to be treated as an equal. No more hiding who he is. How does someone being gay make you feel like he's forcing it on you? That's a joke. Please give me examples of how gays negatively effect your life.

If people didnt judge them differently then it wouldn't be a big deal. Unfortunately its people exactly like yourself which make it a big deal.

Hes not asking you to watch videos with his bf. Hes just wanting to not be judged or have to hide when he does go out in public with another man or want to date another man. If he didnt come out and say it the media would have made it 10x worse anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

He is making it an issue, if he hasn't decided to announce it to the world I certainly wouldn't have known. By telling us about his sexual preference he IS seeking the approval of the American public, and the rest of the world. Well sorry he can do what he wants in the bedroom and keep it there between him and whomever he chooses as a partner.

He is not getting my approval...

Honestly as far as I am concerned that's really all of your post that warrants a response.

trix

May 3, 2013
Visit site
He is making it an issue, if he hasn't decided to announce it to the world I certainly wouldn't have known. By telling us about his sexual preference he IS seeking the approval of the American public, and the rest of the world. Well sorry he can do what he wants in the bedroom and keep it there between him and whomever he chooses as a partner.

He is not getting my approval...

Honestly as far as I am concerned that's really all of your post that warrants a response.

Thats the thing. Why should he be forced to keep it in the bedroom. What if he wanted to date another man? If he was to go in public and hold hands with this guy the media would have made it an even larger deal than him coming out beforehand.

Its people like you that make it a big deal. If no one cared and were judgmental they wouldn't have to hide it or anything and it wouldnt make news. Its sad people obviously discriminate against them and expect them to hide something like their sexual orientation.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also hate when people feel the need to "come out", and have heard of quite a few gays that also share this opinion. As long as its consenting adults and not breaking public indecency laws, I don't care and it's not my place to judge what goes on in other people's bedrooms or who they're with in public. The general sentiment I've got from the gays I've known (not claiming it's the cultural norm, just common in my personal interactions) is they feel people making a spectacle out of being gay sets the movement back just because it gives that impression that everyone else should be forced to take notice and acknowledge it as something more special than any other relationship. Sorry chap, but it's not. Every healthy relationship is special in its own unique way and no better or worse than another. If gays weren't so in your face about it, most people wouldn't care. (the religious right isn't likely to be convinced anyway, so that wouldn't change no matter how gays acted I think) Most don't want the limelight and want to live as any traditional couple.

So what if this guy is gay. Let him date his boyfriend and go out as a regular couple without all this fanfare. When the media wants to latch on, they should just be like "what's the big deal?" Letting the media get to you only fuels the fire longer.

As for the President calling him about this, I'm speechless and not in a good way.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I think that it just bothers most of us because we are sick to death of having the gay agenda shoved down our throats. I remember when brokeback mountain was being touted by hollywood winning all kinds of awards, but noone saw it. I find it very hypocritical of most people that hate christianity because they feel they are being pushed to believe something yet turn around and do the same.

Me personally, I honestly don't care what anyone does in their own home. Just don't tell me I have to accept homosexuality and have to tell my children its OK. Its not. Most animals won't even do it. And as fas as him being a hero, please... I love women, how does that make me a hero?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think that it just bothers most of us because we are sick to death of having the gay agenda shoved down our throats. I remember when brokeback mountain was being touted by hollywood winning all kinds of awards, but noone saw it. I find it very hypocritical of most people that hate christianity because they feel they are being pushed to believe something yet turn around and do the same.

Me personally, I honestly don't care what anyone does in their own home. Just don't tell me I have to accept homosexuality and have to tell my children its OK. Its not. Most animals won't even do it. And as fas as him being a hero, please... I love women, how does that make me a hero?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't think the word hero was used. I wonder if the thread would have gone another way if I had just said some iteration of 'support' rather than 'courage.' Interesting that you brought up Brokeback Mountain. It was after that movie that I changed my mind on the issue of gay marriage.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the word hero was used. I wonder if the thread would have gone another way if I had just said some iteration of 'support' rather than 'courage.' Interesting that you brought up Brokeback Mountain. It was after that movie that I changed my mind on the issue of gay marriage.

Excuse me, I love women, how does that make me courageous?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Excuse me, I love women, how does that make me courageous?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It's not the love per se, but rather being honest about it with your friends, family and community when you potentially face scorn, ridicule, danger, or other serious repercussions. A simple example is your family my not approve of a woman who you love and wish to marry and you might be disinherited or disowned by your family should you pursue that love.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It's not the love per se, but rather being honest about it with your friends, family and community when you potentially face scorn, ridicule, danger, or other serious repercussions. A simple example is your family my not approve of a woman who you love and wish to marry and you might be disinherited or disowned by your family should you pursue that love.

I personally don't call that courageous, I call it life. IMHO, everyone has became so uber narcissistic that they think its all about them. They think they are the only ones with adversity. Look at me, its all about me, me me me. Feel sorry for me. Yuck. Lol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

trix

May 3, 2013
Visit site
How in the blue f does me not accepting someone being gay have to do with them hiding in their house? Did I say I'd physically harm them? How can anyone tell me i have to accept homosexuality? I don't have to accept anything. How would you like it if someone told you you had to accept Islam, Christianity, 90% taxes, or slavery?

Yes, it is a choice. I choose not to sleep with men. They don't attract me.

And all of you f-ing liberals need to read the whole post before you knee jerk response. I said MOST animals.

Why are you so angry that I don't agree with it? Why should you care what I believe? I could give a rats *** what you believe.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1. You said they need to keep it in their own home. That seems to me as in they need to hide it. Obviously they aren't going to have public gay sex expos. Dont see straight people doing that. They should be able to act the same towards each other in public as any straight couple. Its clear you have an issue with gays. You are the problem. If you didnt have an issue you wouldn't even be arguing it.

2. I'm far from liberal and I dont see how accepting homosexuality in our culture makes one a liberal. Being pro guns is typically a republican view. Look at who the Republicans picked as their candidate this year? Someone who has consistently voted for more gun laws in the state he was governor of.

Lets have a grown up discussion instead of making assumptions and generalizations here.

Funny you bring up religion. I have religion stuffed down my throat 10000x more than homosexuality. Look at our national anthem. A dollar bill with "in god we trust." Last Christmas at work for our Christmas lunch our boss said a prayer. I dont agree with it but I'm also not going to get butthurt over it.

I work in the oil field that is filled with conservatives primarily. I have that stuff shoved down my throat all the time. I know plenty of gays. Theyve never tried shoving their gayness in my face or even talking about it.

You make it sound like you know a ton of gays that are constantly shoving it in your face. Give me a break.

Im far from liberal or conservative. I see both sides strength and weaknesses and it amazes me that anyone could blindly defend either side on EVERY issue and all their actions. They both habe faults.

I was raised a devout Catholic but no longer believe in God. Just can't justify it. I could care less what anyone else is. Be it Christian or Muslim as long as they are good people. I dont try and convince people differently.

I see religion and politics actually shoved in my face and people trying to shove them down my throat on a regular basis.

How many gays have you seriously had try and personally try and convince you to be gay? Probably none.....

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
1. You said they need to keep it in their own home. That seems to me as in they need to hide it. Obviously they aren't going to have public gay sex expos. Dont see straight people doing that. They should be able to act the same towards each other in public as any straight couple. Its clear you have an issue with gays. You are the problem. If you didnt have an issue you wouldn't even be arguing it.

2. I'm far from liberal and I dont see how accepting homosexuality in our culture makes one a liberal. Being pro guns is typically a republican view. Look at who the Republicans picked as their candidate this year? Someone who has consistently voted for more gun laws in the state he was governor of.

Lets have a grown up discussion instead of making assumptions and generalizations here.

Funny you bring up religion. I have religion stuffed down my throat 10000x more than homosexuality. Look at our national anthem. A dollar bill with "in god we trust." Last Christmas at work for our Christmas lunch our boss said a prayer. I dont agree with it but I'm also not going to get butthurt over it.

I work in the oil field that is filled with conservatives primarily. I have that stuff shoved down my throat all the time. I know plenty of gays. Theyve never tried shoving their gayness in my face or even talking about it.

You make it sound like you know a ton of gays that are constantly shoving it in your face. Give me a break.

Im far from liberal or conservative. I see both sides strength and weaknesses and it amazes me that anyone could blindly defend either side on EVERY issue and all their actions. They both habe faults.

I was raised a devout Catholic but no longer believe in God. Just can't justify it. I could care less what anyone else is. Be it Christian or Muslim as long as they are good people. I dont try and convince people differently.

I see religion and politics actually shoved in my face and people trying to shove them down my throat on a regular basis.

How many gays have you seriously had try and personally try and convince you to be gay? Probably none.....

No. You are missing my whole point. I don't care what anyone does, until they try to tell me I have to accept it. No, no one has tried to convince me to be gay but when someone says they disagree, ie chik-fil-a President, kirk Cameron etc, they are publicly ridiculed for hatred, being homophobic, or violent.

Just because most of us don't agree with something doesn't mean we think it should be illegal, or people should beat the hell out of gays. The only way I can describe it is like you described Christianity. How would like people who believe like you (atheists?) to be called out publically for being religiphobic or assume because you don't agree with them, you want to physically harm them and have the media blasting that agenda everytime you turn around?
As far as my choice of words for not caring what people do at home, I truly didn't mean it literally. I meant I don't care what they do.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

llamabreath

Banned
Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
It's not a choice. It's not something people can help.

Please see the second post in this thread:
llamabreath said:
This is a national FAD, the 'in' thing to do and nothing more.

*Btw, notice i said national, not international. Are people suddenly realizing they're gay all over the world? No, seems to be a relatively national phenomenon, wouldn't you all agree?

*Btw (#2), i fixed the its to it's for you. :)

< Sent directly from Hotlanta, via Tampa, via New York City >

Last edited:

trix

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Please see the second post in this thread:

*Btw, notice i said national, not international. Are people suddenly realizing they're gay all over the world? No, seems to be a relatively national phenomenon, wouldn't you all agree?

*Btw (#2), i fixed the its to it's for you. :)

Relatively new phenomenon because they're finally getting accepted by society.

You think gays received the same fairness in 1950 that they do today? Why do you think no one in pro sports csme out until now? Discrimination. Same goes for many sectors of our country.

Look at how big of a deal it is with Obama being our first black president. I guarantee some people would not vote for him specifically because he's black. Same goes for gays.

When our country stops discriminating it will stop becoming an issue. Segregation seems ridiculous now but 50 years ago it didn't.

llamabreath

Banned
Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Relatively new phenomenon because they're finally getting accepted by society.

You think gays received the same fairness in 1950 that they do today? Why do you think no one in pro sports csme out until now? Discrimination. Same goes for many sectors of our country.

Look at how big of a deal it is with Obama being our first black president. I guarantee some people would not vote for him specifically because he's black. Same goes for gays.

When our country stops discriminating it will stop becoming an issue. Segregation seems ridiculous now but 50 years ago it didn't.

I said relatively NATIONAL phenomenon, not new phenomenon. By you saying "society" , you mean American society. Think it's like this everywhere else? No, that's why I said national.

And more people voted for Obama BECAUSE he's black than people who didn't vote for him because he's black, so that throws that argument out the window.

Last edited:

trix

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I said relatively NATIONAL phenomenon, not new phenomenon. By you saying "society" , you mean American society. Think it's like this everywhere else? No, that's why I said national.

And more people voted for Obama BECAUSE he's black than people who didn't vote for him because he's black, so that throws that argument out the window.

So what exactly is your problem with gays again? Or your problem in this thread?

I'm just curious how gays are really effecting your lifestyle and happiness. Jason Collins didnt effect me in any way before or after. Unsure why you guys care. Blame the media, not him, for the publicity.

Pretty sure if you go to CNN's home page there's much dumber things getting reported as news. Look at the publicity honey boo boo got or Jersey Shore.

When people quit discriminating it will quit making news, so you can only thank people like yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz