Hi. I'm David. I switched to android, and wish I never did.

clparsons

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I switched from an iphone 5 to Sony Xperia T (android) and was first disappointed. After a few days I discovered how much I could change in terms of personal preferences. I am SOOOO glad I switched and stopped being an iPhone robot. They really make the system simple and very boring. Some people like that because they like simple operation. I don't. I like being able to change how my phone looks and operates. I like the open system that android utilizes. Apple makes you use THEIR APPS and THEIR system and buy THEIR crap. I got super tired of being TOLD how to use my device. I am very glad I switched. I realize now how "Corporate America" the iphone has become (despite it's very different beginnings). Good Luck...:D

kkapoorr

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've only owned android in my life but yeah I've used an iPhone. Therefore I can conclude that generally an iOS device is 'smoother' than an Android one.
As pointed out above this lag is usually due to unnecessary bloat and certain stock features.

Now this is where customzieability comes into play.
If you've used a samsung phone running JB 4.1 you'll see that the notification bar has certain hidden toggles which scroll from the right. This makes it lag. So what did I do? I set the samsung toggles to only 5(minimum) so they don't scroll. The rest of the toggles I've added via an app called Power Toggles. End result? Notification lag gone!
dy8epa8y.jpg

See the above pic.

Now I can fully sort it out by running a custom ROM which I'll end up doing later when I have the time. But this is wonderful as a temporary measure.
So I suggest that the OP gives more time to his device and tries to understand android before taking a final decision. AC and its forums are here for your help. Even then if you want to go back, then no body is stopping you. All I'm saying is people take a test drive of a car before deciding whether to purchase it or not.

Sent from my Note II

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there are downsides to the fragmentation, but there are also upsides. How happy would you be if the only car you could buy was a Ford Taurus, with a choice of black or white paint? And once a year Ford gives you a new radio, and once a decade a new GPS that doesn't take you where you want to go. :) The "fragmentation" you speak of offers users a great many choices to buy the "car" that best suits you, and equip it with the options you want.

Apple says "You want leather interior? Sorry, we only offer 'Alcantara'." "You want a V8? Sorry, we know better than you do which engine you need."

Oh no doubt the fragmentation often leads to advancement as well... Plus, I'm all for individualized customization as well.

New users and casual users, however, just want to pick up the phone and go with it. The OEMs are now trying to put super-turbo-modded models in the hands of daily commuters and its a bit of overload for them... See the OP. ;)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Jelly Bean works great on a Nexus. That proves the problem is with Touchwiz overlaid on top of Jelly Bean.

Jellybean works fine on my Galaxy S3, too.

Oh no doubt the fragmentation often leads to advancement as well... Plus, I'm all for individualized customization as well.

New users and casual users, however, just want to pick up the phone and go with it. The OEMs are now trying to put super-turbo-modded models in the hands of daily commuters and its a bit of overload for them... See the OP. ;)

There are plenty of more "basic" Android phones available. But when you buy the top of the line phone, you should expect more features, which frequently means more complexity. Going back to my car analogy, a Mercedes S500 is a more complicated vehicle than a Volkswagen Jetta. It has a lot more features and gadgets to learn how to use, but people who pay for a more expensive car (or phone) expect to get more features and gadgets. They either figure out how to use them, get someone else to show them, or ignore them, but they expect them as part of the class. If you want a more Basic phone from Samsung, the Rabbit or Jetta (er, Galaxy SII or Galaxy S3) will do nicely. As will any of several Fords and Toyotas (er, Nexus devices, or mid-range phones from other manufacturers).

It's silly to buy a phone that's advertised as being the most feature-laden Android phone on the market, and then complain it has so many features it's too complicated to use. No one forced the OP to choose the most gadget equipped phone on the market, if what he really wanted was simplicity. And if he didn't realize until after he bought it that the Mercedes wasn't really what he wanted, every major carrier will let you return the phone and exchange it for something else. (Try that with a car!)

Last edited:

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I like your analogy but since when is a Nexus the Ford of Android phones?!

Yeah I agree. If you want to compare the nexus to a car I'd go with a Aston martin. Sleek and beautiful, not crazy fast but has way more power than most buyers will use or can handle. And refined not every one can and will appreciate what they have in there hands.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I agree. If you want to compare the nexus to a car I'd go with a Aston martin. Sleek and beautiful, not crazy fast but has way more power than most buyers will use or can handle. And refined not every one can and will appreciate what they have in there hands.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Agree, I'd call a Samsung Galaxy S4 a Toyata Camry. Mainstream, cheap and loaded with stuff. Typical LG phones would then of course be Honda Accords, HTC One a Nissan Altima and Nexus the Lexus or BMW. I really don't think we've seen a Mercedes among phones yet, let alone anything Italian :)

I think it's common sense that if you want the best 4.2 (and soon 4.3) experience that's out there, you go Nexus. If you want the best TouchWiz experience that's out there, it's either on an S4 or a Note 2, but of course it's going to be more clunky, less refined and still have that cartoonesque gingerbread look and feel to it. If simplicity, elegance and the best (in terms of functionality, smoothness, ease and frequency of updates, etc, etc) software available, that's stock. The two things that Nexus devices are obviously lacking though are in the camera and onboard storage departments. Those two things are important to a lot of people, and obviously there are compromises to be made in order to get those from other software packages.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
The two things that Nexus devices are obviously lacking though are in the camera and onboard storage departments. Those two things are important to a lot of people, and obviously there are compromises to be made in order to get those from other software packages.
Um. There is that whole LTE thing. ;)

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@meyerweb... Nice analogy and a thoughtful consideration of the buying points. You're obviously well educated on Android in general and versed in the technical aspects of the differentiation. I'm like you - phones are a hobby for me. I read daily about the tech and developments. I research things and make informed choices as much as is within my power.

But the OP (possibly) and many consumers aren't into phones at the level you are. They don't know all this. There is a general perception (particularly for those coming from iOS, Blackberry, webOS, etc) that "Android is Android." Put them in the carrier store and the staff there isn't giving them the breakdown. They aren't asking them what their usage history is. They don't query them on their technical skill sets. They take them by the hand and lead them to the Galaxy S4 and say: "This is the best Android phone on the market right now." They get points for upselling.

To go back to your analogy... If you walk into a dealer that sells Volkswagen, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes all under one roof - where is the salesperson going to steer you? Over to the Jetta? ;)

You can't superimpose your impressive knowledge base on others and hold them accountable for understanding all the differences the way that you do... There may not be anyone in their life who can or will advise them correctly before they go to the carrier store. You can't count on the carrier's staff to tailor the buying decision to their needs. Most here are saying that the OP bought in with the wrong device to suit his needs, comfort level and personal style (myself included), but it is unfair to assume the stance that he should have known better beforehand. The knowledge that I have about phones is built up over time. It is a conscious effort. Not everyone is that interested in the topic and it it very hard to learn all you need to know in the short time between wanting to make a switch and walking into the carrier's store full of optimism that you are going to get a new phone of a style you've not used yet.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there are downsides to the fragmentation, but there are also upsides. How happy would you be if the only car you could buy was a Ford Taurus, with a choice of black or white paint? And once a year Ford gives you a new radio, and once a decade a new GPS that doesn't take you where you want to go. :) The "fragmentation" you speak of offers users a great many choices to buy the "car" that best suits you, and equip it with the options you want.

Apple says "You want leather interior? Sorry, we only offer 'Alcantara'." "You want a V8? Sorry, we know better than you do which engine you need."
Great analogy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Brother, I feel your pain.

I just switched over from webOS. (Go ahead... I'll wait... Y'all done laughing? Good.)

You hit the nail on the head and indicated the solution.

You selected the wrong device for your jump-in.

Nexus 4 (amen!!!) rocks with the lack of bloat (hallelujah!!!) and no skinning (preach it, Brother!!!) makes it easier to get around than on an OEM skinned device (YES, Lord!!!) and makes the OS lean without that carrierware (get behind me, Satan!!!).

Join the heavenly chorus, Brother and swap on over to the N4. O:)
Ha ha. Truly did a Lol on this one. Thanks for the laugh.
From one in the Brotherhood.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm a current iPhone user and I've got an HTC One on order and I'm starting to second guess my decision. The only major thing I don't like about the iPhone is I would like a larger screen. I could care less if someone else's phone is exactly the same as mine, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

To me, the apps are the core of what I use the phone for. The operating system is just something in the background.

Can somebody help me out and tell me what you can do on Android that you can't do on the iPhone and is something that you actually use? ie. everybody talks about NFC, but does anybody actually use it? Not trying to start a flame war or belittle anybody's operating system, I just truly want to know.
Here's 50 things. It's not about the features that everyone will use but certainly it shows the big differences in how Android is a very open platform with tons of features vs the closed Apple environment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48A4J5qpYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Turn off some or all of those features or root and install aosp on it. Or return it. My step son sees all the other Android phones in our home and still stays on iOS. It boggles my mind sometimes but there's gotta be some reason why he prefers it other than kids his age assume iphone is the best.

Sent from my note 2
I just bought my daughter an iPhone 5. She previously had my old Samsung GS2. She has been complaining about the battery draining on her iPhone. It doesn't even last until school is out. I tried to explain that because she has wifi and LTE on all the time it drains the battery faster and she should turn those things off. She then asked how she can add the little switcher thingie to her screen so she could turn them on and off. I didn't say anything because she keeps trying to say how her iPhone is so cool. After a slight pause she just said shut up. I told her that some phone's are more limited than others. Unfortunately her iPhone is as good as it gets if she wants to use an Apple product.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Buddy, I know how you feel. I'm in exactly the same shoes. I upgraded from an iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S4 and after giving it about two weeks to make sure I'm giving it a fair chance, I still.... dislike it. Mainly for the horrible camera(compared to the iPhone), poor in-call sound, constant lag, and ugly interface. Still, after extensive testing, its a tossup!

iPhone has a better interface, but Samsung has a much better screen, and buttons for going back and options button.
Samsung has bad in-call quality, but Samsung compensates for it with a good speakerphone (which is not any worse on the iPhone though)
iPhone has much better colors during daylight shooting, but Samsung decimates the iPhone during night shots. (despite some reviewers saying otherwise, my real life shots clearly show a huge advantage the Samsung has over the iPhone) Take some night shots and you'll see what I am talking about. I was absolutely shocked!

First few days of use, I was gonna call AT&T and quickly exchange this for an iPhone 5. Now I am not so sure anymore... Very, very hard decision. :-\
The HTC One is the phone you should have purchased.