Hi. I'm David. I switched to android, and wish I never did.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Folks (you know who you are), there's no need to insult anyone. There's a reason why there are multiple choices available to us. No one approach to smartphones is going to be right for everyone. If the iPhone is a better choice for the OP, whatever the reasons, that's his choice. The OP didn't criticize anyone here for preferring Android; he just gave us reasons he didn't like it. Some responders have tried to offer legitimate support, which is what this forum is supposed to be about. Criticizing or making fun of the OP accomplishes nothing.

To the OP: Switching to a different OS, whether it be Android, Windows, BB, or anything else, is going to entail a learning curve. If you don't want to put in the effort to learn a new platform, then sticking with iOS is definitely your best bet. If you are willing to make the effort to learn a new approach, and accept that Android doesn't, and never will work like iOS, then I think the platform has a lot to offer. In many ways I think it's better than iOS, but there are certainly some things iOS does better. iOS is, indeed, much simpler, but the trade-off is that it's much less flexible.

Choose the device that works best for you, and enjoy it. If your choice is the iPhone, then hang out here: iMore.com | The #1 Site for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV owners . If you really want to give Android a try, there are lots of people here who are willing to help with any questions you might have. But if you just want to complain about what you don't like, you'll just be wasting everyone's time.

ibex333

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting to write this for a few days now, and thought I'd join this forum and express my opinion and hear what you guys all have to say.

I switched to android. I ******* hate it.

I have been an iPhone user since day one. Yup, that ****ty metal, heavy, 2g device. I've never used another phone (as my everyday) since than. Sure, I've played with phones and used some for weeks at a time (I used to work at AT&T), but the iPhone was always my go to.

Recently, the S4 and the ONE came out. The specs, and hype, the marketing.... really intrigued me. I said, "You know what? **** it. I'll get an android. These phones are top notch, and they have more features than I know what to do with, I want to switch". For the past 2 years, I've been complaining that Apple is.... BORING.... LACKING INNOVATION.... EXCLUDING SIMPLE FEATURES.... ETC. Trust me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS). Trust me, I know how it is guys... Finally, I made the switch.

I bought this S4. From AT&T. Man, it's a sexy phone. Sleek. Big display. GORGEOUS display. Removable battery, added storage, quad core, the list goes on. This phone on paper, is unbelievable. But that's where it stops.

Immediately beginning to use this phone (as my everyday) I release how.... laggy it is.... how complex it is.... how it has features that are simply ******* STUPID. I'm moving around this QUAD CORE device with 2GB of ram and noticing just suttle lag all over the place. In the menu, in apps, etc. I'm realizing that the fact that my finger DOESNT NEED TO TOUCH THE DISPLAY FOR IT TO STILL TRIGGER I TOUCHED IT, annoys the hell out of me. I realize all this stupid bloatware from the manufacturer / att (yes i know about rooting, and I did that later).

I miss my iPhone.

Moving around android just annoys me. Its too detailed. There are WAY too many options. The flexibilty and the customization options are INSANELY overdone. The phone is powerful. The phone is ultimately designed to make it how YOU want it, but it goes too far. I miss my iPhone.

I miss the simplicity. I miss the smoothness. I miss the fact that everything, just, worked. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm close minded. But Android overall, seems to be just trying to hard to stand out.

All I want in a phone... is a phone... that just works. Smoothly. Take out all this bull**** that is added in these days... take out all the features that obviously NO ONE will use, and focus on the usability/reliability of the device. Focus on what the user ULTIMATELY will be using. Take out the bull****. Make it straight forward. Why do these manufacturers push so far to 'customize' their devices claiming it gives the 'ultimate experience'? No it doesn't... it bloats the phone and makes it overwhelming.

Ok, I'm dont ranting. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. Any of you iPhone divorces? Would love to understand what you think about these new phones. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm unsure....

Buddy, I know how you feel. I'm in exactly the same shoes. I upgraded from an iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S4 and after giving it about two weeks to make sure I'm giving it a fair chance, I still.... dislike it. Mainly for the horrible camera(compared to the iPhone), poor in-call sound, constant lag, and ugly interface. Still, after extensive testing, its a tossup!

iPhone has a better interface, but Samsung has a much better screen, and buttons for going back and options button.
Samsung has bad in-call quality, but Samsung compensates for it with a good speakerphone (which is not any worse on the iPhone though)
iPhone has much better colors during daylight shooting, but Samsung decimates the iPhone during night shots. (despite some reviewers saying otherwise, my real life shots clearly show a huge advantage the Samsung has over the iPhone) Take some night shots and you'll see what I am talking about. I was absolutely shocked!

First few days of use, I was gonna call AT&T and quickly exchange this for an iPhone 5. Now I am not so sure anymore... Very, very hard decision. :-\

grumpycompuprof

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I switched recently from a life of iPhones to the HTC One. It was a little scary at first especially since my wife and I share our location and use iMessage to communicate. Since she is very happy and comfortable with her iPhone 5 I wanted more customization and a new challenge for myself. I like that I can determine what should happen if something is clicked. Open the stock browser or Chrome - my choice. Sadly my home screens look exactly like the two screens on my iPhone did. But there is just so much more to explore and that's what gets me excited about this new phone and OS. Also I use a software to connect to my corporate email system and the Android version runs laps around the iOS version. Keep trying and enjoy the ride.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

texasotts

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Keep it a while and give it a chance. I had iPhone for years and went to the galaxy s3 this fall and just upgraded to the s4. I will admit I got the iPhone 5 but was intrigued by android. I had the first one years ago and didn't care for it but I figured it had to be better after all this time. I bought the galaxy and used it on wifi only at home like a mini tablet but kept using my iPhone fro my actual phone. After a couple weeks I found myself thinking the iPhone was way too small and kept trying to use a back key. I finally bit the bullet and stuck a sim card in my android. I am happy I switched and at first really missed some of the features of iPhone but I just don't anymore. There are plenty of apps that you can install to help you in your transition. SwiftKey keyboard has the autocorrect osest to iPhone, glow fly has the iPhone type notifications for texts but a step up because you can reply right from your home screen. I also enjoy having a led light for notifications as well. Just keep it for a bit and play with it. Do a Google search on top android apps and play around. Good luck but ultimately in the end go for what works best for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You're right. But I'm trying to give it a shot. I just am trying to understand why I am so comfortable with my iPhone... i got so many friends who use android and praise it... but cant give it. I'm shocked and pretty confused on why phones are pushing these 'QUAD CORE / OCTO CORE' processors, yet still have lag. It boggles my mind.

Honestly I want to hear from a user who switched from iPhone and explain their process.

I will try to give my two cents on this topic. Are Samsung's features gimmicky....yes. Can you turn them off? Most likely (don't have an S4, sorry) as most of the features could be disabled on my S3. The lag....where are you seeing it? Like another post asked is it a web page? or is it just exploring the phone itself? If the latter, that is probably TouchWiz (Samsung's User Interface) which I admit isn't so wonderful. I prefer Nova Launcher available from Play. If the former, Android multitasks, so some of it is loading the webpage, some is paying attention to your input.

You showed severe dislike for the hover feature. I am reasonably certain this can be turned off, try Settings>Display (guessing here)

Apps....the last I knew, there were (and may be still) a majority of developers who choose to focus more time/money/programming on iOS apps. I even had some games that I fully believe that using the iOS version gave an advantage over Android in PVP situations.

As for smoothness of the OS, I read the link posted explaining why, and it is rather interesting. But I am digressing.

It is a new OS, and a learning curve should be expected. I went from a Galaxy S2 to an S3, and still had a learning curve. The responsiveness to my touches even seemed different.

In the end it really comes down to a few key points; First, iOS isn't for everyone, nor is Android. Second, how much time do you wish to invest learning a new OS? Third, only you can say (Insert OS here) is the best for me.

The last thing I can think of is to say thank you for having an open mind to the point of trying. I know many iPhone users who won't even look at my device because it is not Apple.

Last edited:

tcseacliff

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same quandry. i was a NOKIA guy , then right to blackberry. now am considering the S4, but have fooled around with some Android phones and there is nothing intuitive about them , like a Berry. the learning curve is the part that is keeping me from pulling the trigger. have tried friends Iphones and it is smooth as stated , apps are plentiful, but boring at the same time. hard to explain. I do wish the S4 was a little less complicated. i have seen people struggle with their Androids. but, I guess when you finally get it is where you get the payoff!

tcseacliff

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I will try to give my two cents on this topic. Are Samsung's features gimmicky....yes. Can you turn them off? Most likely (don't have an S4, sorry) as most of the features could be disabled on my S3. The lag....where are you seeing it? Like another post asked is it a web page? or is it just exploring the phone itself? If the latter, that is probably TouchWiz (Samsung's User Interface) which I admit isn't so wonderful. I prefer Nova Launcher available from Play. If the former, Android multitasks, so some of it is loading the webpage, some is paying attention to your input.

You showed severe dislike for the hover feature. I am reasonably certain this can be turned off, try Settings>Display (guessing here)

Apps....the last I knew, there were (and may be still) a majority of developers who choose to focus more time/money/programming on iOS apps. I even had some games that I fully believe that using the iOS version gave an advantage over Android in PVP situations.

As for smoothness of the OS, I read the link posted explaining why, and it is rather interesting. But I am digressing.

It is a new OS, and a learning curve should be expected. I went from a Galaxy S2 to an S3, and still had a learning curve. The responsiveness to my touches even seemed different.

In the end it really comes down to a few key points; First, iOS isn't for everyone, nor is Android. Second, how much time do you wish to invest learning a new OS? Third, only you can say (Insert OS here) is the best for me.

The last thing I can think of is to say thank you for having an open mind to the point of trying. I know many iPhone users who won't even look at my device because it is not Apple.

LIKE THIS: video[ android vs iphone 4 - YouTube!]video

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
You are right to criticize Android it is overwhelming for newcomers and Samsung with the S4 has amplified that horribly. If you can try a Nexus and you will find that it for the most part just works and that it has no crap crapping it up and is plenty fast. It may even feel enough like an iPhone to help you adjust. You can try going back to your iPhone but I think you'll just end up back being frustrated. I started out on Android in 2010 and bought a carrier branded phone I hated it but I also hated going back to a dumb phone so I toughed it out ******** about the next Android I got as well until I finally went Nexus with the Galaxy Nexus last spring. It had its problems but I was so much happier with my overall experience. I have to fuss with my friends and family's Android devices and they run some great phones and terrible. You work for ATT you have access to some really nice phones even though they tend to **** on what they get. Hell while you are out trying new things try Windows Phone it is simple it is colorful it is easy to use. The app selection maybe smaller but it is an entirely new platform for you to explore hell you can even go for Blackberry's Z10.
If it helps just because you can do a lot doesn't mean you have to. Keep poking at it and eventually you'll be comfortable with something. I hope you find your phone happiness somewhere. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

UnicornBacon

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Hello David you should take a quick look at these links: 1. MIUI 2. LeWa OS

I'm probably not the most qualified person to be explaining this to you, but essentially MIUI and LeWa are ROMs that can be flashed to certain rooted android devices as a replacement to the devices OEM operating system. I've only briefly experimented with them back when I was still using my Sprint LG Optimus S, but from what I gathered they both (MIUI more so in particular) mimick an iOS-style environment somewhat closely. Now considering that the Galaxy S4 is still quite a new device I'm not sure that there are versions of these ROMs available for your phone just yet, but if in the near future they do become available for the S4 then you might want to consider trying them. I know that's only a small consolation, but it's probably the most constructive solution that anyone can offer you.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Samsung with the S4 has amplified that horribly. If you can try a Nexus and you will find that it for the most part just works and that it has no crap crapping it up and is plenty fast.
My first android was the GNex and I found it easy to use. I got my mom an iPhone at the same time and so I learned both iOS and vanilla Android together.

I get overwhelmed when I try to use a Samsung or an HTC in the stores because they are so different from my GNex. A neighbor recently bought a GNote2 and was asking me how to use. It took me awhile to get my bearings on the device to be able to help him.

afgzee

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
your main complaint is about AT&T bloatware, how is this an Android issue? move on nothing to see here!

I've had iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 820 & (with windows phone 7 & 8) old Symbian devices, Sony Ericson's you name it I've had it and for me my HTC One and my Lumia 820 are by far the best phones I've ever owned!

atomic_squid

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been waiting to write this for a few days now, and thought I'd join this forum and express my opinion and hear what you guys all have to say.

I have been an iPhone user since day one. Yup, that ****ty metal, heavy, 2g device. I've never used another phone (as my everyday) since than. Sure, I've played with phones and used some for weeks at a time (I used to work at AT&T), but the iPhone was always my go to.

Recently, the S4 and the ONE came out. The specs, and hype, the marketing.... really intrigued me. I said, "You know what? **** it. I'll get an android. These phones are top notch, and they have more features than I know what to do with, I want to switch". For the past 2 years, I've been complaining that Apple is.... BORING.... LACKING INNOVATION.... EXCLUDING SIMPLE FEATURES.... ETC. Trust me, I am NOT a Apple fanboy. I complain PLENTY about how the iPhone should have specific features (as simple as A SCREEN BRIGHTNESS CHANGER WITHOUT HAVING TO GO INTO THE SETTINGS). Trust me, I know how it is guys... Finally, I made the switch.

I bought this S4. From AT&T. Man, it's a sexy phone. Sleek. Big display. GORGEOUS display. Removable battery, added storage, quad core, the list goes on. This phone on paper, is unbelievable. But that's where it stops.

Immediately beginning to use this phone (as my everyday) I release how.... laggy it is.... how complex it is.... how it has features that are simply ******* STUPID. I'm moving around this QUAD CORE device with 2GB of ram and noticing just suttle lag all over the place. In the menu, in apps, etc. I'm realizing that the fact that my finger DOESNT NEED TO TOUCH THE DISPLAY FOR IT TO STILL TRIGGER I TOUCHED IT, annoys the hell out of me. I realize all this stupid bloatware from the manufacturer / att (yes i know about rooting, and I did that later).

I miss my iPhone.

Moving around android just annoys me. Its too detailed. There are WAY too many options. The flexibilty and the customization options are INSANELY overdone. The phone is powerful. The phone is ultimately designed to make it how YOU want it, but it goes too far. I miss my iPhone.

I miss the simplicity. I miss the smoothness. I miss the fact that everything, just, worked. I dont know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm close minded. But Android overall, seems to be just trying to hard to stand out.

All I want in a phone... is a phone... that just works. Smoothly. Take out all this bull**** that is added in these days... take out all the features that obviously NO ONE will use, and focus on the usability/reliability of the device. Focus on what the user ULTIMATELY will be using. Take out the bull****. Make it straight forward. Why do these manufacturers push so far to 'customize' their devices claiming it gives the 'ultimate experience'? No it doesn't... it bloats the phone and makes it overwhelming.

Ok, I'm dont ranting. I'm curious to hear what you guys have to say. Any of you iPhone divorces? Would love to understand what you think about these new phones. I'm willing to give it a shot, but I'm unsure....

I switched from an iPhone 4 to an HTC One X, and believe me, for the first couple days, I regretted it. But, once I figured everything out, I realized just how great Android is, how much more customizable it is even compared to a jailbroken device. I'll never look back. There is a learning curve, but it's worth it.

Sent from my JellyBammed One XL

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I miss my iPhone.

Well, not to hate on the S4 but all of Samsung's excess is a large part of the problem you're experiencing. Touchwiz is a resource hog and now that they've added 20 random sensors and over 1GB of 'features' which 99% of the population won't use at any point in the phone's life it has seriously hampered the day to day usage. I know how you feel coming from the iPhone since I also have been an iPhone fan since the original. I've been with the iOS platform since Fall 2008 and switching to Android was the best thing I've ever done. After weeks of research I picked the HTC One and I couldn't be happier. Head to head it beats the S4 in performance despite the S4 having faster ram and a higher clocked cpu. Why? Because Sense 5, while not perfect, is much more streamlined and not a resource hog like Touchwiz.

I think if you had picked nearly any other current Android phone you would have liked it better coming from the iPhone. Sony has phones that are as close to stock as you get, with a skin of course. The HTC Sense skin is nice but I'd recommend only the HTC One. (more storage, faster day-to-day performance, less bloatware, etc than the S4) The HTC First is a decent option once you get rid of the Facebook nonsense and have a practically stock Android phone. Despite the mid-range specs on stock Android it flies. Coming from the iPhone I recommend pretty much anything but the S4, and again I'm not hating on the S4, but I feel Samsung really missed the mark. Please don't give up on Android! Maybe try out some different skins/launchers or get your hands on a Nexus 4 if you can find one to try out the stock experience. Android is a wonderful place as long as you're willing to give it some time.

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I miss my iPhone.

I read this online and have always found it useful and I actually do it....when you first get a new device do a factory restore. It may sound dumb but it actually has cleared up 1GB worth of storage for me and I felt helped it run better. It may not help the problems you're having but why not give it a shot?

I have an iPhone 5 as well as a LG Spectrum 2. I switch back and forth but yesterday I was playing with the Spectrum 2 and installed the swiftkey keyboard. This may sound stupid as well but it made a world of difference to me. I have always hated Android keyboards, found them useless compared to the one on my iPhone. With swiftkey I use the swype feature and I have never typed so quickly on a phone. I am not one that is heavy into customizing my phone, I think some forget that it's a phone....not a computer. But one thing I have found with Android that the iPhone cannot due unless jailbreaking is if you don't like how the phone does something, in my case the keyboard...download a new one. If you don't like the messaging app...download a new one. Hate the stock browser, set a new one as your default. I guess that is customizing to an extent but not necessarily for the looks. Email is another thing on iPhone that is starting to annoy me, I cannot insert photos as an attachment only directly into an email. I have no problem with how the iPhone interface looks....again it's a phone, but rule number 32 of Zombieland...enjoy the little things, those little things make a big difference.

Maybe also part of the problem could be your expectations are too high, I don't know I'm not you. Don't try to find the perfect OS and don't expect one to be, it's just not going to happen. Everybody has their preference of which little things are more important to them and they choose an OS accordingly. Your preference may be iPhone while plenty of other people's on here is Android, there's nothing wrong with either. It's your choice, asking for advice of others does help but.....it all comes down to the little things.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I am having the same quandry. i was a NOKIA guy , then right to blackberry. now am considering the S4, but have fooled around with some Android phones and there is nothing intuitive about them , like a Berry. the learning curve is the part that is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

There's nothing intuitive about a Blackberry. You just learned it before Android, so it's how you "think", and what you compare to. I did the reverse: went from PalmOS to Android, then got a client issued BB. I hated it. Nothing worked "right." Nothing was intuitive. But I figured it out, just like I figured out PalmOS and Android before that. Even iOS requires a learning curve if you're used to something like Android or Windows.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You're right. But I'm trying to give it a shot. I just am trying to understand why I am so comfortable with my iPhone... i got so many friends who use android and praise it... but cant give it. I'm shocked and pretty confused on why phones are pushing these 'QUAD CORE / OCTO CORE' processors, yet still have lag. It boggles my mind.

Honestly I want to hear from a user who switched from iPhone and explain their process.

Maybe the Nexus 4 would be a better fit. Pure stock android without all the "features" and bloat from the carriers. Has no lag that I have seen on mine, and gets updates straight from google at about the same speed Apple updates it's iOS devices. Plus at only $349 for 16GB, its a great deal. Trust me, you haven't used Android untill you use a Nexus. It's a way better experience.

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
When I switched from my iPhone 4 to an Infuse, the first thing I did was ignore everything I learned in iOS just as I did when I went from the Pre to the iPhone. Saved me a lot of headaches and the lag on the Infuse stock Froyo was far worse than anything you'll see on the S4.

My phone is a good One!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37