So how much does your cell phone cost you per month?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
There's a radio ad going around here in Canada, stating that on average, we pay less than equivilent plans in the USA. Based on comparable plans between Bell Mobility, Telus, and Rogers in Canada, and ATT and Verizon in the USA.

I'm not sure I buy into this. I currently have two phone lines with Bell Mobility, and I pay $78 & $88 for each. That gives me 200 daytime minutes, unlimited incoming, 10 favorite numbers (free anytime), free evenings/weekends, and 12GB shared data between the two.

They are suggesting we pay 20% less than our American counterparts.....so do we?

Dustin6707

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I have Sprint, with 2 phones, and after taxes its $132.04. Gives me unlimited data, 1200 anytime, and free calls to any cellphone. That's with a discount that my wife gets for being a teacher though.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
$30
Unlimited calls to the same provider.
120 min to others I think
Unlimited texting
500mb data and a bonus.

Bonus usually includes data, or extra credit... With the chance of winning a new phone. Its like a online lucky dip when you recharge.

Posted via Android Central App

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have my regular family plan which includes myself, wife and 3 kids. I am the only one with a smart phone (2 gb) on the regular plan. Then I have a "sub" plan that includes my mother in-law, father in-law, brother in-law, as well as my mom (she also has a smart phone @ 5 gb) and step dad. The family plan and the sub plan both have 2700 minutes a month or something close to that.

Our bill is right around 550.00 or close to it. We have had a few data overages which can get really expensive, one month my mom used over 10gb.

My kids are starting to gently suggest that they want smart phones for birthdays and Christmas this year so it looks like my bill will be going up again. My daughter says she wants an S4 like mine, and my middle son I'll probably get one as well.

Hard to tell what my bill will look like then.

My brother has AT&T, for his ex-wife and their kids, as well as the new wife, step kids and their kids. I know his cell bill is almost if not more than his house payment.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So they replied to my Twitter bombardment and this is what they gave me to compare American and Canadian rates, and I still don't buy it. My two phones cost me $180.43 after taxes, with the above mentioned features...oh and I forgot I do have unlimited US/Canada texting. So what does an average person pay for their two phones on AT&T or Verizon?

There are cheaper providers up here, but they only work in major urban centers and if you do leave those areas and start roaming...the fees add up quickly, I'm told.

More info: CWTA | Facts & Figures

Attachments

• Canada-US Smartphone Plan Comparison Data[1][2].pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 9

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
278$ on sprint, all smart phones, all on the unlimited everything plan.

Due to T-Mobile having better service plus 4g in our area, were making the switch to it one by one as our contracts expire. Since sprint, despite nv is still not getting any better.

Really, why would you want to be on a contract, they suck!! Especially if you're using a cdma phone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have 5 lines on Verizon, $140 total for the 5 lines, before taxes and discounts. I have 2 smartphones including one with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, and 3 dumb phones.

550 anytime minutes
Unlimited mobile to mobile
Unlimited nights and weekends

One thing to remember when comparing plans is that some plans include the carrier subsidy, others do not. With the subsidy, you can get the phone cheaper but are tied to a contract, and the monthly prices are typically higher to cover the subsidy. On my plan, I can get phones at subsidized pricing on each line of service.

Obviously, some people would avoid subsidized phones at all costs, though it doesn't bother me that much, so long as I can get the best pricing.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Of your looking at any of the newer share everything plans in the U.S between AT&T and Verizon your looking at $110 before taxes for one phone with unlimited talk text and 2gb of data. Depending on where you live with tax that can become $140 bill for one phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Of your looking at any of the newer share everything plans in the U.S between AT&T and Verizon your looking at $110 before taxes for one phone with unlimited talk text and 2gb of data. Depending on where you live with tax that can become $140 bill for one phone.

You can still get on the old plans on Verizon, by assuming liability of one.

If you do decide to go share everything on Verizon, it is $40 per smartphone plus $50 for 2gb of data,but as you go up, it doesn't cost as much. For example, if you had 10 smartphones with 2gb per line, you would be paying $550,or $55 per line, before taxes. You can get anyone to share the lines with, if so inclined.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You can still get on the old plans on Verizon, by assuming liability of one.

If you do decide to go share everything on Verizon, it is $40 per smartphone plus $50 for 2gb of data,but as you go up, it doesn't cost as much. For example, if you had 10 smartphones with 2gb per line, you would be paying $550,or $55 per line, before taxes. You can get anyone to share the lines with, if so inclined.

Most people won't assume liability of a plan though. I assumed we are talking apples to apples as if i went to Verizon right now and signed a new contract to compared with going to Canada and signing a new contract. After looking with both on 2 GB plans would be more like $100. That's without taxes or insurance on your phone. And I don't know anybody who would put ten lines under their name to save money. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a $600 phone bill if people decided to not pay their part of the bill. Also thats $550 without tax and insurance. depends on where u live for tax also. My state has 21.5% tax on cell phones. So my $100 bill turns to $122

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Most people won't assume liability of a plan though. I assumed we are talking apples to apples as if i went to Verizon right now and signed a new contract to compared with going to Canada and signing a new contract. After looking with both on 2 GB plans would be more like $100. That's without taxes or insurance on your phone. And I don't know anybody who would put ten lines under their name to save money. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a $600 phone bill if people decided to not pay their part of the bill. Also thats $550 without tax and insurance. depends on where u live for tax also. My state has 21.5% tax on cell phones. So my $100 bill turns to $122

It just depends on your needs i guess, and how much effort you are willing to do. But really, I have done the assumption of liability process myself and it was pretty easy. Even if you were to have less lines, say 5 lines (the same amount of lines that I have), then it would be $300 of $60 per line. If you have two lines of service, it would be $140 or $70 per line

Now, if you only had one line, then it would be $90 for the one line, plus taxes. On my family share plan, i pay between $2-4 per line for taxes and fees(it fluctuates from month to month), but obviously it may vary.

I am a heavy data user, so on my peak month, my bill, if on share everything, can exceed $5,000 a month. On my family share plan, i pay just $140. But obviously everyone's needs are different. My account uses very little anytime minutes and virtually no texts, but takes advantage of mobile to mobile and nights and weekends.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all your input. Based on what I've read here, over at webOS Nation | webOS Forums, News, Reviews, Apps and Help, and people I've talked to on Twitter...It appears we do, in fact, pay (a little) less on a single line. Also keep in mind I was specifically comparing Telus, Rogers & Bell to AT&T and Verizon. The thing is I pay for 2 lines, one for myself and one for my girlfriend, and this is where it seems to equal out. I have had both plans for well over 5 years now, and if I wanted to add a third line, I'm certain 6 GB isn't even an option anymore. I work all over the city (outskirts) and most of the time in areas with no WiFi, so for me to stream music really isn't an option for me, as they charge a ridiculous $10/100MB once you go over your data limit. Hopefully our cable/internet provider continues it's blanket coverage of WiFi over the city....if you have a home Internet account with them, then you can access their WiFi at no extra charge.

Gollum18 how many smartphones did you say you were paying $278 for?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So they replied to my Twitter bombardment and this is what they gave me to compare American and Canadian rates, and I still don't buy it. My two phones cost me $180.43 after taxes, with the above mentioned features...oh and I forgot I do have unlimited US/Canada texting. So what does an average person pay for their two phones on AT&T or Verizon?

There are cheaper providers up here, but they only work in major urban centers and if you do leave those areas and start roaming...the fees add up quickly, I'm told.

More info: CWTA | Facts & Figures

My Verizon 2 lines is $168 with taxes included. One is unlimited, the other is 4GB of data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34