Video Call in Hangouts

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Obviously Hangouts does use telephone numbers because it calls the other phone. Also,Hangouts has to know the other person has Hangouts installed or not so how do I tell Hangouts which phone number to use for a contact in my address book

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay, then how does Hangouts know if the person in my contact address book on my phone has Hangouts installed and how to contact that person

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
All I can tell you is I have a wifi only tablet and make hangout video calls to my father in law who has the same... He does not even have a cell phone,, all he has is a wifi only tablet and he makes hangout video calls... No phone number what's so ever.

Note 2,,ITS TRUE, SIZE IS EVERYTHING.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Okay then it is obvious that a telephone number is not required and I was wrong. That being said I still have the same basic question. Lets say that you have John Smith in your phone book contact list and you want to have a Hangouts video call with him. Since John Smith is a very common name (and you have never had a previous Hangouts discussion with him) then how does Hangouts know which John Smith I want to have a conversation with (assume that John Smith has previously installed Hangouts on his phone or tablet).

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
From what I know and how I see it you can hangout with anyone that is in one of your circles on Google plus. So if john Smith is in one of your circles then it will call john Smith. If you try to hangout with someone in your contact that does not have hangout app it will send them an invitation. The one thing that people have that Is unique is their email address. Your john Smith in your contacts does not have the same email as another john Smith across the country.

Note 2,,ITS TRUE, SIZE IS EVERYTHING.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You can send a message to anyone that is in your Google contacts list. If they do not have the Hangouts software or you're missing the needed information for it to work that way, it'll give you the option of sending them a text or e-mail to invite them to Hangouts.