Will 2.1 Amps at 5 Volts damage a phone

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 2.1amp 5V charger. Will it blow the power supply fuse or damage any of the other hardware ?

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Mobile Nations mobile app

ctowne

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
It is not great for the battery to be charged that quickly, but yes it will work. It will deplete the life of your battery much more quickly than a normal 1A charger will.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's incorrect. The phone has a built in throttle that only draws the amount of amperage out needs. Kinda like a water hose with a valve at the end, regardless how much flow is available, the valve controls how much is let through. While a stronger charger wouldn't charge the battery faster, I do like them for greater versatility across devices and it would theoretically last longer because it isn't working as hard to deliver the same power as a weaker one.

EDIT: Probably a better analogy would be the 110V wall outlet. Those are typically 30 amp circuits, but you don't see them damaging small devices (defects aside of course).

TheLegoman

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
That's incorrect. The phone has a built in throttle that only draws the amount of amperage out needs. Kinda like a water hose with a valve at the end, regardless how much flow is available, the valve controls how much is let through. While a stronger charger wouldn't charge the battery faster, I do like them for greater versatility across devices and it would theoretically last longer because it isn't working as hard to deliver the same power as a weaker one.

EDIT: Probably a better analogy would be the 110V wall outlet. Those are typically 30 amp circuits, but you don't see them damaging small devices (defects aside of course).

This guy got it.

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This guy got it.

Thanks, but thinking more on it, there is an exception. What I said pertains to charging the battery via the phone. If using a stand alone charger, it could be possible that it will charge the battery too fast. If it isn't programmed right, it could let too much amperage through to the battery. I've never used a stand alone phone battery charger, but I know other chargers can have variable rates (like ones used in electric R/C battery chargers). So just make sure you get one specific to your phone's battery if possible.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Lol yeah. I don't think USB is capable of delivering that much power through that small of wire. But like Ctowne said, it would still be ok if you found one that strong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs