WINDOWS XP: Countdown to April 8th

llamabreath

Banned
Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Who should protect the people that still use it (there are plenty of you out there, including me) and do you think Microsoft is free of the responsibility after twelve years?

Were they even responsible in the first place? Or isn't it up to the consumer to protect themselves from anything that can come across the Web to their computer?

What if the consumer is elderly, or mentally challenged?

A taste of the horrible things to come for Windows XP

(⊙_⊙) I think people that take the time out of their day (or night) to think of some clever, memorable or just plain dumb signature probably have way too much time on their collective hands and they should get back to work and earn their paycheck, instead of just expecting their paycheck. People like this make me sick to my stomach.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that Microsoft or anyone besides the user is responsible after 12 years. That's a couple lifetimes in OS years! At work we're encouraging our customers still using XP to strongly consider updating. It's interesting how a lot of the ones who do upgrade choose Windows 7, which is already 4 years old. But it's to be supported until January 2020, which is a supported lifetime of 10? years and a good little while yet.

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that Microsoft or anyone besides the user is responsible after 12 years. That's a couple lifetimes in OS years! At work we're encouraging our customers still using XP to strongly consider updating. It's interesting how a lot of the ones who do upgrade choose Windows 7, which is already 4 years old. But it's to be supported until January 2020, which is a supported lifetime of 10? years and a good little while yet.

They choose Windows 7 because Windows 8 and Metro is ugly as sh....****! :p Haha

But I know plenty of people still on XP SP2 with expired Norton AV.... people. :p

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 takes some growing used to.
Its grown on me. Do you expect Google to update patch the original android in a few years? Probably not, thus the same should go with Microsoft.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 takes some growing used to.
Its grown on me. Do you expect Google to update patch the original android in a few years? Probably not, thus the same should go with Microsoft.

I agree. I've come to like Windows 8 as well. Especially since the 8.1 update. It is considerably faster than Windows 7, and it's also very stable.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I've come to like Windows 8 as well. Especially since the 8.1 update. It is considerably faster than Windows 7, and it's also very stable.

Windows 8/8.1 is faster and uses less resources than Windows 7 on a 5 1/2 year old PC that I have.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Just get rid of XP already. It is slow and ugly

Purely subjective. :) I still prefer the clean look of the classic desktop (ex. Windows 95/2000) versus any of the newer fancy UI's Microsoft has tried since Vista (culminating with the train wreck that is Windows 8!). Guess I'm just old school. :p I've also found Windows XP (Pro) actually runs better than anything newer. My two year old laptop (decent specs - Intel i5 processor, 4GB memory and fast hard drive - 7200rpm) that came with Windows 7 runs a heck of lot better with Windows XP. I tried using Windows 7 on it for a while. But it was death by a thousand cuts, so ended up wiping the system, loaded XP instead and never looked back. :)

I plan to stick with XP for the time being even after support ends next year. The system is set up with a layered defense (see: Defense in depth), so not too concerned about un-patched software bugs. The other security layers will provide protection. One of those I'd highly recommend is the MVPS blocking hosts file (see Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File). It blocks known malicious Internet stuff, as well as ads. I swear it alone has kept any type of malware from even reaching my systems while browsing the far reaches of the Internet. :) Ultimately, I'll probably move on to Linux as I just don't care for the direction Microsoft is going with Windows. :(

As to the thread topic, IMHO the biggest security layer (and most responsible party) is the person behind the keyboard!

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Purely subjective. :) I still prefer the clean look of the classic desktop (ex. Windows 95/2000) versus any of the newer fancy UI's Microsoft has tried since Vista (culminating with the train wreck that is Windows 8!). Guess I'm just old school. :p I've also found Windows XP (Pro) actually runs better than anything newer. My two year old laptop (decent specs - Intel i5 processor, 4GB memory and fast hard drive - 7200rpm) that came with Windows 7 runs a heck of lot better with Windows XP. I tried using Windows 7 on it for a while. But it was death by a thousand cuts, so ended up wiping the system, loaded XP instead and never looked back. :)

I plan to stick with XP for the time being even after support ends next year. The system is set up with a layered defense (see: Defense in depth), so not too concerned about un-patched software bugs. The other security layers will provide protection. One of those I'd highly recommend is the MVPS blocking hosts file (see Blocking Unwanted Connections with a Hosts File). It blocks known malicious Internet stuff, as well as ads. I swear it alone has kept any type of malware from even reaching my systems while browsing the far reaches of the Internet. :) Ultimately, I'll probably move on to Linux as I just don't care for the direction Microsoft is going with Windows. :(

As to the thread topic, IMHO the biggest security layer (and most responsible party) is the person behind the keyboard!

Thank you for sharing the links!

I did know about using the HOSTS file for blocking unwanted websites. I just didn't know that there programs that can help you to do that.

Sent from my RCT6378W2 using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
From what I've heard, it looks like Microsoft will make Windows 8.2 look and behave a lot more like Windows 7. Microsoft looking to bring back the Start Menu to Windows 8 in future update | Windows Phone Central

Overall, I like Windows PCs. I don't mind the fact that with 8.1 the windows icon kind of resembles the start button in both appearance and functionality (I right click a lot, so once I figured out that a right click on the icon was what I needed for shut down, I was fine).

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for sharing the links!

I did know about using the HOSTS file for blocking unwanted websites. I just didn't know that there programs that can help you to do that.

You're welcome. :) The blocking hosts file can also be used on Android devices via AdAway (requires root access though). Google removed it from the Play Store a while back, but you can get it directly from the dev here: AdAway | sufficiently secure and side load it.

Also, keep in mind the blocking hosts file is usually updated once a month to stay up to speed with current threats. You can sign up to get a e-mail notification when it's updated (see: MVPS HOSTS File Update Notices).

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Also, keep in mind the blocking hosts file is usually updated once a month to stay up to speed with current threats. You can sign up to get a e-mail notification when it's updated (see: MVPS HOSTS File Update Notices).

An update once a month is not really staying up to speed with current threats. A rule of thumb is that after a week of no updates, an antivirus/antimalware program seriously loses effectiveness.