Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Example Of Why I Don't Love Android

Just today, on another forum, a member there asked "I want to get my wife a tablet for Christmas. What should I get her?" I remarked "Well, I use Android. Not because I love it, but because it's the least objectionable of the alternatives." Then, as luck would have it, and example of why I put it that way reared its ugly head.

I just tried to send my wife an email (shared from a calendar event notification). For some reason the handset got "stuck" trying to send it. I'm on WiFi (my own network) and run my own mailserver (thus I can tell exactly what's going on). The handset wasn't even attempting to actually connect to the mailserver. Reboot the handset. Still stuck. Deleted the email from K9 Mail's "Outgoing" folder. Still sitting there trying to send. Reboot the handset again. Finally the problem was cleared. (Screw it. I'll just remember to tell her, personally.)

Couldn't let it stay that way, w/o clearing it, because that would've killed my battery. This is at least the second time this particular flaw has bit me. Last time it was at work, trying to send something to myself, via my work email server. (Which I also administer.)

This kind of thing is typical of Android. My handset's application launcher occasionally crashes and reboots. Occasionally, Google Services or Google Play Services goes wonky and sucks down the battery. When Google Play Services goes wonky, sometimes it's because it's trashed a Contacts record (again), so the Contacts have to be wiped and re-synced from scratch, which then invalidates all the "desktop" shortcuts to direct (phone) dialing, so they have to all be redone.

These are examples of why some people call Android "The New Windows."

The only reason my tablet doesn't give me much trouble, any more, is because I replaced Samsung's crap firmware with CM. Don't dare try that on my handset, because it's too-easily brickable. Plus I'd lose WiFi calling.

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Example Of Why I Don't Love Android

Have you tried wiping your handset's cache in recovery?
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Have you tried wiping your handset's cache in recovery?
    That got done when I upgraded the handset to 4.0.3. Do I need to do that regularly?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    Just today, on another forum, a member there asked "I want to get my wife a tablet for Christmas. What should I get her?" I remarked "Well, I use Android. Not because I love it, but because it's the least objectionable of the alternatives." Then, as luck would have it, and example of why I put it that way reared its ugly head.

I just tried to send my wife an email (shared from a calendar event notification). For some reason the handset got "stuck" trying to send it. I'm on WiFi (my own network) and run my own mailserver (thus I can tell exactly what's going on). The handset wasn't even attempting to actually connect to the mailserver. Reboot the handset. Still stuck. Deleted the email from K9 Mail's "Outgoing" folder. Still sitting there trying to send. Reboot the handset again. Finally the problem was cleared. (Screw it. I'll just remember to tell her, personally.)

Couldn't let it stay that way, w/o clearing it, because that would've killed my battery. This is at least the second time this particular flaw has bit me. Last time it was at work, trying to send something to myself, via my work email server. (Which I also administer.)

This kind of thing is typical of Android. My handset's application launcher occasionally crashes and reboots. Occasionally, Google Services or Google Play Services goes wonky and sucks down the battery. When Google Play Services goes wonky, sometimes it's because it's trashed a Contacts record (again), so the Contacts have to be wiped and re-synced from scratch, which then invalidates all the "desktop" shortcuts to direct (phone) dialing, so they have to all be redone.

These are examples of why some people call Android "The New Windows."

The only reason my tablet doesn't give me much trouble, any more, is because I replaced Samsung's crap firmware with CM. Don't dare try that on my handset, because it's too-easily brickable. Plus I'd lose WiFi calling.
    It's possible your specific example is an app issue, and not an "android issue". Have you tried other email clients? Also, the "wonkiness" happens on all major platforms. None of them are immune to it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    It's possible your specific example is an app issue, and not an "android issue".
    Could be. I bug-reported it to the K9 Mail bug-tracker.

Have you tried other email clients?
    I haven't found another that's equal to K9 Mail in layout, configuration, UI, flexibility, etc. I'm willing to entertain suggestions.

But it isn't just the email problem, as I noted. It's the "collection" of bad behaviour. For example: Google knows about the Contacts problem. Why don't they fix it? They know about Services going nuts and consuming battery. Why don't they fix it?

Don't even get me started on how many extant Android-based devices will never see an update, because the manufacturers and wireless carriers see no profit in it.

Sorry, I'm just venting. I'm annoyed

Also, the "wonkiness" happens on all major platforms. None of them are immune to it.
    Perhaps. But I don't want my rant to turn into yet another "Android vs. whatever" flame-fest, so let's name no other names, shall we?

This is just like I said: Why I don't love the Android experience. It's not like I feel there's anything necessarily "better" out there, right now.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Could be. I bug-reported it to the K9 Mail bug-tracker.

I haven't found another that's equal to K9 Mail in layout, configuration, UI, flexibility, etc. I'm willing to entertain suggestions.

But it isn't just the email problem, as I noted. It's the "collection" of bad behaviour. For example: Google knows about the Contacts problem. Why don't they fix it? They know about Services going nuts and consuming battery. Why don't they fix it?

Don't even get me started on how many extant Android-based devices will never see an update, because the manufacturers and wireless carriers see no profit in it.

Sorry, I'm just venting. I'm annoyed

Perhaps. But I don't want my rant to turn into yet another "Android vs. whatever" flame-fest, so let's name no other names, shall we?

This is just like I said: Why I don't love the Android experience. It's not like I feel there's anything necessarily "better" out there, right now.
    I used this app a LONG time ago, so I can't speak to its functionality now, but when I used it I like it better than K-9.

Like any other business, they have to put resources into fixing issues, and the Services bug, for example, is probably so random that paying an engineer or two to sit around and try to duplicate it to troubleshoot it isn't worth the investment on their part. It's not ideal, for sure, but it's most likely what's going on.

The device update path is a sore spot for a lot of people unfortunately. Yes, it's money driven. I'm not sure I see that changing anytime soon.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

That got done when I upgraded the handset to 4.0.3. Do I need to do that regularly?
    I would recommend it.

g2
    Live long and prosper.

Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I used this app a LONG time ago, so I can't speak to its functionality now, but when I used it I like it better than K-9.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's ad-driven (*ick*) and the "pro" version is... $18?!?!

My Lord: DtG didn't cost me $18.

Like any other business, they have to put resources into fixing issues, and the Services bug, for example, is probably so random that paying an engineer or two to sit around and try to duplicate it to troubleshoot it isn't worth the investment on their part.
    Shows a lack of software quality concern and competence. Same thing that has made MS-Win what it's been. Thus: "Android: The new Windows."

I don't do anything "sensitive" on any MS-Win boxen--either at work or at home. A couple years ago I informed my wife "Do not use your MS-Win PC to do banking, manage our 401K, or anything else sensitive. Despite the fact that I, personally, am looking after it: I cannot warrant that it'll be exploit-free at any time. Use my Linux box. It's much safer." (Soon she'll be running Linux, herself.)

Unfortunately: I feel the same way about Android I see people talking about using Google Wallet and the like and I think "Are you nuts?"

The device update path is a sore spot for a lot of people unfortunately. Yes, it's money driven. I'm not sure I see that changing anytime soon.
    Then it's going to continue to be a sore spot. And it's going to continue to be a negative for Android.

Thanks for your feedback, Kevin. It's appreciated.

On clearing the cache regularly...
    I would recommend it.

g2
    *sigh*

Thanks, g2.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

And, now, following the reboot, those id10t Google Play Services are going to town, sucking down battery again.

Sometimes I dislike Android every bit as much as I do MS-Win, and I utterly detest MS-Win...

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Maybe Android is not for you.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    Thanked by:
    Synycalwon and Fairclough like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    Maybe Android is not for you.
    I read that, then went out and cleared the snow off the driveway. Thought about your comment. You could be right.

That doesn't change the fact that Google's code is damn poor, however. You're kind of saying "Maybe damn poor code is not for you."
    Fairclough likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

It's not for everyone. I can live with glitches, but not every one can or wants to. At least you have a choice.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    Fairclough likes this.

What handset do you have? I agree it's frustrating when stuff goes wrong. But you compare Android/Google software to Windows and in my experience Android is far less buggy. It's faster and problem free so far on my Nexus 5. It's problem free on my F7. It's fine on my Hydro although the hardware causes the OS to seem buggy with freezes and phantom starts of apps.

I'm not invalidating your woes but just saying for a lot of people Android does work flawlessly most or all of the time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairclough likes this.

I read that, then went out and cleared the snow off the driveway. Thought about your comment. You could be right.

That doesn't change the fact that Google's code is damn poor, however. You're kind of saying "Maybe damn poor code is not for you."
    Maybe it's k9. I've never used it because I like gmail. But here's a good review of a different email client.

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I work in IT and its been my experience that all platforms have some glitches. I'll just say that Android doesnt have any that are memorable enough to me to be notable.

gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Synycalwon likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    What handset do you have?
    HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. I fear it's stuck on 4.0.3 , and that's part of the problem, you see. Many Android manufacturers and wireless carriers update "their" devices just so far, if at all, then you're left out in the cold.

I agree it's frustrating when stuff goes wrong. But you compare Android/Google software to Windows and in my experience Android is far less buggy.
    Well, that's your view and experience. I've three Android devices, and, while all the problems haven't all been Android's fault: They have all been Android devices and they've all been problematical. Frustratingly, as in "close to throwing it out the nearest portal frustratingly," so. In fact: My first Tab 2 got returned due to Samsung-induced bugginess.

My Tab 2, btw, has been nearly flawless ever since I installed CM. Not that there aren't bugs (e.g.: The Bluetooth audio doesn't work), but it's been stable. It doesn't do weird, unexpected things. If I could insall CM on the handset, I would. But it's too easy to brick that particular device, trying to do so, and I'd lose WiFi calling.

I'm not invalidating your woes but just saying for a lot of people Android does work flawlessly most or all of the time.
    I've seen MS-Win users make the same claim... until you start querying them closely. Then you find out they've come to be used to, comfortable with, even, truly execrable behaviour.

Maybe it's k9. I've never used it because I like gmail. But here's a good review of a different email client.

That particular bug: Perhaps so. Thanks for the pointer. I'll give it a look.

And thanks for trying to talk me down off the ledge. Same to the others, here. I appreciate the understanding and lack of flamage
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Windows has bugs?

gp8.3
    Last edited by Haalcyon; 12-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    Live long and prosper.

mrsmumbles likes this.

HTC Sensation 4G on T-Mobile. I fear it's stuck on 4.0.3 , and that's part of the problem, you see. Many Android manufacturers and wireless carriers update "their" devices just so far, if at all, then you're left out in the cold.

Well, that's your view and experience. I've three Android devices, and, while all the problems haven't all been Android's fault: They have all been Android devices and they've all been problematical. Frustratingly, as in "close to throwing it out the nearest portal frustratingly," so. In fact: My first Tab 2 got returned due to Samsung-induced bugginess.

My Tab 2, btw, has been nearly flawless ever since I installed CM. Not that there aren't bugs (e.g.: The Bluetooth audio doesn't work), but it's been stable. It doesn't do weird, unexpected things. If I could insall CM on the handset, I would. But it's too easy to brick that particular device, trying to do so, and I'd lose WiFi calling.

I've seen MS-Win users make the same claim... until you start querying them closely. Then you find out they've come to be used to, comfortable with, even, truly execrable behaviour.

That particular bug: Perhaps so. Thanks for the pointer. I'll give it a look.

And thanks for trying to talk me down off the ledge. Same to the others, here. I appreciate the understanding and lack of flamage
    I understand your frustration, I really remember the problems I had with Windows. And I like Windows (xp), but my computer would crash like crazy on ME and 2000. On XP it was more a matter of slowing to a crawl.

My Nexus is so far perfect. The only problem I've had so far was before the updates Search stalled a few times. But I would say that next time you upgrade, I truly recommend a Nexus. It has no carrier or manufacturer added stuff that could slow it down or cause conflicts. Android for me is just far more stable than Windows. (I dunno about WP, but the pc Windows). I do less on my phone than I did on my pc, granted, but still for equivalent functions, Android has been fantastic.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

I'm not sure what the answer will be for you Stone, so I'll just make the same suggestion I usually make in these situations: there are less buggy OS's than Android. But they also do less. Up to you to decide based on your needs
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Xchange makes an excellent point, everyone has said WP runs super smoothly, also BlackBerry (not looking to cause trouble here!) is supposed to be a very stable platform for business use. The latter could definitely use the patronage too. And then there's iOS...

Global Posts
    6,221 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I dont believe all Android phones/implementations are equally buggy. I honestly don't know what "bugs" CM10.2 has as I don't see the flaws. However, I will more closely monitor my two phones with it. My G Pad 8.3 doesn't seem buggy either so it makes me wonder if I've I've dimply become numb to the kind of "bugs" some people see.

Optimus G Pro
    Live long and prosper.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Looked at it. Boomerang does only Gmail. I have three additional email accounts: All SMTP (w/STARTTLS) and IMAPS. Thanks for the suggestion, nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    I'm not sure what the answer will be for you Stone, so I'll just make the same suggestion I usually make in these situations: there are less buggy OS's than Android. But they also do less. Up to you to decide based on your needs
    Unfortunately, of the current non-experimental systems, Android is the best, for me. I'm hoping Ubuntu proves viable, but that's not today.

Xchange makes an excellent point, everyone has said WP runs super smoothly, also BlackBerry (not looking to cause trouble here!) is supposed to be a very stable platform for business use. The latter could definitely use the patronage too. And then there's iOS...
    WP: Not on a bet! I've been dealing with Microsoft's brokenness for so long I've come to hate Microsoft and everything they're ever produced, or ever will produce, with a deep and abiding passion. My dream, my goal, is, after retirement (in a few more years): To never have to so much as look at another piece of MS crapware again for as long as I live!

I don't think Blackberry would suit me. Besides: Protestations to the contrary: Their prognosis doesn't look very good to me.

iOS... y'know... Apple makes some damn nice products... and I've never liked any of them for my use.

I don’t believe all Android phones/implementations are equally buggy.
    I think that's clearly true. But there are other things where it's not. For example: I've been swapping email with the author of . The app addresses a flaw, or flaws, in Google's code. It may or may not be this/these flaw(s) that's causing one of my problems.

As one person noted in a review of that app: "Sad that we need this app" And sad it is.

I honestly don't know what "bugs" CM10.2 has as I don't see the flaws.
    CM 10.2 isn't stable, yet, is it?

As for "not seeing flaws": That happens. A while ago, in Yet Another Android vs. iOS thread, somewhere, an iPerson noted several fairly common, and recurring problems with Andorid devices as compared to iOS devices. I hit "Reply," prepared to put him in his place--until I got to thinking... and realized most of things he'd pointed-out, I'd experienced. I'd just gotten used to them, so didn't think about them any more.

After force-stopping the Google Contacts app, clearing its data, and restarting its sync: My handset appears to be behaving itself this morning. And, unlike the previous "fix" procedure I was using: It doesn't invalidate my direct dial shortcut widgets. Yay! \o/ If that works: I'll live with it.

But it should not be necessary.

Just like having to occasionally clear the device's cache from recovery should not be necessary.
    Thanked by:

I work in IT and its been my experience that all platforms have some glitches. I'll just say that Android doesn’t have any that are memorable enough to me to be notable.
    That has been my experience too (17 years in IT ). I've seen my fair share of issues on all OS platforms: Android, IOS, Windows Phone, Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix, even mainframe!, none are without glitches. For Android though, I'd say that anything pre-Jelly Bean is far glitchier and problematic and needs a lot more hand holding. So if you're still on an older pre-Jelly Bean device, I'd recommend updating to a new one to get off those older less stable OS's. I can honestly say my current devices (Note 2 and Note 10.1) running Jelly Bean 4.1 have been pretty rock solid and trouble free. They just work!

I do have to say though that IMO Google sometimes tends to use its end users as beta testers, putting out some highly buggy updates (OS or apps). But that's always kind of been their nature.

I agree with Synycalwon, my Nexus 5 works amazingly well and fast as light almost. And my Jelly Bean phone hasn't as much speed or power but no issues with it either.

Too bad the email alternative doesn't suit though.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

You sound like you've been around a while OP, I think what you're noticing is that handsets are now catching up to the problem that afflicts other electronics. The more complex they become, the more screw ups that appear. I can sympathize. Unfortunately the more this happens, the smaller the pool becomes of manufacturers that get it right. Which leaves us looking for manufacturers to shop that not only make better and more reliable hardware, but also the software that drives it. Some do a pretty decent job at one or the other, some do a bad job at both. Rarer are the ones who excel at both. And if you've set your bar very high as a customer, that means a lot of frustration.
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast