Should I get an Android or not??

davidg4781

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm way past due for an upgrade and itching for something new to play with. I'm currently with Sprint and have a BlackBerry Curve 8330. While I like the Curve, I feel it's more of a business device with consumer features than a fun consumer device with options and great apps and such.

In the past, I've used a Palm Treo and LOVED it. I've considered the Palm Pre, but their app catalog isn't as diverse as I'd like it to be. I know you can get some homebrewed apps, but I'm just looking at what's available on the surface. There's also been some hardware issues that I don't wish to deal with.

I haven't really looked at the Hero, but I do like the wide variety of apps (at least the Sprint guy said there was a wide variety). I also like the form factor, but not so much the color.

I know I'd be getting biased response, but I'd like to know what y'all think I should do. Right now, my plan is to wait for something else to come out, while being dragged to Palm (brand loyalty, and all that). Android seems great, but it's new. And BlackBerry...eh, it's ok, but not really what I want.

I'd really want an iPhone, but I am not leaving Sprint. I just thought I'd throw that out there, so everyone knows where I'm coming from.

I'm also a Mac user and keep all my contacts and calendar on Apple's iCal and Address Book. My email's with Gmail. I know I can have Address Book subscribe to my Gmail address book, but I like having it local. Same goes for iCal. I can move it all to Gmail if it would be best.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I say get an Android device. I had a Blackberry Storm and it wasn't 'fun' enough. Storm 2 is much, much better but right now i'm on Android. Android 2.0 is extremely customizable and its only going to get better.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Now this is the question people should be asking and not which phone to get. This is a definite yes! Even though Android is a young OS it is well on its way to being the most superior. Its fast, has a great browser, fully customizable, responsive, reliable, and most important open. In my opinion, it has already surpassed Blackberry. The only thing Blackberry has against it and every other smartphone OS for that matter is push email. But I say if you need a business phone with 10 email accounts and have them all pushed to your phone that get it and use it just for business and have your own personal phone. Android is a great experience and I think anyone interested should give it a shot. You won't be dissapointed.

davidg4781

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I say get an Android device. I had a Blackberry Storm and it wasn't 'fun' enough. Storm 2 is much, much better but right now i'm on Android. Android 2.0 is extremely customizable and its only going to get better.

What's the difference between the Storm and the Curve, besides the hardware? I,t's still the same OS, right?

I have people at work excited because they have the new Curve or the Tour and I just can't get excited. I know it's the same exact OS (maybe it looks flashier, but pretty much the same) as what I have. I get excited over different OSs or really different hardware. Flat buttons instead of round ones do nothing for me.

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
What's the difference between the Storm and the Curve, besides the hardware? I,t's still the same OS, right?

I have people at work excited because they have the new Curve or the Tour and I just can't get excited. I know it's the same exact OS (maybe it looks flashier, but pretty much the same) as what I have. I get excited over different OSs or really different hardware. Flat buttons instead of round ones do nothing for me.

Its basically the same, thats the problem. RIM should make a OS especially for the Storm series. Its just the same OS tweeked for a touchscreen. The Tour and Curve not only look the same, the OS changes slightly with each firmware update and that's it. But many, many people like it, mostly business users. The only thing i miss is the instant e-mail. I'm having sporadic e-mail on my Droid right now but that's a small price to pay for having a fun device. Ok, now i have to go figure out what to put on my 7 home screens. Decisions, Decision..............

anon(5320)

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
As a current Curve 8330 owner and SprintUser, I understand your dilemma. I found myself enjoying the Curve, far more than what I expected; but I've been watching the Androids for a while thinking I'd probably go that direction when Sprint got a few good phones (I have no interest in leaving Sprint either at this time either). The Hero came out and I have heard the UI is terrific, but it was at times a little sluggish. I read that the OS update released recently helped that issue. The Samsung Moment was recently released with a beast of a processor and the slide out QWERTY, along with it's ability to display 16 million colors. I do with the screen resolution was a bit better, but overall, it seems to be a great phone with the new OS coming out after the first of the year (no definitive date as of yet, but it was confirmed to be coming in 2010). I plan on picking one up in the very near future...I'm rather excited!

Tennessee

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I was a storm user and was about ready to pull the trigger and get a storm2 but then started reading about the droid. I am VERY happy with my choice to pass on the Storm2 and get the Droid.

He123321

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
To the OP...

The only way you will know if an Android device is for you, will be by trying out one. Im about to trade my Tour for a Moment (I hope), and I did some playing around to the point that I will be jumping ship soon. :cool:

boomhower1820

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
OP just try it out. I have tried pretty much everything out there. I used windows mobile for years, tried BB for a couple months with the Tour, and now am using webos with the pre. My Hero should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, I just can't resist trying out a new OS.