1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Evo: CM7

Angry Sms spam! :(

Does anyone else get SPAM SMS messages? Email SPAM is bad enough but with email filters, etc I've learned to deal with it. SMS SPAM is a whole nother story though!!

Crap makes me irate when I get them. I used to never get them and I've gotten 3 today. I'm really hoping this doesn't snowball ...
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

ROM

Arg!!! I got another one this morning! This crap is starting to **** me off ... sigh

Default Re: Sms spam! :(

Most of them u can respond stop and they will
    HTC Shooter

Stalk Me
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM

They seemed to have slowed down. I just got 4 in one day out of no where so I was really starting to worry. I haven't gotten any in the past 24 hours.

I got four within 24 hours of buying my Fascinate but responded to all of them to stop receiving the messages and haven't gotten any since. Hopefully it stays that way...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

There were a few days about a year ago (on my BB), I was receiving two bank-phishing-scam SMS on the hour every hour, day and night. I received close to a hundred in about 4 days, and I was on a 400/mo plan at the time.

Obviously, STOP didn't work in this case.

T-mobile was absolutely no help when I called them. They suggested I cancel messaging altogether or change my number. (isn't that some crazy ****?)

With a little of my own investigation though, I found that the messages originated from an email address and were merely delivered to me via SMS. With no help from TMO, I was finally able to filter the t-mobile email for that phone (not the BB email, just the address). That appeared to fix the problem with no ill-effects.

Had the SMSs been delivered fully through SMS protocol, I would have been hosed.

I was irate through all of this. I still can't believe there is no way to filter out malicious SMSs at the carrier. I could block it at the phone, but TMO still would have happily charged me for the extra 1500 messages.

I hate SMS, but we're stuck with it until the dumb-phones are eradicated from the planet.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by exiii View Post
    Holy crap. I thought a few a day were bad.

I'm still getting these damn things and keep replying STOP. It's usually only a few every other day but it's still annoying as hell. I just got one a few minutes ago.

It really makes me wonder if it is somehow linked to a sprint email associated with my phone. When I was on Verizon (with the same number) for YEARS I never got a single SMS spam (that I recall). After being on Sprint for 2 months this started.

I know Verizon had a similar email/phone setup where someone could email 555<thenumber>@vzw.com (or something like that) and you'd receive it as a text.

Call Blocker free app handles it best. I have used it for last 6 months and my box is clean.

Hello,
    I'm doing a piece for The NY Times about SMS Spam and would like to speak to those people on this thread who have had SMS spam problems.

If you're interested, please PM me (letaub).

Thanks,
    Eric