Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By llamabreath
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Default Desktop or laptop?

What's your preference? Personally I lean towards building my own desktops, since more parts are replaceable when failures occur or upgrades are needed, and I get to choose each and every component that goes into my machine rather than letting an OEM choose for me. Plus... I really like clear cases with blue lights all over them

Default Re: Desktop or laptop?

I'm not that fancy, I go for laptops because they're more convenient.....lol
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Global Posts
    7,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Was this question regarding building custom laptops/desktops or just what we prefer in general?
    I'd rather use a desktop, simply because of the mouse (I know you can use one on a laptop too) and the ability to play more demanding games, with better performance

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

just in general

Desktop is still needed if you do intensive tasking like 3D or video editing. I much prefer laptop since its more energy efficient and create less heat. Depend on which laptop you buy some are more easily open to swap parts. I can still manage to open a laptop to swap hdd, ram, dvdrom and even gpu and cpu.

I used to build my own desktops. But around 2005, I switched to using just laptops for their portability.

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

I'm not a gamer so a laptop gets me by. I have 3 of em in fact, a big monster 19" Toshiba Qosmio that has a 1st gen i7, serves as a desktop replacement and is bluray capable, a 14" ultra book (was a sleek book till I threw a 240GB SSD and 16GB of memory at it), and a small 10" (hold your breath!!) Windows 8.1 touchscreen Asus that I bought mostly because I needed exposure to Windows 8 and a touchscreen i3 with 500 GB of memory for $350 was too good a deal to pass up.

My 14" is currently connected to a 24" Dell monitor that I bought last week for $120 via HDMI so I get 9/10ths of the computing power that I'd get with a full sized CPU, but with a much smaller footprint. I actually did some contract work for Nestle Waters about a year ago, and they were updating all of their PCs in their Texas offices with laptops and docking stations. I'm guessing since the price of laptops is on its way down because of all the tablets, they probably got a good deal on a volume purchase.
    Banned

What's a desktop?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    VDub2174 likes this.

Global Posts
    7,753 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    What's a desktop?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    It's a desk that sits on top

Posted via Android Central App
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    566 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by llamabreath View Post
    What's a desktop?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    I think it's a desk that's dominantly into kink?!?!
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I think it's a desk that's dominantly into kink?!?!
    Ooohh... so it's like a pay phone?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I much prefer laptop since its more energy efficient and create less heat.
    Oh really? I have a gaming laptop that could literally cook a piece of meat on the graphics card's heat sink that would challenge that statement.

I prefer a laptop and willing to pay the extra for portability and power. I like going through boutique sellers that let you custom build your system. When I got my gaming rig, it was just as good, if not better than most gaming desktops out there, but it cost a pretty penny. Been wanting a new one because it's getting up there in age, but just need to save the money on top of other bills.