Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default UPS Doesn't really track packages, just gives theoretical guesses

This is what is showing up as my tracking key

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25h91z8fv2...2017.42.53.png

Says plain as day my Nexus 5 is here in Atlanta as of early this morning, and there was a delay due to weather (ice storm which cleared up yesterday).

I call UPS to find out WHY it's delayed, they say it's still in Nashville, TN and hasn't moved since.

I said "wait what, isn't it here in Atlanta?"

she said it isn't, hasn't moved from Nashville.

So I said that the tracking key is showing inaccurate information? It's showing that it was scanned in to Atlanta this morning, so it isn't here?

She says that's not taking into account the weather. Tracking keys are one thing, but that package is not in Atlanta, it's still in Nashville.

She says the package never left due to weather. Said the system automatically updates tracking keys.

Despite the fact that the delivery date says TODAY according to this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/brs8r84pv7...2017.50.42.png

and says it is here. She says it's all wrong.

So is there any truth to what she said? Is the tracking thing really just a piece of theoretical fiction?

Or does that particular rep just have a massive fecal retention problem?

Default Re: UPS Doesn't really track packages, just gives theoretical guesses

Friend of mine is a retired UPS supervisor. Their tracking system is highly sophisticated. If their tracking system says it's in Atlanta: It's in Atlanta.

My thoughts exactly.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Old Stoneface View Post
    Friend of mine is a retired UPS supervisor. Their tracking system is highly sophisticated. If their tracking system says it's in Atlanta: It's in Atlanta.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions

I don't mind my packages being a little late if people lives are at stake in this weather condition. All the shipping are slowed down right now.

sent via tapatalk

ROM
    Stock

I deal with UPS at work all the time. Like the others said, it is where it stated.

If somehow things get messed up it will display an exception message.

Just realize UPS had multiple hubs (including mine) closed during the recent storm. Just be patient. Only takes a day or two for them to get caught back up.

Posted via Android Central App
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I don't mind my packages being a little late if people lives are at stake in this weather condition. All the shipping are slowed down right now.

sent via tapatalk
    Same here, but when the disaster is over, why isn't business resumed?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Same here, but when the disaster is over, why isn't business resumed?
    Depends on the backlog. But going back to what that rep told you, she had to be getting the location information from somewhere. Even if the online tracking you have access to isn't just an estimation like she said, it's a safe bet she was looking at a computer screen telling her the package was in Nashville. So something somewhere glitched, and probably no way to tell which one was correct.

That being said, it's surprising that would happen. I would expect it (and has happened to me) from the USPS, but not UPS. In my case, in less than 24 hrs, a package tracking showed mine was scanned into the local post office, then a dead mail facility a state away, then straight to my house, bypassing the post office. Obviously that's not what actually happened, and I did at least get my package safe and sound.

Global Posts
    7,075 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I have a screenshot of a picture I took on the 19th of the UPS app telling me where my package was on the 20th. Will dig it up and edit this post with it. I'm inclined to think it's less than perfectly accurate.

Photo details will show the date taken, etc: https://plus.google.com/113983502674...ts/b3ZPbpXVKbf

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    I have a screenshot of a picture I took on the 19th of the UPS app telling me where my package was on the 20th.
    Again: I've a friend that is an ex-senior manager for UPS. Unless they've changed something radically w/in the last few years: Every package is scanned at every transition. Exception: Entire containers' transactions "trickle down" to the individual packages they contain. (I.e.: They don't unpack, individually scan, and repack containers as they transition from depot-to-depot.)

My guess about what you saw is the package was scanned into transportation or a container that was scheduled to depart the following day. As such: It may look odd, but one supposes UPS knows when their trucks/containers/etc. are scheduled to leave their facilities . Their other option is to scan it as departed on the exact date it was scanned into the departing transportation or container, when, in fact, they know it will not leave until the next day. That would not be entirely accurate, either.

A bit off topic since this is USPS, but.. it's not even 50miles apart ffs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails UPS Doesn't really track packages, just gives theoretical guesses-usps.jpg